Past Simple Watch

This discussion is closed.
Gershon Kozokin
Badges:
#1
Report 17 years ago
#1
Hi, If the answer is "He was driving a red car" Is it correct way to ask in past simple "What color
was the car he driving ? "

Thx, Gershon
0
Howie
Badges:
#2
Report 17 years ago
#2
On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 23:54:11 GMT, "Gershon Kozokin" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]|Hi, |If the answer is "He was driving a red car"[/q1]

It isn't. Past simple would be:

"He drove a red car"

(This is because "driving" is continuous, so "was driving" is past continuous).

[q1]|Is it correct way to ask in past simple "What color was the car he driving[/q1]
[q1]|? "[/q1]

What colour was the car he drove? or... What colour car did he drive?

Present Simple: (drive) Past Simple: (drove) Present Continuous: (driving) Past Continuous:
(was driving)

--

Howard Coakley: New Media Consultant. My messageboard:-
http://cgi.coakley.plus.com/cgi-bin/.../ikonboard.cgi e-mail...
howard<dot}coakleyatbigfoot<dot].com
ICQ:4502837. (Try ICQ at www.icq.com)
0
Cybercypher
Badges:
#3
Report 17 years ago
#3
"Gershon Kozokin" <[email protected]> burbled news[email protected] link.net:

[q1]> Hi, If the answer is "He was driving a red car" Is it correct way to ask in past simple "What[/q1]
[q1]> color was the car he driving ? "[/q1]

You might want to ask "What color was the car he was driving?" or "What color car was he driving?"

The best way to turn and answer into a question is to replace the answer words with the question
words. In this case you would get

He was driving a WHAT COLOR car.

Because English normally moves the question word to the front of the sentence and usually inverts
the subject/verb order to AuxVerb/subj/MainVerb, you must rearrange the order thus:

What color car was he driving?

This is perfectly good English. To make the question more formal, you add a few things:

What color (was the) car (that) he was driving?

But they are clearly optional.

--
Franke: Grammar 1: Internalized rules for the spoken language. Grammar 2: Formal rules for the
written language. Grammar 1 does not equal Grammar 2.
0
Cybercypher
Badges:
#4
Report 17 years ago
#4
Howie <[email protected] sage.com> burbled
news:[email protected]:

[q1]> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 23:54:11 GMT, "Gershon Kozokin" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>|Hi, |If the answer is "He was driving a red car"[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It isn't. Past simple would be:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "He drove a red car"[/q1]

This is true, but it doesn't answer the poster's question. The poster was asking about the question
that should be asked in the event the answer was "He was driving a red car". Why do you complicate
things by throwing in irrelevant information about the past simple?

[q1]> (This is because "driving" is continuous, so "was driving" is past continuous).[/q1]

And the point of this information?

[q1]>|Is it correct way to ask in past simple "What color was the car |he driving ? "[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What colour was the car he drove? or... What colour car did he drive?[/q1]

These are obviously not the correct questions to ask *if the answer is "He was driving a red car"*.
If the answer is in the past continuous, the question must also be in the past continuous.

Perhaps you should read the questions a bit more closely before offering advice to people who want
to learn and understand English. Confusing them is not a good idea, as we have already seen in an
earlier thread.

--
Franke: Grammar 1: Internalized rules for the spoken language. Grammar 2: Formal rules for the
written language. Grammar 1 does not equal Grammar 2.
0
Einde O'Callagh
Badges:
#5
Report 17 years ago
#5
Howie wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 23:54:11 GMT, "Gershon Kozokin" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> |Hi, |If the answer is "He was driving a red car"[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It isn't. Past simple would be:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "He drove a red car"[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> (This is because "driving" is continuous, so "was driving" is past continuous).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> |Is it correct way to ask in past simple "What color was the car he driving[/q1]
[q1]> |? "[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What colour was the car he drove? or... What colour car did he drive?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Or what colour was teh car he was driving? (if we're talking about a particular instance - perhaps
he wasx driving somebody else's car)

Regards, Einde O'Callaghan

[q1]> Present Simple: (drive) Past Simple: (drove) Present Continuous: (driving) Past Continuous: (was[/q1]
[q1]> driving)[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Howard Coakley: New Media Consultant. My messageboard:-[/q1]
[q1]> http://cgi.coakley.plus.com/cgi-bin/.../ikonboard.cgi e-mail...[/q1]
[q1]> howard<dot}coakleyatbigfoot<dot].com[/q1]
[q1]> ICQ:4502837. (Try ICQ at www.icq.com)[/q1]
0
Howie
Badges:
#6
Report 17 years ago
#6
On 27 Jun 2002 01:45:51 GMT, CyberCypher <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]|Howie <[email protected] sage.com> burbled[/q1]
[q1]|news:[email protected]:[/q1]
[q1]|[/q1]
[q1]|> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 23:54:11 GMT, "Gershon Kozokin" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]|>[/q1]
[q1]|>|Hi, |If the answer is "He was driving a red car"[/q1]
[q1]|>[/q1]
[q1]|>[/q1]
[q1]|> It isn't. Past simple would be:[/q1]
[q1]|>[/q1]
[q1]|> "He drove a red car"[/q1]
[q1]|[/q1]
[q1]|This is true, but it doesn't answer the poster's question. The poster |was asking about the[/q1]
question that should be asked in the event the |answer was "He was driving a red car". Why do you
complicate things by |throwing in irrelevant information about the past simple?

Hi CyberCypher, good to see you again. Building this rapport with you is turning out to be
great fun!

Sorry to point out that you've missed it again. The clue was in the subject. The poster asked:-

[paraphrasing...] If; "He was driving a red car" is past simple, would; "What color was the car he
driving? "

So, I think you'll agree that the past simple is actually the whole point of the first part of the
question wouldn't you?

[q1]|> (This is because "driving" is continuous, so "was driving" is past continuous).[/q1]
[q1]|[/q1]
[q1]|And the point of this information?[/q1]

To explain the difference between what he assumed to be past simple, and the past simple
(see above).

[q1]|>|Is it correct way to ask in past simple "What color was the car |he driving ? "[/q1]
[q1]|>[/q1]
[q1]|> What colour was the car he drove? or... What colour car did he drive?[/q1]
[q1]|[/q1]
[q1]|These are obviously not the correct questions to ask *if the answer is[/q1]
[q1]|"He was driving a red car"*. If the answer is in the past continuous,[/q1]
[q1]|the question must also be in the past continuous.[/q1]

Agreed, but the original poster wanted tha past simple,- remember?

[q1]|Perhaps you should read the questions a bit more closely before |offering advice to people who want[/q1]
to learn and understand English. |Confusing them is not a good idea, as we have already seen in an
[q1]|earlier thread.[/q1]

POT: BLACK: KETTLE: (Construct your own phrase an apply).

Best Regards,

H.

--

Howard Coakley: New Media Consultant. My messageboard:-
http://cgi.coakley.plus.com/cgi-bin/.../ikonboard.cgi e-mail...
howard<dot}coakleyatbigfoot<dot].com
HAA:1. (Try ICQ at www.icq.com)
0
Cybercypher
Badges:
#7
Report 17 years ago
#7
Howie <[email protected] sage.com> burbled
news:[email protected]:

[q1]> On 27 Jun 2002 01:45:51 GMT, CyberCypher <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>|Howie <[email protected] sage.com> burbled[/q1]
[q1]>|news:[email protected]:[/q1]
[q1]>|[/q1]
[q1]>|> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 23:54:11 GMT, "Gershon Kozokin" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>|>[/q1]
[q1]>|>|Hi, |If the answer is "He was driving a red car"[/q1]
[q1]>|>[/q1]
[q1]>|>[/q1]
[q1]>|> It isn't. Past simple would be:[/q1]
[q1]>|>[/q1]
[q1]>|> "He drove a red car"[/q1]
[q1]>|[/q1]
[q1]>|This is true, but it doesn't answer the poster's question. The |poster was asking about the[/q1]
[q1]>question that should be asked in the |event the answer was "He was driving a red car". Why do you[/q1]
[q1]>|complicate things by throwing in irrelevant information about the |past simple?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Hi CyberCypher, good to see you again. Building this rapport with you is turning out to be[/q1]
[q1]> great fun![/q1]

I'm glad you are enjoying it, but I don't think I would describe it as "rapport".

[q1]> Sorry to point out that you've missed it again. The clue was in the subject. The poster asked:-[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> [paraphrasing...] If; "He was driving a red car" is past simple, would; "What color was the car he[/q1]
[q1]> driving? "[/q1]

I saw the subject, but I thought that the poster might have misstated the tense. People do make
mistakes, you know. And the original poster made one mistake or another, ie confused past simple
with past continuous or mistyped the answer as "He was driving a red car" instead of "He drove a
red car". You assumed that the subject was correct and the rest of the post was wrong, but I
assumed the opposite.

[q1]> So, I think you'll agree that the past simple is actually the whole point of the first part of the[/q1]
[q1]> question wouldn't you?[/q1]

No, I would not agree. First of all, you are interpolating when you say "[paraphrasing...] If; "He
was driving a red car" is past simple, would; "What color was the car he driving?"

You have put words into the original poster's mouth. I haven't. Wouldn't you agree to that? You
answered the subject line, but I answered the question actually asked. Wouldn't you agree to that?

[q1]>|> (This is because "driving" is continuous, so "was driving" is past continuous).[/q1]
[q1]>|[/q1]
[q1]>|And the point of this information?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> To explain the difference between what he assumed to be past simple, and the past simple[/q1]
[q1]> (see above).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>|>|Is it correct way to ask in past simple "What color was the car |he driving ? "[/q1]
[q1]>|>[/q1]
[q1]>|> What colour was the car he drove? or... What colour car did he drive?[/q1]
[q1]>|[/q1]
[q1]>|These are obviously not the correct questions to ask *if the |answer is "He was driving a red[/q1]
[q1]>car"*. If the answer is in the |past continuous, the question must also be in the past continuous.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Agreed, but the original poster wanted tha past simple,- remember?[/q1]

Do you know that for a fact? You just assumed that your initial impression of what the poster wanted
was expressed in the subject line, remember? Everything else in the post contradicted that
assumption, remember?

[q1]>|Perhaps you should read the questions a bit more closely before |offering advice to people who[/q1]
[q1]>want to learn and understand |English. Confusing them is not a good idea, as we have already |seen[/q1]
[q1]>in an earlier thread.[/q1]

--
Franke: "Life is simple: pain is good, pleasure is better, no pain is best. Death is even simpler."
Bodhisattva F. A. Tchirl. Grammar 1: Internalized rules for the spoken language. Grammar 2: Formal
rules for the written language. Grammar 1 does not equal Grammar 2.
0
Howie
Badges:
#8
Report 17 years ago
#8
On 27 Jun 2002 16:28:17 GMT, CyberCypher <[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

[q1]|> Hi CyberCypher, good to see you again. Building this rapport with you is turning out to be[/q1]
[q1]|> great fun![/q1]
[q1]|[/q1]
[q1]|I'm glad you are enjoying it, but I don't think I would describe it as[/q1]
[q1]|"rapport".[/q1]

Oh, shame. Try not to sulk too much. You're learning something here!

[q1]|> Sorry to point out that you've missed it again. The clue was in the subject. The poster asked:-[/q1]
[q1]|>[/q1]
[q1]|> [paraphrasing...] If; "He was driving a red car" is past simple, would; "What color was the car[/q1]
[q1]|> he driving? "[/q1]
[q1]|[/q1]
[q1]|I saw the subject, but I thought that the poster might have misstated |the tense. People do make[/q1]
mistakes, you know.

What a HUGE assumption. I hope you've apologised to Gershon for making it?

[q1]|And the original poster |made one mistake or another, ie confused past simple with past |continuous[/q1]
or mistyped the answer as "He was driving a red car" instead |of "He drove a red car". You assumed
that the subject was correct and |the rest of the post was wrong, but I assumed the opposite.

What an interesting mind you have. You now think that because I read the original post properly, I
was still making an "assumption" that the original poster meant what he wrote. Amazing, but I have
to hold my hands up here; I was!

[q1]|> So, I think you'll agree that the past simple is actually the whole point of the first part of[/q1]
[q1]|> the question wouldn't you?[/q1]
[q1]|[/q1]
[q1]|No, I would not agree.[/q1]

Ha! Ha! Ha!

[q1]|First of all, you are interpolating when you say[/q1]
[q1]|"[paraphrasing...][/q1]
[q1]|If; "He was driving a red car" is past simple, would; "What color |was the car he driving?"[/q1]

[q1]|You have put words into the original poster's mouth. I haven't. |Wouldn't you agree to that?[/q1]

Caught me! Yep, I inserted the word "would"! SORRY! And here's me thinking I just paraphrased the
whole post by combining the subject and follow-on (body). Silly me!

Just for clarification (because you seem to have forgotten), here is the entire post - as it
was written:

SUBJECT: Past Simple:

BODY: If the answer is "He was driving a red car" Is it correct way to ask in past simple "What
color was the car he driving.

[q1]|You answered the subject line, but I |answered the question actually asked. Wouldn't you[/q1]
agree to that?

NO! What world are you living in? How could _anyone_ answer "Past Simple"? It isn't even a question!
I answered the post as it was written BECAUSE I READ IT PROPERLY.

<snip>

[q1]|> Agreed, but the original poster wanted tha past simple,- remember?[/q1]
[q1]|[/q1]
[q1]|Do you know that for a fact?[/q1]

I know that that is what was actually asked, not good enough for you? Look, let me explain. The
SUBJECT line contains (guess what) the SUBJECT. The rest of the message relates _to_ the subject.
(God, i'm even explaining usenet now)! In PARAPHRASING, I combined the two into something we could
discuss. In doing so, I added one word. You seem to think that this changed the meaning in some way.
I can't wait for you to tell me how!

[q1]|You just assumed that your initial |impression of what the poster wanted was expressed in the[/q1]
subject line, |remember? Everything else in the post contradicted that assumption, |remember?

Am I online to another planet here? Someone help, please!

YES! I thought the poster was telling the truth because of what he wrote. Sorry if that upsets you.

I am going to try one more time. This time with a very appropriate and perfectly
comparitive example:-

SUBJECT: "green"

BODY: "If the answer is 'you need to mix black and white', is the correct question to ask for making
green "what colours do I mix for green"

OK? So we FIRST have to explain how to make green. Just as I first had to explain how to make past
simple. Or perhaps in your world, the learner doesn't need to know how to construct past simple as a
starting point to answering a question about it! namely: <quote> "Is it correct way to ask in past
simple "What color was the car he driving.</quote>

H.

(I never wanted to be a primary-school teacher)

--

Howard Coakley: New Media Consultant. My messageboard:-
http://cgi.coakley.plus.com/cgi-bin/.../ikonboard.cgi e-mail...
howard<dot}coakleyatbigfoot<dot].com
HAA:1. (Try ICQ at www.icq.com)
0
Kristina Lim
Badges:
#9
Report 17 years ago
#9
"Howie" <[email protected] sage.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> On 27 Jun 2002 16:28:17 GMT, CyberCypher <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> <snip>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> |> Hi CyberCypher, good to see you again. Building this rapport with you is turning out to be[/q1]
[q1]> |> great fun![/q1]
[q1]> |[/q1]
[q1]> |I'm glad you are enjoying it, but I don't think I would describe it as[/q1]
[q1]> |"rapport".[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Oh, shame. Try not to sulk too much. You're learning something here![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> |> Sorry to point out that you've missed it again. The clue was in the subject. The poster asked:-[/q1]
[q1]> |>[/q1]
[q1]> |> [paraphrasing...] If; "He was driving a red car" is past simple, would; "What color was the car[/q1]
[q1]> |> he driving? "[/q1]
[q1]> |[/q1]
[q1]> |I saw the subject, but I thought that the poster might have misstated |the tense. People do make[/q1]
[q1]> mistakes, you know.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What a HUGE assumption. I hope you've apologised to Gershon for making it?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Often those of us who have EFL teaching experience (and CC has plenty) are able to understand what
non-native speakers are really asking even when they don't ask correctly. We can recognize probable
errors (in this case the "past simple" label) and address the heart of the question (in this case,
the appropriate question form for the given answer). Yes, this is an assumption, but one supported
by experience.

[q1]> |And the original poster |made one mistake or another, ie confused past simple with past[/q1]
[q1]> |continuous or mistyped the answer as "He was driving a red car" instead |of "He drove a red car".[/q1]
[q1]> You assumed that the subject was correct and |the rest of the post was wrong, but I assumed the[/q1]
[q1]> opposite.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What an interesting mind you have. You now think that because I read the original post properly, I[/q1]
[q1]> was still making an "assumption" that the original poster meant what he wrote. Amazing, but I have[/q1]
[q1]> to hold my hands up here; I was![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> |> So, I think you'll agree that the past simple is actually the whole point of the first part of[/q1]
[q1]> |> the question wouldn't you?[/q1]
[q1]> |[/q1]
[q1]> |No, I would not agree.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Ha! Ha! Ha![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
The question is not about the past simple. It's about the right question form, incorrectly labeled
"past simple."

[...]

I would suggest that you spend more time reading this newsgroup before posting so much
pretentious "advice."

Kristina
0
Howie
Badges:
#10
Report 17 years ago
#10
On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 20:28:18 GMT, "Kristina Lim" <[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

[q1]|> What a HUGE assumption. I hope you've apologised to Gershon for making it?[/q1]
[q1]|>[/q1]
[q1]|Often those of us who have EFL teaching experience (and CC has plenty) are |able to understand what[/q1]
non-native speakers are really asking even when they |don't ask correctly. We can recognize probable
errors (in this case the
[q1]|"past simple" label) and address the heart of the question (in this case,[/q1]
[q1]|the appropriate question form for the given answer). Yes, this is an |assumption, but one supported[/q1]
by experience.

What utter rubbish! The EFL students must be leaving this group in droves! Do you ever consider how
insulted they might be by that behaviour?

[q1]|The question is not about the past simple. It's about the right question |form, incorrectly labeled[/q1]
"past simple."

How pretentious! How superior! How priggish!

[q1]|I would suggest that you spend more time reading this newsgroup before |posting so much[/q1]
pretentious "advice."

Re-pretentious advice: See above.

BTW: You don't want to know what I suggest.

H.

--

Howard Coakley: New Media Consultant. My messageboard:-
http://cgi.coakley.plus.com/cgi-bin/.../ikonboard.cgi e-mail...
howard<dot}coakleyatbigfoot<dot].com
HAA:1. (Try ICQ at www.icq.com)
0
Einde O'Callagh
Badges:
#11
Report 17 years ago
#11
Howie wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 20:28:18 GMT, "Kristina Lim" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> <snip>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> |> What a HUGE assumption. I hope you've apologised to Gershon for making it?[/q1]
[q1]> |>[/q1]
[q1]> |Often those of us who have EFL teaching experience (and CC has plenty) are |able to understand[/q1]
[q1]> what non-native speakers are really asking even when they |don't ask correctly. We can recognize[/q1]
[q1]> probable errors (in this case the[/q1]
[q1]> |"past simple" label) and address the heart of the question (in this case,[/q1]
[q1]> |the appropriate question form for the given answer). Yes, this is an |assumption, but one[/q1]
[q1]> supported by experience.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What utter rubbish! The EFL students must be leaving this group in droves! Do you ever consider[/q1]
[q1]> how insulted they might be by that behaviour?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Are you seriously suggesting that experienced language teachers do not develop certain skills at
interpreting the desires and needs of students based on the types of question they get asked every
day in their classes.

There may be some chancers in the language teaching profession, but most of them get weeded out
fairly quickly and the rest can't stick the pace and the commitment in this demanding
profession. Only truly committed professionals who know their stuff survive for as long as
colleague Franke does.

I don't always agree with what he says, but I consider him a valued colleague whose opinion
I respect.

You on the other hand seem to me to have come here simply to pick an argument. Certainly if EFL
students are leaving in droves it probably has something to do with the flamewar you have provoked
by your inaccurate and dogmatic statements about a subject where you have a little knowledge - but
as they say "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

[q1]> |The question is not about the past simple. It's about the right question |form, incorrectly[/q1]
[q1]> labeled "past simple."[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> How pretentious! How superior! How priggish![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Until you arrived here we had fairly civilised discussions and a wide range of EFL students raising
queries and various native speakers, both teachers and others, replying and occasionally
disagreeing with each other, but in a civilised manner without personal abuse. You turn up and
within 24 hours we have a raging flamewar, replete with personal abuse and almost all the EFL
students have run for cover.

Work it out for yourself: cause -> effect.

Einde O'Callaghan
0
Howie
Badges:
#12
Report 17 years ago
#12
On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 00:43:30 +0200, Einde O'Callaghan <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]|Howie wrote:[/q1]
[q1]|>[/q1]
[q1]|> On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 20:28:18 GMT, "Kristina Lim" <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]|>[/q1]
[q1]|> <snip>[/q1]
[q1]|>[/q1]
[q1]|> |> What a HUGE assumption. I hope you've apologised to Gershon for making it?[/q1]
[q1]|> |>[/q1]
[q1]|> |Often those of us who have EFL teaching experience (and CC has plenty) are |able to understand[/q1]
[q1]|> what non-native speakers are really asking even when they |don't ask correctly. We can recognize[/q1]
[q1]|> probable errors (in this case the[/q1]
[q1]|> |"past simple" label) and address the heart of the question (in this case,[/q1]
[q1]|> |the appropriate question form for the given answer). Yes, this is an |assumption, but one[/q1]
[q1]|> supported by experience.[/q1]
[q1]|>[/q1]
[q1]|> What utter rubbish! The EFL students must be leaving this group in droves! Do you ever consider[/q1]
[q1]|> how insulted they might be by that behaviour?[/q1]
[q1]|>[/q1]
[q1]|Are you seriously suggesting that experienced language teachers do not |develop certain skills at[/q1]
interpreting the desires and needs of students |based on the types of question they get asked every
day in their |classes.

No. I'm "seriously suggesting" that the practice is unlikely to be successful when applied to a
two-line written question in a newsgroup!

[q1]|There may be some chancers in the language teaching profession, but most |of them get weeded out[/q1]
fairly quickly and the rest can't stick the pace |and the commitment in this demanding
profession. Only truly committed |professionals who know their stuff survive for as long as
colleague |Franke does.

Woffle, woffle...

[q1]|I don't always agree with what he says, but I consider him a valued |colleague whose opinion[/q1]
I respect.

Good for you. I'm sure he's excited about that.
[q1]|[/q1]
[q1]|You on the other hand seem to me to have come here simply to pick an |argument. Certainly if EFL[/q1]
students are leaving in droves it probably |has something to do with the flamewar you have provoked
by your |inaccurate and dogmatic statements about a subject where you have a |little knowledge - but
as they say "A little knowledge is a dangerous |thing".

Indeed it is. And any knowledge,- when combined with the inability to impart it accurately is even
more dangerous.

[q1]|> |The question is not about the past simple. It's about the right question |form, incorrectly[/q1]
[q1]|> labeled "past simple."[/q1]
[q1]|>[/q1]
[q1]|> How pretentious! How superior! How priggish![/q1]
[q1]|>[/q1]
[q1]|Until you arrived here we had fairly civilised discussions and a wide |range of EFL students[/q1]
raising queries and various native speakers, both |teachers and others, replying and occasionally
disagreeing with each |other, but in a civilised manner without personal abuse. You turn up and
[q1]|within 24 hours we have a raging flamewar, replete with personal abuse |and almost all the EFL[/q1]
students have run for cover.

Summary: Until you arrived, we were all friends here, without any real debate or argument, muddling
through with students who wouldn't answer back. And quite comfy, thank you. Now, you've turned up
and made us think more carefully about what we say.

[q1]|Work it out for yourself: cause -> effect.[/q1]

And I hope you're grateful.

--

Howard Coakley: New Media Consultant. My messageboard:-
http://cgi.coakley.plus.com/cgi-bin/.../ikonboard.cgi e-mail...
howard<dot}coakleyatbigfoot<dot].com
ICQ:4502837. (Try ICQ at www.icq.com)
0
Marc Donovan
Badges:
#13
Report 17 years ago
#13
Howie <[email protected] sage.com> typed: [...]
[q1]>Summary: Until you arrived, we were all friends here, without any real debate or argument, muddling[/q1]
[q1]>through with students who wouldn't answer back. And quite comfy, thank you.[/q1]

Mostly correct. You seem to have a problem with a non-aggressive newsgroup with a high signal to
noise ratio and friendly attitude. Why is that? Could it be because you've found that you are
incapable of contributing anything useful?

[q1]>Now, you've turned up and made us think more carefully about what we say.[/q1]

Incorrect.

The correct phrase is: "Now, you've turned up and have become the first person in this newsgroup to
hit my killfile." In fact, you're nothing but a little troll, with the same attitude as all trolls
on Usenet. You spread strife and argument. You are a disease. Hopefully others will learn to ignore
you, as that is the only cure for trolls.

Goodbye.
--
Marc Donovan. donovan(at)dnrc.co.uk Leaving the country sale: http://www.dnrc.co.uk/sale
0
Pearson Brown
Badges:
#14
Report 17 years ago
#14
On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:55:52 +0100, Marc Donovan <[email protected]>

[q1]>The correct phrase is: "Now, you've turned up and have become the first person in this newsgroup to[/q1]
[q1]>hit my killfile." In fact, you're nothing but a little troll, with the same attitude as all trolls[/q1]
[q1]>on Usenet. You spread strife and argument. You are a disease. Hopefully others will learn to ignore[/q1]
[q1]>you, as that is the only cure for trolls.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Goodbye.[/q1]

The good thing about such postings is that they remind us of the high standard set by Einde and Mr
Franke and the others. The recent threads on 'they' and 'gotten' were very interesting.

Have a look at this guy's website www.coakley.co.uk if you want to see some unusual and innovative
punctuation. For example, he seems to think that you sometimes have to put a comma between the
subject and the verb. Some 'expert'.

Pearson Brown www.better-english.com
0
Howie
Badges:
#15
Report 17 years ago
#15
On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:55:52 +0100, Marc Donovan <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]|Howie <[email protected] sage.com> typed:[/q1]
[q1]|[...][/q1]
[q1]|>Summary: Until you arrived, we were all friends here, without any real debate or argument,[/q1]
[q1]|>muddling through with students who wouldn't answer back. And quite comfy, thank you.[/q1]
[q1]|[/q1]
[q1]|Mostly correct.[/q1]

Thought so.

[q1]|>Now, you've turned up and made us think more carefully about what we say.[/q1]
[q1]|[/q1]
[q1]|Incorrect.[/q1]

Really?

[q1]|The correct phrase is: "Now, you've turned up and have become the first |person in this newsgroup[/q1]
to hit my killfile."

No. That is a DIFFERENT phrase!

[q1]|In fact, you're nothing but |a little troll, with the same attitude as all trolls on Usenet. You[/q1]
spread |strife and argument. You are a disease. Hopefully others will learn to |ignore you, as that
is the only cure for trolls.

Others who've known me for much longer, know different.

[q1]|Goodbye.[/q1]

Goodbye.
[q1]:-)[/q1]
0
X
new posts

All the exam results help you need

2,978

people online now

225,530

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (111)
14.02%
Excited (76)
9.6%
Worried (151)
19.07%
Terrified (183)
23.11%
Meh (51)
6.44%
Confused (22)
2.78%
Putting on a brave face (96)
12.12%
Impatient (102)
12.88%

Watched Threads

View All