The Student Room Group
Reply 1
ummm durham or bristol?

Maybe put a one quite low in the rankings just incase you get rejected buy some of the top ones.
Reply 2
Nottingham.. bristol, manchester, QMUL, UCL
U don't have to put on a fifth choice you know

And i agree with charlie123 possibly put a slightly easier one down just in case
Reply 4
python38
Well, I have 3 As in my Maths, Further Maths, and Physics A-levels, and I'm applying to quite a few American universities... still, would it be wise to have at least one safety university in Britain as well?

Yea - but if your applying to many unis you might aswell put one lower than the rest - maybe around the 14/15 mark in the rankings
python38
Well, I have 3 As in my Maths, Further Maths, and Physics A-levels, and I'm applying to quite a few American universities... still, would it be wise to have at least one safety university in Britain as well?

Can I ask, what were your average module scores? have you got any other A-levels? and what GCSEs did you get?
Reply 6
Somewhere that you can pretty much guarantee will make you an offer. I say that because strong applicants can easily get rejected from places like Warwick and Imperial.
Reply 7
Grapevine
Somewhere that you can pretty much guarantee will make you an offer. I say that because strong applicants can easily get rejected from places like Warwick and Imperial.

I thought Warwick basically gave everyone an offer and used STEP (and in the past AEA) to discriminate amongst the students
Reply 8
SimonM
I thought Warwick basically gave everyone an offer and used STEP (and in the past AEA) to discriminate amongst the students

Oh right, well that is certainly something to consider.

I still think the OP should apply to somewhere where they will deffo get an offer from and deffo meet the offer.
Reply 9
Grapevine
Oh right, well that is certainly something to consider.

I still think the OP should apply to somewhere where they will deffo get an offer from and deffo meet the offer.

If they've already got three As, it is pretty much certain they could get a 2 in STEP I in an entire year. That's not exactly demanding much. To be honest, if there isn't another university they want to apply to, don't bother applying anywhere else.
Reply 10
SimonM
If they've already got three As, it is pretty much certain they could get a 2 in STEP I in an entire year. That's not exactly demanding much. To be honest, if there isn't another university they want to apply to, don't bother applying anywhere else.

that isnt true - i know many people who could EASILY get 4 As and not even get a grade in STEP I
Reply 11
charlie123
that isnt true - i know many people who could EASILY get 4 As and not even get a grade in STEP I

Could they do that when only 15 (actually, he could be 14, I can't remember when he said he'd turn 17)? I swear I could train a monkey to get a 2 in STEP I given a year.

Personally, if I were the OP I'd be questioning whether or not to bother going to university so early. There are plenty of worthwhile things which you could do in the meantime, and there are very few cases where going to university excessively early has done much for the students in question
Reply 12
You don't have to apply to 5. It's possible that I'll only put down 3.
Reply 13
python38
Hi,

I'm applying to Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, and LSE, as well as some American universities, this autumn, but I need to add one more to make the list. I intend to study applied maths, and possibly go on to work in finance; which would you suggest as my fifth university on the UCAS form?

Thanks. :cool:

Durham seems to have a good reputation for Applied Maths

http://www.dur.ac.uk/mathematical.sciences/
Reply 14
tommm
You don't have to apply to 5. It's possible that I'll only put down 3.

Just apply to one, save yourself a couple of quid :awesome:
Reply 15
If you're happy with your four and aren't going to use the fifth just apply for something weird, apply for the most obscure degree you can find just to see if you can get an offer, might be a funny thing to say to granchildren someday.
Otherwise go mid-table, somewhere between 10th and 20th (in no particular rankings, just in approximate position overall). York, bath, durham, manchester, nottingham, soton, leeds, sheffield, kings college...Bristol if you feel more confident and not sure how you feel about scotland.
Reply 16
Durham
Reply 17
Ucl?