Turn on thread page Beta

anyone going to london on thursday to protest against George W.? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Why??

If we get rid of the key members there would have been no-one to motivate the average iraqi to take up arms against the americans and british. The route that was taken has not proved entirely successful. There is still resistance happening every day in iraq and it is turning the Iraqi citizens against the americans not how the americans planned it.
    republican guard??? extremely loyal members of the army.
    if you lived your whole life living under saddam when people have been tortured and killed after going against him its got to take a huge motivating factor to get these people to rebel. one of these factors is war.

i dont agree with the war but to me what i'm saying makes sense, it takes the scale of something like war to get things moving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    republican guard??? extremely loyal members of the army.
    if you lived your whole life living under saddam when people have been tortured and killed after going against him its got to take a huge motivating factor to get these people to rebel. one of these factors is war.

i dont agree with the war but to me what i'm saying makes sense, it takes the scale of something like war to get things moving.
    I guess a lot of people think like that because of what the media has told them. If you look deeper you'll realise that there were other ways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    How many of the deaths were actually in combat?? Most of the fatalities have been from friendly fire.
    you know, i dont know! but there were over 6000 deaths of "collateral damage", and no big fuss, yet the very reason BEHIND the war (9.11.) cost only 3000 lives - and look at that for media coverage!

somethings wrong here... M - E - D - I - A

ReputationRep:
    War may motivate people to rebel, but they may not be rebelling against the intended source> If we put ourselves in the position of an Iraqi civilian and we saw cluster bombs and american planes flying over our skies dropping bombs everywhere, it could lead to people rebelling against the americans. After the "fall" of Saddam the country was in tatters, people were evn stealing hospital supplies. To the civilians the country had some sort of order and they weren't living in fear from each other stealing their possessions.

My point is we may get people rebelling but are they rebelling against the same thing we want them to rebel against.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    War may motivate people to rebel, but they may not be rebelling against the intended source> If we put ourselves in the position of an Iraqi civilian and we saw cluster bombs and american planes flying over our skies dropping bombs everywhere, it could lead to people rebelling against the americans. After the "fall" of Saddam the country was in tatters, people were evn stealing hospital supplies. To the civilians the country had some sort of order under saddam and they weren't living in fear from each other stealing their possessions.

My point is we may get people rebelling but are they rebelling against the same thing we want them to rebel against.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    I guess a lot of people think like that because of what the media has told them. If you look deeper you'll realise that there were other ways
    am not thinking from what the media says but from my own sense. certain things could have changed the situation:

war-which we saw, no matter how illegal the grounds for it were.
    assaination: yes but i think you would see a new "saddam" appear extremely quickly
    gurillia fighting: yes, however very long term, many people killed etc etc.
    economic sanctions: would work but would still leave saddam in power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    am not thinking from what the media says but from my own sense. certain things could have changed the situation:

war-which we saw, no matter how illegal the grounds for it were.
    assaination: yes but i think you would see a new "saddam" appear extremely quickly
    gurillia fighting: yes, however very long term, many people killed etc etc.
    economic sanctions: would work but would still leave saddam in power.
    So you are for the war yet your protesting against it!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    So you are for the war yet your protesting against it!? :confused:
    no, i'm against the war in the sense that it was fought on the wrong motives. Bush doesnt care about the iraqis, its about face, strength and oil to name a few. having seen the outcome of the war im annoyed at the inability of the americans to sort it all out and they should GET OUT and leave it to the iraqi ppl. But i love the fact that the iraqis have freedom again, newspapers are back, art, culture will follow and iraq will hopefully will be the intectual cultural place it was before saddam. no one has to fear torture, death, imprisionment for just expressing opposiiton to a ruler.

so in that sense, yes, im glad it did happen but would have prefered another way to remove saddam. the fact that the governemnts lied to everyone to force through an unpopular/undemocratic war based on our protection (from nothing) and not for the prtection of the iraqi ppl is what i despise and why im anti war

hope you get me, kinda makes sense to me but i dont make a lot of sense most of the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Hey just because your anti-war doesn't mean you don't want to liberate the Iraqis. You just don't think bombing them is the way to go about..

I'm sure if Blair wasn't so far up Bush's arse and Bush had half a brain cell they could of figured out a better solution.

I'm definatley NOT Pro-war..
    So come on, let's hear your better totally-passive solution. People who are totally anti-war and think there's always a solution via other means are very short-sighted. Someone like Saddam Hussein is not just going to say "Oh yeah, I realise I'm an evil man, sorry, I'll just organise a fair and democratic election, just give me a second". It's rare in a situation such as this that you can successfully fight fire with anything other than fire.

What's even more annoying are all of those kids and students who decide to mobilise at the slightest hint of anything involving protesting and mindless expression of left-wing sentiments and opinions they probably don't even fully understand. This seems to have become fashionable more than anything else and is probably why little attention is ever paid to such protests any more.

Regards,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    What's even more annoying are all of those kids and students who decide to mobilise at the slightest hint of anything involving protesting and mindless expression of left-wing sentiments and opinions they probably don't even fully understand. This seems to have become fashionable more than anything else and is probably why little attention is ever paid to such protests any more.

Regards,
    you should have seen our school when there were protests in the centre of town. virtually empty lol, they all wanted time off school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    you know, i dont know! but there were over 6000 deaths of "collateral damage", and no big fuss
    I couldn't agree more...

I cannot believe that apparently civilised countries such as the US and more importantly the UK still consider war to be an option. Blair and Bush kept on saying it was a last resort but that is just ********.

Lots of people die in war, it is easy to say 6000 people died without realising what that means. 2 girls die in soham and the whole country mourns, 6000 iraqis die and nobody gives a ****. How can a civilised country still consider war an option, we should be leading by example to show that the world needs to move on. We should be able to create a world in which war is not necessary.

Well, I am not naive enough to think that will ever happen, but that is what we should aim for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikesgt2)
    I couldn't agree more...

I cannot believe that apparently civilised countries such as the US and more importantly the UK still consider war to be an option. Blair and Bush kept on saying it was a last resort but that is just ********.

Lots of people die in war, it is easy to say 6000 people died without realising what that means. 2 girls die in soham and the whole country mourns, 6000 iraqis die and nobody gives a ****. How can a civilised country still consider war an option, we should be leading by example to show that the world needs to move on. We should be able to create a world in which war is not necessary.

Well, I am not naive enough to think that will ever happen, but that is what we should aim for.
    here here

ReputationRep:
    So come on, let's hear your better totally-passive solution. People who are totally anti-war and think there's always a solution via other means are very short-sighted. Someone like Saddam Hussein is not just going to say "Oh yeah, I realise I'm an evil man, sorry, I'll just organise a fair and democratic election, just give me a second". It's rare in a situation such as this that you can successfully fight fire with anything other than fire.

Regards,

The pacifist argument (which I’m not saying I totally agree with ) is based around dealing with issues at their root cause so that problems force you into a position where you’re left with a Catch 22 situation on your hands.

I also think it’s a bit arrogant of you to deny people the right to protest because they don’t understand an issue in enough detail.

Obviously, people should be encouraged to read around any subject that interests them rather than merely spouting soundbites, but at the same time I think anybody (regardless of their level of understanding) should have the right to speak up for what they believe in, whether or not they are listened to is another issue entirely.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people from my school are taking the day off I may join them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    The pacifist argument (which I’m not saying I totally agree with ) is based around dealing with issues at their root cause so that problems force you into a position where you’re left with a Catch 22 situation on your hands.

I also think it’s a bit arrogant of you to deny people the right to protest because they don’t understand an issue in enough detail.

Obviously, people should be encouraged to read around any subject that interests them rather than merely spouting soundbites, but at the same time I think anybody (regardless of their level of understanding) should have the right to speak up for what they believe in, whether or not they are listened to is another issue entirely.
    OK, maybe I could have worded that better. What I was criticising was the mindless protest culture which most students seem to subscribe to, i.e. protest for the sake of protest. Protest for the sake of attention and a desire to feel a part of something rebellious.

ReputationRep:
    OK, maybe I could have worded that better. What I was criticising was the mindless protest culture which most students seem to subscribe to, i.e. protest for the sake of protest. Protest for the sake of attention and a desire to feel a part of something rebellious.
    Yes, there are plenty of people who protest mindlessly. However, there are an even larger group of people who mindlessly accept the status quo. Why criticize one and not the other?

ReputationRep:
    i would love to go to london on thursday...but cant because i have an Exam.

im sure the uni did it on purpose so that we would all b there.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    i'd loved to see someone get in to the road and protest infromt of the motercade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    i'd loved to see someone get in to the road and protest infromt of the motercade
    why?

ReputationRep:
    i really wanted 2 but mite not b able to now!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.