Is a rejection final? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
As a "non standard" student I had taken it upon myself to telephone the admissions staff at all the places that I am applying to in order to "test the water" and maybe "score some points" before I applied through U.C.A.S.

I did this as many places do not really consider mature students and I wanted to test their attitude before wasting an application slot.

Infact in one place where I physically called in to just to pick up a brochure (prospectus) the admissions tutor had some free time and even interviewed me and made me an offer on the spot. This was later confirmed through U.C.A.S. after I made my formal application.

I was however slightly upset with another admissions department whom I telephoned. After explaining my plight they said that upon recieving my application they would most probably call me for an interview as they do with many "mature" students. I do however accept that this was not a guarantee.

You can then imagine my sadness when I logged into U.C.A.S. to see that they just straight rejected me - not even the offer of an interview. I was gutted .

So - is a rejection final or could I get on the phone and try and work some charm with them in an attempt to get an interview?
fionah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would have thought it was final, but it wouldn't hurt you to call up and explain that it was expressed to you that you'd be asked for an interview and then you weren't.. and ask why not.. Mostly because if you don't do that you won't know and it could become one of those niggling things that you regret.

Having said that, what uni was it? Sounds like the other one is nicer!
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
(Original post by fionah)
I would have thought it was final, but it wouldn't hurt you to call up and explain that it was expressed to you that you'd be asked for an interview and then you weren't.. and ask why not.. Mostly because if you don't do that you won't know and it could become one of those niggling things that you regret.

Having said that, what uni was it? Sounds like the other one is nicer!
The subject was Law and the Uni that gave me an "on the spot" interview was Hull. The Uni that rejected me was Leeds.

As the chant goes...

We all hate Leeds, etc...
Allotriophagy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Apparently, you can "go to the media" or "threaten to sue" if you don't get into a university.

a.
Allotriophagy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
But I am just being flippant, of course. As a mature student myself, I have been in your position of not wanting to waste other peoples' time. The attitude of the admissions staff says a lot about a university, I have found.

So just how "non-standard" are you? I'm always eager to talk to other mature students about university applications!

a.
Bhaal85
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
The subject was Law and the Uni that gave me an "on the spot" interview was Hull. The Uni that rejected me was Leeds.

As the chant goes...

We all hate Leeds, etc...
Hull:

The Law School welcomes applications from mature applicants with non-conventional qualifications or from those studying A levels. Our minimum requirements may be modified accoding to each applicant's circumstances and experiences. Mature applicants will usually be offered an interview.

Leeds:

Normally 3 A levels at AAA.

The Department tries to adopt as flexible an attitude towards mature students as possible, given the highly competitive nature of the admissions process.
All applicants to whom offers are made are invited to an open afternoon. We are always happy to consider candidates who wish to defer entry for a year.
If you receive an offer you will be invited to an open afternoon.
Allotriophagy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Plus the difference between Hull and Leeds on the Times Guide is quite big, which probably accounts for something. Though without knowing your qualifications and so on, it would be hard for me to comment further.

a.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Thanks for the help guys - I was just gutted because Leeds gave the impression that mature students were welcome and that with good work experience and a fairly decent interview an offer would be made.

I am doing 2 "A" Levels in one year and hope to do aswell as possible (don't we all).

I am 22 and have three years work experience in a fairly high pressure and responsible job.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks for the help guys - I was just gutted because Leeds gave the impression that mature students were welcome and that with good work experience and a fairly decent interview an offer would be made.

I am doing 2 "A" Levels in one year and hope to do aswell as possible (don't we all).

I am 22 and have three years work experience in a fairly high pressure and responsible job.
Dont feel too bad. I know they have high entry requirements of AAA at A-level, but I'm not sure what criteria they base their offers on for more mature students.

Two A-levels (AS and A2?) whilst in full time employment, hats off. I know people that have quit their AS subjects within the first year.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Thanks - I am doing Government and Politics (1 subject) and English Language.

So far the workload is ok and I have found time to study for 2 - 3 hrs homestudy per subject per week. This is ontop of the actual tuition sessions I attend at Wyke College.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks - I am doing Government and Politics (1 subject) and English Language.

So far the workload is ok and I have found time to study for 2 - 3 hrs homestudy per subject per week. This is ontop of the actual tuition sessions I attend at Wyke College.
I think it doesn't really matter what uni you go to. You should aim for a first class. Then you do your CPE, which is what really counts. When you obtain your first class degree, you can then go off to a slighlty more prestigious university, and do it there. Your work experience, interaction with people, as well as communication skills will put you in good stead for the real world.

I personally cant wait to go to uni and do law, I'm looking forward to the mooning that they do, i.e the court room roleplays that you can take part in.
Allotriophagy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
I personally cant wait to go to uni and do law, I'm looking forward to the mooning that they do, i.e the court room roleplays that you can take part in.
You may want to correct that word.

"I'd like to show you exhibit A...MY ASS CHEEKS!"

a.
La_la_la
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's def worth a try!! My friend got rejected from Edinburgh so called up to ask why. A week later the admissions tutor decided to give her a place and made her an offer!!
hotnanoo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by La_la_la)
It's def worth a try!! My friend got rejected from Edinburgh so called up to ask why. A week later the admissions tutor decided to give her a place and made her an offer!!
As simple as that, is there anything she said or the fact that she was good enogh and they didn't have an answer for her?
La_la_la
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I believe she just asked why and so they agreed to reconsider her application!! However after all that she didn't make the grades.
hotnanoo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by La_la_la)
I believe she just asked why and so they agreed to reconsider her application!! However after all that she didn't make the grades.
thanks i'll try that @ all my uni's if any of them reject me, maybe it'll work thanks
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
I tried to ring the admissions tutor today at Leeds and she was unavailable.

When I do get hold of her I will ask her to reconsider her decision and post the outcome on here!
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Rejection is normally final never hurts to ask though you've got nothing to lose.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I tried to ring the admissions tutor today at Leeds and she was unavailable.

When I do get hold of her I will ask her to reconsider her decision and post the outcome on here!
Good luck.

Just don't get your hopes up too much. Anyway there are plenty of other excellent places to study law; if you don't get into Leeds it isn;t the end of the day.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
(Original post by hildabeast)
Good luck.

Just don't get your hopes up too much. Anyway there are plenty of other excellent places to study law; if you don't get into Leeds it isn;t the end of the day.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Yea, I know but out of the other places I have applied to -

Hull

Pros: Local credible Uni, Parents will be local (even though I would choose halls for the 1st year). I know the city and there isn't the whole hassle of having to up sticks and get to know somewhere new that I may not like. Has the 4th best graduate employment statistics in the country (this is a real, objective statistic). Also my father is friendly with most local solicitors through his job and getting work experience in the summer should be (hopefully) not too mch of a problem. Also they seem to favour local students and due to the location of the place it is not a hot spot that gets oversuscribed and in the worst case of me not getting the grades they are most likley out of all my choices to still take me.

Cons: Ranked lowest out of all places I have applied to (does this actually mean anything?) Do I really want to stay local?

Lancaster

Pros: Good course, er...Isolated Campus setup leads to student bonding, or something. Accomodation being above Lecture Theatres means that I can get our of bed at 08:55 for a 9:00 lecture.

Cons:

Isolated campus could lead to insular "boarding school" mentality (I hated boarding school). The fact you are in a small City means lack of possible student employment. Not much in the town and thought it was like a crap version of York. Is Lancaster anything but a place between Preston and Scotland? THE ONLY REASON THIS PLACE IS A CITY IS BECAUSE OF THE CATHEDERAL hence the fact I have basically called it a town.

Nottingham

Pros:

Good Uni, My Hometown and all in all a very decent place (although I only lived there for about three years). 4:1 ratio of women to men in the City and er...my dad went there, but not to do Law!

Cons:

At night it is supposably a warzone, can't really think of anything else.

Manchester:

Pros:

Good Uni, friends studied various subjects there and enjoyed the experience. I know the City and know the layout of "studentville". I also lived there for some time whilst working in Lancashire.

Cons:

Did not enjoy living in Manchester (although this was probably more to do with my personal circumstances at the time). Perhaps I would see it differently from a student perspective. Also it always rains there.

Newcastle

Pros:

The Geordies.

Cons:

The Geordies.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (3)
50%
No - I got the required grades (2)
33.33%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (1)
16.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed