Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey i need help with a question... im really stuck
    it's to with elasticities: Income Elasticity of Demand/ Cross Elasticity of Demand/ Price Elasticity of Supply

Question: A newspaper company is considering diversigying by buying a smaller book publishing company
    Discuss (a) whther books have a better long term sales future then newspapers
    (b) whether the newspaper side of the company might soon be less important then the book publishing side

any help appreciated
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MIZZ)
    it's to with elasticities: Income Elasticity of Demand/ Cross Elasticity of Demand/ Price Elasticity of Supply

Question: A newspaper company is considering diversigying by buying a smaller book publishing company
    (b) whether the newspaper side of the company might soon be less important then the book publishing side

any help appreciated
    http://www.tutor2u.net/revision_note...asp#elasticity

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the link Pencil Queen
    I understand elasticities...
    i just don't know how to approach the question... i can see no link in what they are asking and elasticities... and i haven't the faintest idea about newspaper and book sales

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIZZ)

any help appreciated
    elasticity will help you make decisions regarding the pricing and marketing strategy of the books and papers. by comparing the elasticities with your target audiences you can make judgements based on the market performance of both. are newspapers and books compliments(ppl who read the paper will be attracted by the offer of books aswell) or substitutes(they will buy books instead)?

ReputationRep:
    the figures i have show household expenditure on books and newspapers by decile group. So i could work out income elasticity or just compare the expenditures...
    but what i DONT see is how thats gonna help me determine whether in the long term books have a better sales future
    and whether the newspaper side of the company might soon be less important then the book publishing side

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIZZ)
    the figures i have show household expenditure on books and newspapers by decile group. So i could work out income elasticity or just compare the expenditures...
    but what i DONT see is how thats gonna help me determine whether in the long term books have a better sales future
    and whether the newspaper side of the company might soon be less important then the book publishing side
    comparison of the income elasticities and cross-price elasticity. the fluctuation in demand against price etc. you cant determine whether there will be a better sales future based on this alone, but it helps to show the change in revenue that will occur in one product for demand in the other.

ReputationRep:
    would u say books and newspapers are complements or substitutes
    to me they seem like neither
    so that would mean i cant use cross elasticity
    hmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIZZ)
    would u say books and newspapers are complements or substitutes
    to me they seem like neither
    so that would mean i cant use cross elasticity
    hmmmmm
    they could be both.
    people who read books could also read newspapers. they could also not read newspapers as a result of reading books. that is the point of the exercise from the way you have explained it, how will books effect the sales of newspapers.

ReputationRep:
    so far my answer is
    as income goes up the book making side will profit more than the newspapers as books are more income elastic than newspapers, and vice-versa if the income decreases then newspapers won't be affected as much but the profitability of books will drop.
    Books may overtake newspapers as company might decide that as incomes go up, books become more in demand than newspapers, so they would profit more from book publishing.

now im thinking of mentioning cross elasticity... but if books and papers are subs and compl. it makes it very confusing for me :s

oh and i was also able ot work out from the figures provided the income elasticity....
    books were elastic
    and newspapers inelastic

i have no 'change in price' figure to work out cross elasticity

ReputationRep:
    ne 1 else?

ReputationRep:
    ?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.