The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The uS education system is very different to the UK one. At university rather than studying your chosen subject for 3 years you major into something. In the first year you will pick a major, (which you are able to change) as in the first two years you basically only have to fulfill your GE's (general education.. which is usually a couple of maths, some language, maybe a bit of science, some writing courses such as english or history etc). Then in your last 2 years you will start to concentrate more on your major. I wouldn't say they aren't to such a high standard... and Harvard I would say is better than Oxbridge. The US ivy league universities are to a very high standard so you shouldn't worry about that.

That is a very slimmed down over-view of unis in the states, i'm sure someone will expand more.

It is also hugely expensive and four years long instead of 3
Reply 2
You are aware that in the USA college is split into pretty much three categories? Community colleges, state colleges, ivy league colleges.

Community colleges are 'cheap' at a few thousand a year.

Most State colleges are roughly 30k a year.

Ivy leagues, i'd guess would be at least double that.

I was seriously considering goin to uni in the US but i chose england instead.

Because

a) when i graduate, i wont be half a mortgage in debt from just getting a degree!

b) i devised a better plan. to get my degree in england for less money but do my masters in the states. That way i'd get the best of both worlds.

Unless you think u stand a serious chance of getting a serious scholarship for one of those institutes, i'd say forget about it :eek:
schmeeble
The uS education system is very different to the UK one. At university rather than studying your chosen subject for 3 years you major into something. In the first year you will pick a major, (which you are able to change) as in the first two years you basically only have to fulfill your GE's (general education.. which is usually a couple of maths, some language, maybe a bit of science, some writing courses such as english or history etc). Then in your last 2 years you will start to concentrate more on your major. I wouldn't say they aren't to such a high standard... and Harvard I would say is better than Oxbridge. The US ivy league universities are to a very high standard so you shouldn't worry about that.

That is a very slimmed down over-view of unis in the states, i'm sure someone will expand more.

It is also hugely expensive and four years long instead of 3

You pick ur major at the end of your sophomore year actually but whoever told u an ivy-league degree isnt worth much was definitely wrong. about the expenses, ivy's usually range from 37-42 thousand a year but EVERYONE who needs it can get pretty good financial aid. if u have a shot at getting in, DONT rule out the ivies
Reply 4
xbellax
You pick ur major at the end of your sophomore year actually but whoever told u an ivy-league degree isnt worth much was definitely wrong. about the expenses, ivy's usually range from 37-42 thousand a year but EVERYONE who needs it can get pretty good financial aid. if u have a shot at getting in, DONT rule out the ivies

Most american universities worth their salt have a needs-blind admission policy. that is, they don't look at whether you can afford the tuition fees when deciding whether to accept you. If they do accept you they then figure out how much aid to provide (as an example, harvard provide aid to over 70% of students).

This needs blind policy doesn't hold everywhere; requesting financial aid at Stanford may hurt your chances, but only if you're an international applicant.

In my opinion, a US education at HYSP is superior to that from anywhere in britain, even at undergrad level.
Reply 5
Planxty
You are aware that in the USA college is split into pretty much three categories? Community colleges, state colleges, ivy league colleges.

Community colleges are 'cheap' at a few thousand a year.

Most State colleges are roughly 30k a year.

Ivy leagues, i'd guess would be at least double that.

I was seriously considering goin to uni in the US but i chose england instead.

Because

a) when i graduate, i wont be half a mortgage in debt from just getting a degree!

b) i devised a better plan. to get my degree in england for less money but do my masters in the states. That way i'd get the best of both worlds.

Unless you think u stand a serious chance of getting a serious scholarship for one of those institutes, i'd say forget about it :eek:

No.

Community colleges are two year programs, generally for local students, and usually one lives at home while attending. They issue associate degrees. Admission is not at all difficult - basically, you just sign up for courses. Some let you transfer credit to your respective state college after the two years.

State (public) colleges are usually big. Some are more competitive than others, some are more prestigious than others, most are decent. They get tax money so they cost less, and treat in-state students better than students from other states - tuition is lower and they accept more applicants. They're usually up to around $20,000/year for four years if you're out of state.

Private colleges are usually more expensive. It's hard to make any other generalization about them. Some are tiny, some are huge, some have a religious affiliation, some are very prestigious, some aren't worth your time.
The "Ivy League" is a specific group of private schools (Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, University of Pennsylvania, Yale) with particularly good reputation and difficult admissions. It's an athletic league, though now the term applies to the schools in general. They are not the only schools of high caliber - Stanford, Georgetown, numerous liberal arts schools, etc. These types of schools are about $40,000/year.
Reply 6
ylime
No.

Community colleges are two year programs, generally for local students, and usually one lives at home while attending. They issue associate degrees. Admission is not at all difficult - basically, you just sign up for courses. Some let you transfer credit to your respective state college after the two years.

State (public) colleges are usually big. Some are more competitive than others, some are more prestigious than others, most are decent. They get tax money so they cost less, and treat in-state students better than students from other states - tuition is lower and they accept more applicants. They're usually up to around $20,000/year for four years if you're out of state.

Private colleges are usually more expensive. It's hard to make any other generalization about them. Some are tiny, some are huge, some have a religious affiliation, some are very prestigious, some aren't worth your time.
The "Ivy League" is a specific group of private schools (Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, University of Pennsylvania, Yale) with particularly good reputation and difficult admissions. It's an athletic league, though now the term applies to the schools in general. They are not the only schools of high caliber - Stanford, Georgetown, numerous liberal arts schools, etc. These types of schools are about $40,000/year.

bravo, someone with a bit of knowledge about the US system. Also, University of Chicago, Carnegie Mellon, Tulane, UCLA, UC Berkeley, USC, CalTech, Harvey Mudd, ect. are all amazing schools.
Reply 7
amex
Most american universities worth their salt have a needs-blind admission policy. that is, they don't look at whether you can afford the tuition fees when deciding whether to accept you. If they do accept you they then figure out how much aid to provide (as an example, harvard provide aid to over 70% of students).

This needs blind policy doesn't hold everywhere; requesting financial aid at Stanford may hurt your chances, but only if you're an international applicant.

In my opinion, a US education at HYSP is superior to that from anywhere in britain, even at undergrad level.

however, as an international student you will not be able to be given, "need-based" financial aid. You will instead have to obtain merit-based scholarships.
Reply 8
curryADD
bravo, someone with a bit of knowledge about the US system. Also, University of Chicago, Carnegie Mellon, Tulane, UCLA, UC Berkeley, USC, CalTech, Harvey Mudd, ect. are all amazing schools.
And MIT, and TCNJ, and Michigan, and I could go on forever.

curryADD
however, as an international student you will not be able to be given, "need-based" financial aid. You will instead have to obtain merit-based scholarships.
...which most of the best schools, certainly the Ivies, do not give. Merit scholarships are often a way of bribing strong students to go to schools they wouldn't normally consider, to make the schools look good. The Ivies have no shortage of qualified applicants.
Reply 9
Unless you are very lucky (especially as an international student) you probably will have to pay a LOT more at a US college compared to the tuition in the UK. Also, if you know already what course/major you want to pick, getting a Bachelor’s in 3 years is an advantage (especially if you were paying up to 40k a year...).
Reply 10
xbellax

not sure if that is directed at me, but i never said that an ivy-league degree isn't worth it.

As a one year UC Santa Barbara (ok i know it's harvard) alumni i would defeinetly recommend univeristy in the states... i'm trying everything in power to get back there!!!

oh and also i should have said that you most people have already chosen a major in their first year, you have to apply to a department therefore (at least everyone i knew over there did)and you do have to chose some sort of major in the first year but you are able to change it until the end of the sophmore year when it becomes permanent.
Reply 11
schmeeble
not sure if that is directed at me, but i never said that an ivy-league degree isn't worth it.

As a one year UC Santa Barbara (ok i know it's harvard) alumni i would defeinetly recommend univeristy in the states... i'm trying everything in power to get back there!!!

oh and also i should have said that you most people have already chosen a major in their first year, you have to apply to a department therefore (at least everyone i knew over there did)and you do have to chose some sort of major in the first year but you are able to change it until the end of the sophmore year when it becomes permanent.
It's perfectly possible and not uncommon to apply as undecided, unless of course you're trying to get into a specialty degree program.
Reply 12
so it seems the general concensus is that it probably isn't worth it/it may be too difficult? Btw Is MIT Ivy league or state and what would you say if i said i was strongly considering there? I'm also looking at stanford
Reply 13
chuckster
so it seems the general concensus is that it probably isn't worth it/it may be too difficult? Btw Is MIT Ivy league or state and what would you say if i said i was strongly considering there? I'm also looking at stanford

You might want to check out http://talk.collegeconfidential.com which is the American counterpart to TSR
Reply 14
chuckster

MIT is private, and i believe Ivy league...

It's perfectly possible and not uncommon to apply as undecided, unless of course you're trying to get into a specialty degree program.

yeah, i know, i'm just saying... some people do chose a major before the sophmore year and that most people i knew had chosen when they applied.
Reply 15
MIT is private, but not ivy league.
Reply 16
chuckster

The thing with American universities is that they are quite random in their admissions.

1) Top universities like Harvard/Yale/Princeton and co give a significant proportion of offers to top athletes (recruits), children of potential donors, children of alumni (who may not have otherwise gotten in).

As a result, there is a reduced number of places available for students who are "just smart"

2) Admissions in the US are very different to admissions in the UK. For example the university will not necessarily admit the top 1600 smartest applicants.

They want to admit a diverse class of students from all backgrounds. As a result you will find that if you are asian (Chinese/Indian etc), then it will be generally even tougher for you to get in, since there is such a high proportion of qualified applicants from these backgrounds.

On the other hand, if you are form an under represented minority, your chances may well be boosted.

It may sound racist, but the university is just trying to keep the class diverse.

3) Since the process can be so random, nobody can be sure of getting a place.

You have to realise that these colleges recieve applications that number from 16,000-20,000+. It really is a lottery.

If you're considering MIT/Stanford, there is nothing wrong with it. However, I wouldn't get too hung up on the idea, since there is no certainty whatsoever of getting in.

P.S being international and applying for financial help at Stanford will dent your chances considerably. Personally, I would do undergrad studies in the UK and Graduate studies in the US- when you can actually utilise their great facilities and professors properly.
Reply 17
Clarification. The Ivy League is the following eight schools:
Brown
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Harvard
UPenn
Princeton
Yale
...the end. No more. MIT is not Ivy League. Stanford is not Ivy League. Georgetown is not Ivy League.

For more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_League
yes MIT is not ivy league, but it's just as elite. it was ranked the hardest school to get into in the US
Reply 19
m ok, my bad... i swear though, it should be... georegtown most certainly is not, but that is an amazing school, and campus.

Latest

Trending

Trending