anyone going to london on thursday to protest against George W.?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Lol so true Vienna, they could argue for ages about modern and classical liberalism.
El_Borish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
know your stuff? you must have all been busy overnight!
you need a tory to have a debate?
on political issues, it sometimes helps to have someone of the opposing viewpoint for a debate, lol :rolleyes:
El_Borish
Rep:
?
(Original post by G4ry)
Lol so true Vienna, they could argue for ages about modern and classical liberalism.
surely liberalism is an ongoing process, pushing back the constrictions of mass habit to allow greater freedoms? conservatism is the belief that things should be kept how they are.

both are inevitably going to change, and both will always object to the others viewpoints, but is it not foolish to believe that you can keep things the way they are forever...?
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
But liberals argue greatly about how the term "freedom" is defined.
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
This has no relevance to what we're talking about. But I've been wondering about it for ages and I'd like to know your opinions on it..

Do you think polticial extremism is justified? I mean there always has to be a compromise on issues.. and if your don't push hard enough the compromise probably won't go in you favour. Or do you think that if you are extreme so as to get your cause heard this could go against what your trying to do as people will think your being unreasonable?

(Hope that makes sense)
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by El_Borish)
surely liberalism is an ongoing process, pushing back the constrictions of mass habit to allow greater freedoms? conservatism is the belief that things should be kept how they are.

both are inevitably going to change, and both will always object to the others viewpoints, but is it not foolish to believe that you can keep things the way they are forever...?
The "generally accepted" definition is that conservatives want smaller central governments and more individual liberty, while liberals want government to "do more," and individual liberty suffers (as an unintended result)."
Joker_fX
Report 17 years ago
If you brits want to protest bush, fine do it, toss roting eggs at him for all i care,but
don't you DARE deface our flag!

The same flag that flys over the graves of those poor boys in normandy,The same flag that was on my gradfathers
B-17 when he took off from an air base in the uk one day in 1943 and never came back. The same flag that was on the uniform of every GI that died fighting the nazis or died in the hell that was the trenchs of WWI,

Who died for "our" freedom..

please do not dishonor there memory buy defaceing our beloved flag.

Do you really want to turn on CNN one day and see a bunch of pissed off yanks burning the union jack outside the british embassy? i'll be one of them if i see you all pissing all over our flag!
El_Borish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elle)
This has no relevance to what we're talking about. But I've been wondering about it for ages and I'd like to know your opinions on it..

Do you think polticial extremism is justified? I mean there always has to be a compromise on issues.. and if your don't push hard enough the compromise probably won't go in you favour. Or do you think that if you are extreme so as to get your cause heard this could go against what your trying to do as people will think your being unreasonable?

(Hope that makes sense)
true, a good compromise leaves everybody mad, but any compromise is better than violence. i wont go int my views on the twin towers, but whatever it did, it cost lives - just as the afghan and iraqi war did too. i can't accept there was no alternative.
theres always a better way than what we've sen recently, from all sides of the spectrum, american AND others
El_Borish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joker_fX)
If you brits want to protest bush, fine do it, toss roting eggs at him for all i care,but
don't you DARE deface our flag!

The same flag that flys over the graves of those poor boys in normandy,The same flag that was on my gradfathers
B-17 when he took off from an air base in the uk one day in 1943 and never came back. The same flag that was on the uniform of every GI that died fighting the nazis or died in the hell that was the trenchs of WWI,

Who died for "our" freedom..

please do not dishonor there memory buy defaceing our beloved flag.

Do you really want to turn on CNN one day and see a bunch of pissed off yanks burning the union jack outside the british embassy? i'll be one of them if i see you all pissing all over our flag!
i don't like the image of the union jack anyway - if my country had any decency it would change its flag to represent the change in the times from that when our empire was huge, and places like india were under our control. not that thats likely to happen! flags are symbols of patriotism, and im not patriotic.

by the way, we died too, y'know?
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)

(Hope that makes sense)
there was another thread on this at some point

http://www.uk-learning.net/t13798.html
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
So because some people may burn an american flag it makes it ok for you t o disgrace the union jack that people have also died for. I think someone's a hypocrite.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i cant be in London cos I have an essay but if I could i would. I am not a fan of George Bush.
I believe in organised peaceful protest though.
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
there was another thread on this at some point

http://www.uk-learning.net/t13798.html
Yeah I remember that one..
but I'm not really talking about violence or any sort of action. More about extreme political views..

For example people think that feminists have gone to far and destroyed the movement while other believe that they had to have such extreme views in order to get equality..
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
If it wasn't for the Suffragettes women would still be living in the stone ages. So i think extremism does proceed issues other than standing chanting a few slogans.
Vienna
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
personally, i would consider myself partly liberal in the classical sense, old Whiggism as Hayek puts it. although i refrain from that term today because it has so many different meanings.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by El_Borish)

the criticism of conservatism is that it offers no 'other way'. it just opposes radical change.
El_Borish
Rep:
?
(Original post by G4ry)
So because some people may burn an american flag it makes it ok for you t o disgrace the union jack that people have also died for. I think someone's a hypocrite.
i never said i'd deface the flag, just that i have no respect fro my own - a flag is personal to a country, so it's not my place to deface it - thats an americans perogative if they want, but it doesnt hold much swing if i were to do it.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
The "generally accepted" definition is that conservatives want smaller central governments and more individual liberty, while liberals want government to "do more," and individual liberty suffers (as an unintended result)."
thats a very politicised image. ideologically its almost the opposite.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It wasn't a reply to you Borish, it was aimed at Joker FX.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
Yeah I remember that one..
but I'm not really talking about violence or any sort of action. More about extreme political views..

For example people think that feminists have gone to far and destroyed the movement while other believe that they had to have such extreme views in order to get equality..
feminism started having problems when they lost their enemy. they dont have a real target anymore, so as a doctrine, it just turns on itself.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (39)
13.93%
Virtual campus tours/open days (63)
22.5%
Live streaming events (25)
8.93%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (27)
9.64%
A uni comparison tool (65)
23.21%
An in-person event when available (61)
21.79%