Turn on thread page Beta

jaffa cakes watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    why is a jaffa known as a cake when in actually more of a biscuit? please can someone let me know cos its drivin my mate liz mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers xxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Why do they call animal crackers, cracker's, when in fact they are more of a cookie than a cracker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sianease)
    why is a jaffa known as a cake when in actually more of a biscuit? please can someone let me know cos its drivin my mate liz mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers xxxxxx
    ooo, good question but i dont have a clue - sorry! jaffa "biscuits" are LOVELY thou! xx

ReputationRep:

Wasn't there some court battle about this at some point?! I think they decided they were cakes because they go hard if you leave them, whereas biscuits tend to go soft...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Why do they call animal crackers, cracker's, when in fact they are more of a cookie than a cracker?
    thats great but i really want to know bout the jaffa problem!!!! but quite clever thou!!! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)

Cos they're crackin'.

*collapses laughing at own joke*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Cos they're crackin'.

lol..........ok then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Cos they're crackin'.

LOL

ReputationRep:
    cos it sounds better!!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's less of a biscuit and more of a cake, as jaffa cakes contain a complex sponge, and we normally associate sponge with cake, rather than scouring pads.
    The word jaffa actually is a port in western Israel on the Mediterranean, I dont think I found one of them though.

ReputationRep:
    Mmmmmm, Jaffa cakes (drools in a Homer Simpson styley!)

Damn you, I want jaffa cakes now and can't have any til I've done my work and eventually leave uni.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look here - scroll down a bit to the faq.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    You don't pay VAT on cakes but you do on chocolate biscuits - as cakes the price is cheaper so McVs sell more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    You don't pay VAT on cakes but you do on chocolate biscuits - as cakes the price is cheaper so McVs sell more.
    How come you don't pay VAT on cakes but do on biscuits!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr-shiraz)
    How come you don't pay VAT on cakes but do on biscuits!?!
    Because food in this country isn't taxed. Cakes count as food, where as biscuits count as a snack. Snacks are taxed.

Interesting aside regards Jaffa Cakes, if you don't like the 'taste' of your partner (yes I am refering to the sexual way) then eating a packet of Jaffa Cakes improves things hugely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Because food in this country isn't taxed. Cakes count as food, where as biscuits count as a snack. Snacks are taxed.

Interesting aside regards Jaffa Cakes, if you don't like the 'taste' of your partner (yes I am refering to the sexual way) then eating a packet of Jaffa Cakes improves things hugely.
    is that because the jaffa cakes are more likely to make you feel sick than the 'other' thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    is that because the jaffa cakes are more likely to make you feel sick than the 'other' thing?
    It's your partner "throwing up" you want to be worried about...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Have a look here - scroll down a bit to the faq.
    lol I like the humour there...

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.