Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I came back to uni this weekend after my enjoyable reading week off, and my mate here had received a letter from the MPAA in America. They had been monitoring his internet usage and were threatening civil action if he did not stop immediately. I will try and post the exact letter later on today, but it was damn frightening....

He got a right *******ing off CiCS (Corporation Information Computer Services) which are our admins. He got told to write a letter stating he had deleted all offending material etc... Now he's scared to go on anything like kazaa poor lad..

The thing we noticed though is that the two movies he got caught downloading were: The Truman Show, Wild Things. He downloaded both of these off Imesh. So I would seriously warn people at university to stop using that program. People at home have less to worry about because the MPAA hate students. Those *******s!

Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    Hi,

I came back to uni this weekend after my enjoyable reading week off, and my mate here had received a letter from the MPAA in America. They had been monitoring his internet usage and were threatening civil action if he did not stop immediately. I will try and post the exact letter later on today, but it was damn frightening....

He got a right *******ing off CiCS (Corporation Information Computer Services) which are our admins. He got told to write a letter stating he had deleted all offending material etc... Now he's scared to go on anything like kazaa poor lad..

The thing we noticed though is that the two movies he got caught downloading were: The Truman Show, Wild Things. He downloaded both of these off Imesh. So I would seriously warn people at university to stop using that program. People at home have less to worry about because the MPAA hate students. Those *******s!

Adam
    i dont think the mpaa have a right to demand details from ure isp do they??? i thought it was jus the riaa.

post the picture, would be very interesting to see

ReputationRep:
    they are just poking their nose where it isn't wanted

ReputationRep:
    Rekon it's just all hot air as most "threatening" legal letters are.

ReputationRep:
    the MPAA has no authority here, have they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    Hi,

Adam

Who is the MPAA? I know for sure that the RIAA have no powers to prosecute or sue in Britain so I would have thought it would be the same for all american corporations. Their laws don't apply in Britain they can't do ahything to anyone over here so I reckon your friend has probably been wound up for a laugh by someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virus)
    Who is the MPAA? I know for sure that the RIAA have no powers to prosecute or sue in Britain so I would have thought it would be the same for all american corporations. Their laws don't apply in Britain they can't do ahything to anyone over here so I reckon your friend has probably been wound up for a laugh by someone.
    IIRC MPAA are the Motion Picture Association of America, presumably you he was contacted by them because it was films rather than music.

I don't think they have any powers in the UK, nor could they make a UK isp hand over details - though its possibly they could threaten the uni (who would be the isp in this case i assume) to hand over the detials, though theres not much they could do if they didnt.

In the UK its the BPI who would be involved in this sort of stuff, though I don't know what their powers are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    Hi,

Adam
    Hang on one moment, I think it's a good idea to consider who's actually in the wrong here. Downloading copyright-protected material such as music and movies amounts to nothing less than theft, just as it would if you walked into a shop and snuck them out under your coat. I'm not judging those who do engage in this practice, but for crying out loud, don't start blaming anti-piracy organisations such as the RIAA etc. when they catch you/your friend! You're in the wrong! However much you think that this kind of theft should be allowed (a rather illogical viewpoint which would surely cause the collapse of the modern economy; just think about how much of the economy rests on sales of intellectual and informational property...), it does not mean that you have the right to complain when you get caught breaking the law. Would you question it if you're friend was caught shoplifting and arrested for that? Probably not, however you consider it wrong that he's being punished for informational theft? They are both as bad as each other, so if you're going to do it, at least admit that what you're doing is wrong and could (should) result in your being caught and punished.

Regards,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Hang on one moment, I think it's a good idea to consider who's actually in the wrong here. Downloading copyright-protected material such as music and movies amounts to nothing less than theft, just as it would if you walked into a shop and snuck them out under your coat. I'm not judging those who do engage in this practice, but for crying out loud, don't start blaming anti-piracy organisations such as the RIAA etc. when they catch you/your friend! You're in the wrong! However much you think that this kind of theft should be allowed (a rather illogical viewpoint which would surely cause the collapse of the modern economy; just think about how much of the economy rests on sales of intellectual and informational property...), it does not mean that you have the right to complain when you get caught breaking the law. Would you question it if you're friend was caught shoplifting and arrested for that? Probably not, however you consider it wrong that he's being punished for informational theft? They are both as bad as each other, so if you're going to do it, at least admit that what you're doing is wrong and could (should) result in your being caught and punished.

Regards,

Yeah right, like I bet you've never downloaded mp3's or films! No they are in the wrong they should cut down prices of cds, dvds, vhs etc if they don't want people to download! You stink!

ReputationRep:
    I never made any claim as to what I have or haven't done, I merely stated that if you do choose to engage in such practices, you should be prepared to face and accept the consequences, because what you are doing is illegal. Thinking that you are somehow above the law because you don't agree with the prices of something is probably the worst argument I've ever heard. How about you don't buy the product if you can't afford it (or you steal it and be prepared to face the consequences)? It's not up to anyone but the manufacturer/copyright-holder of a product to decide for how much they want to sell it.

Regards,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virus)
    Yeah right, like I bet you've never downloaded mp3's or films! No they are in the wrong they should cut down prices of cds, dvds, vhs etc if they don't want people to download! You stink!
    Well, although prices are extortionary, it is still illegal to download these sorts of things.
    Do you steal a Ferarri because you cannot afford to buy one?
    Or do you just not have a ferarri?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Agreeing with all the other posts re the illegality of filesharing (in the knowledge that I've bought one cd in the last 3 years ).

It's also worth pointing out that if s/he was using the uni network/connection to do this then s/he was in breach of the terms and conditions s/he signed up to to gain access to the uni network.

Uni's are connected to the net via JANET (Joint Academic NETwork) and part of the conditions of that permission is that it isn't abused for non-academic purposes...some non-academic uses are allowed but using academic bandwidth to download illegally copied files is a definate breach.

ReputationRep:
    It definitely isn't a wind-up I can promise you....

The guy is out at the moment and won't be back till tonight, but I'll ask him then...It was the MPAA by the way. They started the letter by saying they represented the following companies and then there was a list of about 10 companies. Then they listed the films they had monitored you downloading, ie Truman Show, Wild Things. Then it was loads of ******** about legal crap which I couldn't be arsed to really read. It was about 3 pages long in a kind of typewriter font.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    Poor lad. This mate isn't you by any chance is it though

ReputationRep:
    If I was him/you I wouldn't bother sending a letter of apology though since they can't do jack neway. Don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Virus Hacker)
    Poor lad. This mate isn't you by any chance is it though
    nah it aint me, i gave up after the fastest i could get was 1k/s

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.