Turn on thread page Beta

Your views 'for' please.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi, in english i am doing a debate on 'should we be able to choose the sex of our babies'

I am arguing for this motion...

Please could some people give me some ideas of what to say!

Thanks alot xxx

ReputationRep:
    Something specific - Females are not affected by the disease haemophilia (and also colourblindness but that isn't exactly dangerous) as it is a genetic disease which only affects males due to their crappo Y chromosome . In this case choosing a female baby would be a positive thing so that your baby wont have to grow up with such a awful disease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sxy_lady)
    hi, in english i am doing a debate on 'should we be able to choose the sex of our babies'

Thanks alot xxx
    you could say something really poncy, like

"in todays ever-changing world, we have more and more choice in our lives: is not choices about the sex of our babies not just another way to improve our quality of life? think of as pre-emptive sex-change operations, according to the will fo the parents. the baby is not consciuos, and so ahs no will i the matter. other animals, such as crocodiles, can choose the sex of their children: should we be no better than crocodiles?! i say up choice for all!!!"

or something like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Something specific - Females are not affected by the disease haemophilia (and also colourblindness but that isn't exactly dangerous) as it is a genetic disease which only affects males due to their crappo Y chromosome . In this case choosing a female baby would be a positive thing so that your baby wont have to grow up with such a awful disease.
    Yes, as you are proposing, define it as "in cases where haemophilia could be inherited".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sxy_lady)

Thanks alot xxx
    Some genetic illnesses are only passed on in males or females so selecting the sex could make sure you get the other.... *is sure you could word this much better + find out examples of these kind of diseases*

if you're that short of ideas, why don't you do something you have a strong opinion about... what do you think about war in the middle-east, fox-hunting, top-up fees ....

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    hey! its not our fault us men have a bit missing off one of our genes!!! the 'y' chromosome cant reapir itself either, so ni afew thousand years, males as a species will die out, and ann summers sales will sky-rocket!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    Some genetic illnesses are only passed on in males or females so selecting the sex could make sure you get the other.... *is sure you could word this much better + find out examples of these kind of diseases*

if you're that short of ideas, why don't you do something you have a strong opinion about... what do you think about war in the middle-east, fox-hunting, top-up fees ....

lou xxx
    It's a debate - she can't chose the motion!!! Also I recommend you read the posts above as they address your first point quite clearly!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    hey! its not our fault us men have a bit missing off one of our genes!!! the 'y' chromosome cant reapir itself either, so ni afew thousand years, males as a species will die out, and ann summers sales will sky-rocket!
    You're right, and the X chromosome is constantly evolving in an attempt to kill off the y chromosome - nice !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    You're right, and the X chromosome is constantly evolving in an attempt to kill off the y chromosome - nice !
    I'll die before that happens, phew!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrozzi)
    I'll die before that happens, phew!
    HURRAH! we're safe for the moment!

but just when you thought it was safe to go back in the 'x' chromosomes

*insert jaws theme music here*

ReputationRep:
    Studies Presented On 18 June 2003 And Published In The Journal Nature Suggest That The Rumours Of The Y’s Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated. Researchers From Whitehead Institute For Biomedical Research In Cambridge, Mass., And Washington University School Of Medicine In St Louis Found That Not Only Does The Y Contain Far More Genes Than Scientists Thought – The Team Found About 78 Genes – It Also Includes A Large Number Of Genes Arranged In Pairs Along This Single Chromosome In Ways That May Allow The Y To Mimic The Paired Chromosome Structure Of The Rest Of The Genome And ****

ReputationRep:
    Blond people will be extinct in 200 years, and men in 250. That's the sort of thing that I used to have read when I had AOL. In which case I'm for having the right to choose the sex of our babies, as men stand a better chance that way than the chance nature is giving us...

Personally I would have a daughter first, or if I'm lucky, triplets!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maskhound)
    Studies Presented On 18 June 2003 And Published In The Journal Nature Suggest That The Rumours Of The Y’s Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated. Researchers From Whitehead Institute For Biomedical Research In Cambridge, Mass., And Washington University School Of Medicine In St Louis Found That Not Only Does The Y Contain Far More Genes Than Scientists Thought – The Team Found About 78 Genes – It Also Includes A Large Number Of Genes Arranged In Pairs Along This Single Chromosome In Ways That May Allow The Y To Mimic The Paired Chromosome Structure Of The Rest Of The Genome And ****
    Do You Know Just How Annoying It Is When You Capitalise Every God Damn Word?!?!?!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.