Turn on thread page Beta

Can we know something that has not been proven true? watch

Announcements

(Original post by mikesgt2)
    From what I understand of mathematical proof by induction, it is different to what I was refering to above.

What I was refing to was about arriving at probable principles from past experience (like that the sun will rise tommorow.) Mathematical proof by induction is not concerned with experience; rather, it assumes a general case and shows that if this is true then the next one is true. These are two different things aren't they?
    Yes. You are referring to empirical induction, as opposed to mathematical induction.

ReputationRep:
    ooopss big mistake dint see taht first time around! thanks guys. what other ideas can we use in this essay, u know them areas of knowing.... so far i included mathematics, physics and history... are there any others that any of you are using?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    From Gödel Escher Bash, an Eternal Golden Braid , by Hofstadter:
    [conversation between Achilles and the Tortoise]
    rip off...
    http://www.ditext.com/carroll/tortoise.html

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.