The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Allyria
I also want do some preparation for Archaeology - I'm far less enthusiastic about it than about Anthropology (hopefully I'll be able to cover that up during my interview!).

Haha, I know the feeling. Don't worry about it - I knew I wanted to do bioanth before I got here, and I think it showed in my interviews (all archaeology & soc anth, which was fun!), but I still got in :smile:
Reply 21
Katie J
Don't worry about the anthropology, your enthusiasm for archaeology will get you through...I was interviewed for archaeology and soc anth, had it just been soc anth I doubt I would be here now! Something to bear in mind when looking at colleges at least.

Er... I hope it works the other way round as well! It's anthropology that I really want to do - my enthusiasm for Archaeology is almost non-existant. :frown: Well, maybe that's not entirely true - I went to Dartmoor last year and found the remains there amazing - came home with endless photos of stones in bizarre formations ... and no idea what any of it was!

How did you manage to do so much work experience? Your list is incredible, and despite your assurances has made me start to panic! Thanks for the advice all the same ... guess I know how this summer is going to be spent!

amateurish
Haha, I know the feeling. Don't worry about it - I knew I wanted to do bioanth before I got here, and I think it showed in my interviews (all archaeology & soc anth, which was fun!), but I still got in

That's reassuring ... what college was that for? I'm pretty sure I want to do Soc Anth (and not just because that's the only way to escape the practicals...).
Allyria
That's reassuring ... what college was that for? I'm pretty sure I want to do Soc Anth (and not just because that's the only way to escape the practicals...).

Newnham and then Christ's (I was pooled). The practicals are actually pretty fun...:smile:
Reply 23
Allyria
Er... I hope it works the other way round as well! It's anthropology that I really want to do - my enthusiasm for Archaeology is almost non-existant. :frown: Well, maybe that's not entirely true - I went to Dartmoor last year and found the remains there amazing - came home with endless photos of stones in bizarre formations ... and no idea what any of it was!

How did you manage to do so much work experience? Your list is incredible, and despite your assurances has made me start to panic! Thanks for the advice all the same ... guess I know how this summer is going to be spent!

I am pretty enthusiastic about archaeology! Always have been, it was a big hobby until I was old enough to realise it could be more than that, it's years and years worth, not all done at once! Don't worry, very few people have any work experience at all, I'm probably the exception. I know a few people that went on digs but really we are the minority, don't worry! It wasn't done with the aim of uni in mind, but it certainly helped later, it was done because I loved it!
Reply 24
Just one more Anthropology related question ... Do you get to learn much evolutionary psychology? Because that's what I really want to study. I have read the course outline through many times, but didn't find it that clear. Also, would it be bio or social?

Allyria
Just one more Anthropology related question ... Do you get to learn much evolutionary psychology? Because that's what I really want to study. I have read the course outline through many times, but didn't find it that clear. Also, would it be bio or social?

hmm...it would be bioanth/the evolutionary bits of archaeology, i think - social tends to be more about the present, although you study the work of anthropologists since about 1900. in the first year, you cover some stuff like theory of mind in archaeology, and if you do 4A you do stuff that gets into psychology a bit, like the evolution of language. we didn't really do a lot of it in IIa bioanth this year, but the evolutionary paper isn't really evolutionary anthropology in the most direct sense - it's more of a grounding in it (we do anatomy, osteology and evolutionary theory). next year there is a whole paper on human evolution, and as some of the part II introductory reading was things like cartwright - evolution & human behaviour, i expect it'll come up a bit more then. hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 26
amateurish
hmm...it would be bioanth/the evolutionary bits of archaeology, i think - social tends to be more about the present, although you study the work of anthropologists since about 1900. in the first year, you cover some stuff like theory of mind in archaeology, and if you do 4A you do stuff that gets into psychology a bit, like the evolution of language. we didn't really do a lot of it in IIa bioanth this year, but the evolutionary paper isn't really evolutionary anthropology in the most direct sense - it's more of a grounding in it (we do anatomy, osteology and evolutionary theory). next year there is a whole paper on human evolution, and as some of the part II introductory reading was things like cartwright - evolution & human behaviour, i expect it'll come up a bit more then. hope that helps! :smile:

Thanks, that helps a lot! Evolutionary psychology really should be a subject in its own right (in my opinion). I was completely converted when I read a book by Stephen Pinker ... now I can't stop thinking about it, in relation to everyday things and my own thoughts ... which isn't always a good thing! I imagine other areas of Anthropology do that to you as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending