The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
michaela_banana
No worries, I was just being a moody so-and-so!

Genuine typo. It's the 70% first boundary same as most places. This is what I get for being on TSR at 1am the day before my dissertation's due.....

Sorry to labour the point, but would that mean that you would be given more than 10% for extenuating circumstances?

:confused:
no, you'd be given a maximum of 2% for extenuating circumstances. 58% and they'd bump you up to a 2.1 68% and they'd bump you up to a 1st. sorry to be so confusing :colonhash:
terpineol
The medical school are pretty good on it, you can have a maximum of one module 'S' coded if you apply for this in advance of the exams. It then does not count towards your degree.

Computer science on the other hand are legendarily unfriendly. One of my flatmates friends lost his parents in a car crash. He asked for an extension so he could go home to put affairs in order etc, to be told if he can type an email he can program.

S for sickness?

What about first year? If first year doesn't count, would you still need to tell them about ext circs?
No Future
S for sickness?

What about first year? If first year doesn't count, would you still need to tell them about ext circs?

If it looks like you are going to be hit with the big bad resit the year hammer, then yes.
terpineol
If it looks like you are going to be hit with the big bad resit the year hammer, then yes.

As in below 11 or below 5?
No Future
As in below 11 or below 5?

If you get extenuating circs they normally drop the mark needed from 11 to 5.
terpineol
If you get extenuating circs they normally drop the mark needed from 11 to 5.

hold up, so to be clear - 11 is pass?

some 2nd/3rd yrs have told me you're fine as long as you get a 5? :s
No Future
hold up, so to be clear - 11 is pass?

some 2nd/3rd yrs have told me you're fine as long as you get a 5? :s

Technically speaking an eleven is needed to go onto second year.

Five is generally allowed.

The official line is 11 normally, though they drop it to five on extenuatings. That said what is enforced is generally slightly lower.
terpineol
Technically speaking an eleven is needed to go onto second year.

Five is generally allowed.

The official line is 11 normally, though they drop it to five on extenuatings. That said what is enforced is generally slightly lower.

Thanks.

Hmm. Not sure whether to declare or not declare. I presume it should be done pre exam?
No Future
Thanks.

Hmm. Not sure whether to declare or not declare. I presume it should be done pre exam?

They won't accept anything after the exam, so if in doubt declare.
My uni is crazy. I have a broken wrist. All I want is a little extra time in exams, cos I'm capable of writing, just slowly. They offered me complete deferment of my exams til August :eek:
Becca-Sarah
My uni is crazy. I have a broken wrist. All I want is a little extra time in exams, cos I'm capable of writing, just slowly. They offered me complete deferment of my exams til August :eek:

Why would you complain? More revision time = weeeeeeeee!
Reply 32
RollerBall

Because revision is bad enough ithout exams hanging over you til august?
Reply 33
michaela_banana
no, you'd be given a maximum of 2% for extenuating circumstances. 58% and they'd bump you up to a 2.1 68% and they'd bump you up to a 1st. sorry to be so confusing :colonhash:

That makes sense. Good luck with everything and I hope you do as well as you need to :smile:
RollerBall

Cos I don't wanna travel back to Deen in the middle of my summer holiday for exams!!!! I don't wanna be here a moment longer than necessary!!!
Reply 35
Extenuating Circumstances can be really useful.

I've just finished my second year but in February my 2 yr old cousin was killed in a freak accident. I tried to work hard but found it really really difficult at the time.....luckily I just mustered a pass in my final exam so I'm out of the woods.

However...if I had scored 2% less on that paper...the board of examiners wld have allowed to me to resit as a first attempt in July. Although its not ideal having to revise in the summer instead of relaxing/working for pennies.....my mark wouldnt be capped.

Sometimes things happen that you have no control over and really effect you....but you have to hold your head up and keep going :smile:

Try your best and I'm sure it'll work out for the best :smile:

Latest