Turn on thread page Beta

anyone going to london on thursday to protest against George W.? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    They can't ignore us even if they don't listen to us. If you feel strongly about something you shouldn't sit back and do nothing. People in other countries (like Iraq) are being put in prison and tortured just because they want free speech. So now we got that right shouldn't we try and use it on behalf of others?
    umm... hate to point it out, but isn't that PRO-war?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    umm... hate to point it out, but isn't that PRO-war?
    You lost me there? Whats PRO-war!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    for the war

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    for the war
    Lol- yeah I got what it meant. I just wanted to know where I was pro-war in my last post..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    "People in other countries (like Iraq) are being put in prison and tortured just because they want free speech."

just kinda suggests we should "liberate" (aka bomb) them - or am i going crazy?
    please point out if i've made a mistake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    "People in other countries (like Iraq) are being put in prison and tortured just because they want free speech."

just kinda suggests we should "liberate" (aka bomb) them - or am i going crazy?
    please point out if i've made a mistake!
    Hey just because your anti-war doesn't mean you don't want to liberate the Iraqis. You just don't think bombing them is the way to go about..

I'm sure if Blair wasn't so far up Bush's arse and Bush had half a brain cell they could of figured out a better solution.

I'm definatley NOT Pro-war..

ReputationRep:
    sam-its £12 from anchor road- i think we could get maybe jack,george, kate (maybe) us 2, and some others to go. mikes in manchester for is uni interview.

does anyone know where the main body of the protests is going to start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Hey just because your anti-war doesn't mean you don't want to liberate the Iraqis. You just don't think bombing them is the way to go about..

I'm sure if Blair wasn't so far up Bush's arse and Bush had half a brain cell they could of figured out a better solution.

ok, now i getcha!

also, nice sentiments!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)

the only way to liberate them was to go in fighting, can't exactly go in there holding hands and singing peace songs....

i'm anti war because it was fought on the pretense of weapons of mass destruction, which was bull. Bush dont give a damn about the iraqis, which is why the america is so keen to get out of there now when it gets a bit difficult. If saddam had agreed to give up weapons he would still be in power

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Why the :rolleyes:, I always admire people who actually have the willpower to make their opinions known, regardless of whether or not I agree with them. What's the point in freedom of speech if everyone decides that theres is "no point to protest" and just accepts the status quo.
    Hehehe, I guess...! people in our country hate too much though, it's really annoying. Nevermind

ReputationRep:
    No, we didn't have to go in to Iraq guns blazing to liberate the people of Iraq. A calculated assassination operation which actually targeted the key members of the regime would have had the same effect if not better than the operation that was chosen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    No, we didn't have to go in to Iraq guns blazing to liberate the people of Iraq. A calculated assassination operation which actually targeted the key members of the regime would have had the same effect if not better than the operation that was chosen.
    so the question is why didnt they?
    answer: beacuse george w. needed to show his strength, and besides

"they hurt my daddy"
    George W. Bush

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Hehehe, I guess...! people in our country hate too much though, it's really annoying. Nevermind
    I wouldn't equate political protest with "hate" but yes anyways..

ReputationRep:
    The simple answer they didn't do the assassination attempt is because they're americans. Loud, love war and just love to go and invade countries with all their guns blazing. Plus it's good for the economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    yeah so the baat'h party would still be in power. the only way to topple a government would be armed force (like we saw) or a huge propaganda campaign/funding gurreilla fighters which we saw in afgahastan with the soviet invasion, the latter would be v.hard due to the grip saddam had on the country and if people remember a lot of the stinger missles fired at americans were sold to the fighters by america a decade ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    yeah so the baat'h party would still be in power. the only way to topple a government would be armed force (like we saw) or a huge propaganda campaign/funding gurreilla fighters which we saw in afgahastan with the soviet invasion, the latter would be v.hard due to the grip saddam had on the country and if people remember a lot of the stinger missles fired at americans were sold to the fighters by america a decade ago
    The Ba'ath still have a lot of power in Iraq- the country is a mess and the Party aswell as a lot of terrorist organisation are using it as a cover to reorganise themselves..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    it does seem to be an american trend doesn't it:

train them, sell them weapons, build defences for them, wait a few years...

then ATTACK! (and make a mess of things)

ReputationRep:
    Why??

If we get rid of the key members there would have been no-one to motivate the average iraqi to take up arms against the americans and british. The route that was taken has not proved entirely successful. There is still resistance happening every day in iraq and it is turning the Iraqi citizens against the americans not how the americans planned it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Why??

If we get rid of the key members there would have been no-one to motivate the average iraqi to take up arms against the americans and british. The route that was taken has not proved entirely successful. There is still resistance happening every day in iraq and it is turning the Iraqi citizens against the americans not how the americans planned it.
    indeed - more americans killed since the war "ended" than during...

ReputationRep:
    How many of the deaths were actually in combat?? Most of the fatalities have been from friendly fire.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.