The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Trying to blag an extra 5% on exams for certain reasons reaaaaally annoy me.
Reply 2
...I had depression, stress and anxiety. Didn't get extra marks.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7355973.stm

I don't think you'd get 5% - go halfway down the page to the little blue box on the right. If it would have a severe impact on your exam performance it might be worth it....but only if you're borderline as the percentage added really isn't that much, stress and anxiety is 1%.
Reply 4
Personally I think that if there's any reason that you haven't performed as well as you could have (other than no revision etc), and has meant that you have not been in the same position as everyone else whilst taking the exam, then the exam board should be made aware. It's then down to their discretion whether they award you extra marks. I took an AS exam whilst suffering from glandular fever- had all sorts of complications which means I had literally been in bed and not eaten for around 2 weeks before the exam. Really wasn't in much of a state to be going anywhere, let alone trying to concentrate on an exam- I got a letter from the GP and my school sent it with my paper, but I'm not sure if it made any difference or not!

So, if you feel that you're at an unfair disadvantage because of a health problem, then I'd say go for it. On your list I think depression is the only thing that really fits that- most people have some degree of stress and anxiety around exam time.
Reply 5
They should get extra time instead. Extra marks is so ambiguous - 5% extra could make a tiny difference on a paper with high grade boundaries but a massive difference on a paper with difficult questions and low grade boundaries.
Reply 6
I wish I could apply for those extra marks. I have missed weeks and weeks off school this year because I've been so ill, and back and forth to the hospital, and they still don't know whats up with me! Also I'm due to get my CT results smack bang in the middle off exams. My mum has jsut been for tests for cancer, luckily it came back all clear but God that was stressful! My little brother is in and out of hospital with breathing problems. I'm having to get the union involved in stresses at work.

I'm in a world full of stress at the moment!! I've missed loads of work so revision is ten times harder than before. But hey, what am I gunna do about it?
Revise harder, no point gettin extra marks. If I got into university only because of free marks, and then found out I didn't have a clue what they were on about half the time.. I'd be gutted and just in the same position as before.
I've been stressed and depressed. And I didn't get extra marks.

Extra time is a better thing to get.
Reply 8
Stressed while taking an exam? Isn't everyone?
Reply 9
I have bi-polar disorder and epilepsy, and I get extensions on courseworks and breaks in exams.

This is often the equivalent of getting extra marks- I can achieve marks I couldn't otherwise manage.

I don't choose these disorders. I don't want to be the one singled out to have her exam in a room of her own, to hand in coursework a month after everyone else.

I get them because I need them, I am on an equal footing. Same applies to people who have other things that affect them. As long as it seriously affects their exam performance (which is something that must be decided by the appropriate bodies, not us), I have absolutely no problem with it.
Reply 10
Anonymous
im asking whether I would look silly asking for the possibility of xtra marks in my alevel exams due to depression, stress and anxiety (personal reasons). the other day someone on here asked about getting xtra marks for their parents splitting up and many people said it was wrong.

Why don't you just try your best like everyone else.
Reply 11
Op, why do you really need to justify it to people on here? If *you* think you should have it and they are going to give it to you, and you can prove it then go for it. If you and the exam board both think you need it then why do you care what people on here say?

Also, it's kind of obvious that you will get a negative reaction on here. People hate the thought of other people getting longer than them even when it is for a justified reason. I haven't had extra time for formal exams but have had extensions on deadlines for such things as broken bones! Other people always complain that it's not fair. And we all do it to some extent, if we're honest. A lot of people will look down the 'dyslexia' row in an English A level and feel a bit hard done!
recent death of a parent only 5%?? :s
Extra marks for having issues? . . :confused: thats a new one on me.
Reply 14
Mtfu
Reply 15
MeanMachine
recent death of a parent only 5%?? :s

I got that. I didn't even know extra marks for such things existed, so I was pretty grateful tbf.

It does surprise me that people think 'anxiety and stress' should be reason for them to get extra marks. Everyone has that at exam time, just do your revision and earn your grades.

Edit: the 5% made no difference to what grades I got anyway.
Reply 16
Most students have depression, stress, and anxiety around exam time, lol!
Reply 17
You should definitely ask for extra marks. Teachers want you to get the best grade possible, so while there is a system in place which will make allowances for circumstances such as yours, why not take advantage of it ? Just get a letter from a parent or your GP, and give it to your personal tutor. Some of your fellow students might feel bitter about it because they might feel that you don't deserve the extra marks. However, ignore them. Sometimes it's difficult for people to empathise with what you're going through! good luck.
nadnerb
Stressed while taking an exam? Isn't everyone?

This.
Reply 19
sprout.
Trying to blag an extra 5% on exams for certain reasons reaaaaally annoy me.

Not if someone has serious mitigating circumstances, I hope? Besides, I doubt few manage to get an extra 5%. That's just for rare, extreme cases. It's usually 1 - 2%.

The system is open to abuse, with (what it's claimed) are mainly private schools trying to get compensation because Timmy's hamster died. But there are plenty of genuine cases.

viirkokka
They should get extra time instead. Extra marks is so ambiguous - 5% extra could make a tiny difference on a paper with high grade boundaries but a massive difference on a paper with difficult questions and low grade boundaries.

All depends on what is wrong with the person. Someone who has suffered from depression throughout their A-levels has probably underperformed throughout their A-levels and did limited revision. In this case, having extra time probably isn't going to balance it out. That said, breaks during exams would help. On the other hand, someone with dyslexia, dyspraxia or Asperger's may be given extra time because their handwriting speed is affected.

Anonymous
im asking whether I would look silly asking for the possibility of xtra marks in my alevel exams due to depression, stress and anxiety (personal reasons). the other day someone on here asked about getting xtra marks for their parents splitting up and many people said it was wrong.

Many people on here can be idiots tbf

If you think it's had a negative effect on your performance then yes, go and get some medical evidence and try and get a concession. You won't look silly. But you will not get 5%, that's only for those who may experience the death of a close relative not long before the exam or any other extreme case.

I had bipolar disorder (although at the time it was just a major depressive episode and wasn't diagnosed) epilepsy (was under investigation during my A2 year) and dyspraxia/Asperger's (again, not diagnosed at the time). As a current A-level student I'd be able to get 2 or 3 extra percent or at least get some exam cocessions. But back when I did my A-levels I don't think there was the same standardised system that we have now. It was just up to the exam boards whether or not they should take it into account and the clearly didn't.

Because of my poor health I certainly underperformed and my final grades aren't a true reflection of my ability. With that extra two or three percent two of my Bs would've been brought up to As. Instead I only achieved BBB and missed my university offer and almost missed out on my university place. Fortunately they decided to take the mitigating circumstances into account. But I still feel bitter and I don't want that to happen to anyone else, not someone who has experienced genuine difficulties.

So you are experiencing difficulties then please do. Try and speak to a member of staff about it and you may need medical evidence. I'm assuming you're at sixth form and, if you are, it may be worth making the universities aware of the situation. It will not work against you. It will just mean that, if the worst does happen, they are already aware of the situation and will be able to take it into consideration when deciding to offer you a place or not. If you leave it until results day, like I did, you can have quite a fight on your hands and risk missing out.

Latest

Trending

Trending