The Student Room Group

LSE v King's College London

Firstly, I would like to say I'm new and I apologise in advance fo any mistakes (e.g. starting this thread in the wrong forum).

Anyway, I'm going to do law and want to become a barrister and with the UCAS deadline gtting closer I find I have an offer from both LSE and King's College London but still can't decide. One thing I do find is that LSE seems to overshadow KCL. From what I know/see (which isn't much) LSE has a better reputation but with a lot of arguments over teaching and has been described as very 'boring'. Where as for KCL there doesn't seem to be much either way. I'm might be wrong so any advice or opinions would be very welcome. Thankyou in advance for any responses.
Reply 1
Zeb42
Firstly, I would like to say I'm new and I apologise in advance fo any mistakes (e.g. starting this thread in the wrong forum).

Anyway, I'm going to do law and want to become a barrister and with the UCAS deadline gtting closer I find I have an offer from both LSE and King's College London but still can't decide. One thing I do find is that LSE seems to overshadow KCL. From what I know/see (which isn't much) LSE has a better reputation but with a lot of arguments over teaching and has been described as very 'boring'. Where as for KCL there doesn't seem to be much either way. I'm might be wrong so any advice or opinions would be very welcome. Thankyou in advance for any responses.

The difference between KCL and LSE is really marginal (if any) and it's hard to differentiate between these two universities. Both have great law departments and a degree from either one will stand you in a good stead for future career prospects, provided you achieve the required 2.1 and are dedicated to and suitable for a career at the Bar.

Have you visited both universities? If so, which do you currently prefer?

Whether you go to LSE or KCL, university experience is what you make it. LSE seems to have more international students then KCL, while KCL appears to have a great social scene. Some people find LSE slightly boring and don't like their teaching, however, you may find some students who say the same thing about KCL. It really depends on what you are looking for and where you would feel most comfortable.

Finally, from what I gather, LSE seems to be more "commercially orientated" and a lot of their graduates head for the City.
Reply 2
LSE has the Visit Day on Tuesday, are you going? Also, there is the "informal refreshments" with the lecturers after the official events, so that should give you an idea of the teaching style.

I think the best way to decide will be to visit, and hopefully you'll have a clearer idea after Tuesday, pressuming you have visited King's already.
Reply 3
The difference in reputation between KCL and LSE is either tiny or nonexistent, from what I hear.
I've heard that LSE tends to produce more 'commercially-minded' lawyers whereas KCL tends to produce more 'aspiring' lawyers.
LSE has more of the 'wow factor' among the public and has better overall reputation, but the Law firm recruiters are not going to bother about them.
The LLB pass rates (percentage of students getting 2:1 or higher) at KCL and LSE are the same, if not very very slightly higher at KCL. Both have 85.6%. But the percentage of students getting Third, pass or other is all 0 at KCL, whereas the percentage of students getting Third is 0.6%.

LSE is full of international students from what i hear. A friend of mine is studying Econ. at LSE and he told me that there are really lots of Korean, Chinese and Japanese students. What I know about KCL is that its Student Union is very active. Famous bands like Funeral for a Friend, Linkin Park, the Gallows have had their gigs at KCL Student Union.

Latest

Trending

Trending