SOAS (Anthropology) or UEA (Development)?

Watch
Coll4
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm from India. I've got admission for an MA in Anthropology of Media at SOAS and an MA in Media and International Development at the University of East Anglia (UEA). I need to make a decision between the two.

For many, this is a no-brainer. I've been told SOAS is THE best and well respected internationally and that I'd be stupid to refuse a place there and that no one has heard of UEA and that I'd die of boredom at Norwich etc etc

However, I'm am leaning heavily towards UEA because of the sheer practicality of the course and because it will introduce me to development, a field I have long wanted to get in to. (I've worked in journalism for seven years.)

Also, though the SOAS MA is quite interesting, I'm not sure of the chances of me landing a good job after this degree.

The UEA course, on the other hand, is not only practical but seems almost tailor-made for my personal requirements.

What I would like to know is:

1. How well respected is UEA and its degrees in the development world?

2. Does it make sense to take SOAS just because it's so prestigious?

3. Does anyone know anyone I could write to who has done either of these MAs? It would really help.

Many thanks
system49
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
UEA has a strong reputation in development studies as it is one of the only universities in the UK with a dedicated development studies department. The campus at UEA is a bit bizarre being very 1960s experimental style and you are right about Norwich not being that cosmopolitan. However if you are looking to get into International Development then it would make sense to do the development degree at UEA. You are right about SOAS having an overall stronger reputation but it seems like the MA you applied for is not as relevant for the field you are looking to get into.
Coll4
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hey thanks for this... UEA does sound like the better place to go to given what I am looking for.
Also, I'm actually not very worried about Norwich not being too cosmopolitan, after all, I'm there only for a year and am no party animal either.
thanks again
grt
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You won't find a university in the UK that has - as a whole - a stronger relationship to development/developing countries than SOAS. That being said, I don't know either of the degrees but I believe there are some development related options in the MA Anthropology at SOAS as well. So even if it's not part of the degree name, you could use this in applications as well.

You seem to prefer the UEA course - that's fine (I'm currently studying at SOAS (Economics) because I preferred their course to more prestigious unis' courses and I'm happy I made this decision). However, you could get in touch with the relevant professor at SOAS (and UEA?) to ask about the relation to development, usual careers of graduates etc. It doesn't hurt or take too much time and you might get new insights.
Socrates
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
SOAS hands down. In fact, you could change to development at SOAS if that's what you're more interested in, since SOAS quite a few development experts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (15)
32.61%
No (31)
67.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed