The Student Room Group

The AEA/Oxford/S Paper superthread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
NesQuiK.
Do you guys think the examiners would get pissed off and be more disinclined to give me marks if i did questions in a random order?

Im having major difficulty with these papers so I would be happier banging out the 3 questions that I know i can do well first to build confidence ato try and attempt the rest.

Aghh, i breezed through A2 Maths/Fmaths but im doing terribly on these buggers, i really hope its just due to lack of focus as alevels have finished! :s-smilie:

Edit:
2006,3(b), could somebody explain how to do this please! cheers

You can do questions in any order :smile: Just make sure you write the order you did them on the first page. They won't mind.
NesQuiK.

2006,3(b), could somebody explain how to do this please! cheers

So from the previous part we can rewrite it as this:

logyx=1logyx\displaystyle\log_y x = \frac{1}{\log_y x}

(logyx)21=0\displaystyle\Rightarrow (\log_y x)^2 - 1 = 0

(logyx1)(logyx+1)=0\displaystyle\Rightarrow (\log_y x -1)(\log_y x +1) = 0

From here either logyx=1\displaystyle\log_y x = 1 or logyx=1 \log_y x = -1

We can rule out logyx=1\displaystyle\log_y x = 1 because that would give us y=x which is not true for the given range ( x>y>0)
Reply 62
darkness9999
So from the previous part we can rewrite it as this:

logyx=1logyx\displaystyle\log_y x = \frac{1}{\log_y x}

(logyx)21=0\displaystyle\Rightarrow (\log_y x)^2 - 1 = 0

(logyx1)(logyx+1)=0\displaystyle\Rightarrow (\log_y x -1)(\log_y x +1) = 0

From here either logyx=1\displaystyle\log_y x = 1 or logyx=1 \log_y x = -1

We can rule out logyx=1\displaystyle\log_y x = 1 because that would give us y=x which is not true for the given range ( x>y>0)

Thanks, i did manage it in the end yesterday but forgot to double edit the post!
Anyone know where I could get old special papers/ anything else of that kind of level? I've got all STEP papers and AEA papers which should keep me busy for quite a while, but I'd like to have a look at the old special papers too.
Reply 64
matt2k8
Anyone know where I could get old special papers/ anything else of that kind of level? I've got all STEP papers and AEA papers which should keep me busy for quite a while, but I'd like to have a look at the old special papers too.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=859837 first post at the bottom.
Reply 65
can i get the solutions for the 2009 aea paper please please :wink:
Reply 66
cheena
I'm not sure if they have been released yet. I know the AQA papers arent released till after the following sitting.
Reply 67
Hey I don't agree with your answer to Q13 on the S paper thread, have a look.
cheena

The "official" ones aren't out yet but I'm sure they'll be somewhere on the forum if you do a search.
Reply 69
matt2k8
The "official" ones aren't out yet but I'm sure they'll be somewhere on the forum if you do a search.

yeah i found it a few days ago

thanks though
:cool: :cool:
The Muon
I'm not sure if they have been released yet. I know the AQA papers arent released till after the following sitting.

Hi guys
is the AEA worth doing ? i mean the effort and time you put in to Unis Value it, Im thinking of doing furthermaths and AEA maths in my gap year,
Reply 71
Thomassss
Hi guys
is the AEA worth doing ? i mean the effort and time you put in to Unis Value it, Im thinking of doing furthermaths and AEA maths in my gap year,

You are better off doing step but AEA is good fun if you are having a gap year and want to stay in touch with maths.
Anyone know where I could get mark schemes for the old special papers (and preferably question papers too)? I've got a Special Paper from 2000 here (Exam board: OCR, Code on front: 9448/0) but no mark scheme.
Anyone know where I could get any resources on the type of geometry that usually comes up in the AEA, i.e. circle within a kite/within a triangle etc? After a 40-minute unsucessful battle with the last question on AEA 2009, and a few usually more sucessful but still long battles with nasty geometry questions on other AEAs I think I need to practice that sort of thing :\
Reply 74
matt2k8
Anyone know where I could get any resources on the type of geometry that usually comes up in the AEA, i.e. circle within a kite/within a triangle etc? After a 40-minute unsucessful battle with the last question on AEA 2009, and a few usually more sucessful but still long battles with nasty geometry questions on other AEAs I think I need to practice that sort of thing :\

the Bostock and chandler book has quite a few geometrical/vector AEA type questions..might be of help..
rbnphlp
the Bostock and chandler book has quite a few geometrical/vector AEA type questions..might be of help..

There isn't anything of the type I'm looking for :frown: unless I'm not looking hard enough in there

Anyone know if in the AEA, when you fill the 16 page answer booklet, you get an extra answer booklet or just go onto supplementary sheets like normal exams? I draw graphs/diagrams really big and like using them, only use every other line, write quite fast etc so I can't imagine fitting an entire AEA, and I don't like the idea of having to write my name on loads of supplementary sheets :frown:
Reply 76
matt2k8
There isn't anything of the type I'm looking for :frown: unless I'm not looking hard enough in there

Anyone know if in the AEA, when you fill the 16 page answer booklet, you get an extra answer booklet or just go onto supplementary sheets like normal exams? I draw graphs/diagrams really big and like using them, only use every other line, write quite fast etc so I can't imagine fitting an entire AEA, and I don't like the idea of having to write my name on loads of supplementary sheets :frown:

step 1 papers containing the vector questions probably might help :dontknow:
I think you get supplementary sheets (consists of 2 pages or something) ..
Reply 77
Hey

To get accepted to the university I want to go to, Im required to achieve at least a merit in the AEA exam. Im going to start preparing for the exam soon (Im on track with my a-levels so I just need to focus on the AEA). Im going to start with pastt there arent that many. I was wondering if you could reccomend any other sources of revision material.

freefrag
Reply 78
Hi im planning to do the AEA exam this year and am going through the past papers.
Just wondering when the papers just "clicked" and started to get easier for those who have already done it.
Because I'm on my 3rd/4th paper and just worried cos im still finding it quite hard. Doing the '04 paper btw. just 2months left!! :eek3:
ty
amoled
Hi im planning to do the AEA exam this year and am going through the past papers.
Just wondering when the papers just "clicked" and started to get easier for those who have already done it.
Because I'm on my 3rd/4th paper and just worried cos im still finding it quite hard. Doing the '04 paper btw. just 2months left!! :eek3:
ty

It's not "just 2months", it's almost 3 months as the AEA isn't until the 30th of June :smile:. And don't worry about how long it took for other people, everyone is different... just keep working on past papers and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending