Turn on thread page Beta

Please will you lovely people help me on some physics coursework. watch

ReputationRep:
    OK, i have to do a piece of GCSE coursework titled "what effects the cooking time of potatoes"
    we have to explain why the mass of the potato, makes the cooking time increase. but you know, it has to be in scientific terms. any of you guys got an idea?
    AND, when cooking a little cube of potato, what processes of convection, conduction, radiation are going on?

i really am clueless 'cause my science teacher is a retard and i have my module exam next week and im gunna fail! if ANYONE could answer ANY part of my questions asap it would help me a lot.

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

ReputationRep:
    I refuse to help anyone who keeps registering loads of new users with stupid names that are specific to one thread......soz

ReputationRep:
    look at
    www.courseworkbank.com

hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    I refuse to help anyone who keeps registering loads of new users with stupid names that are specific to one thread......soz
    well no actually, this is the first time ive signed up, and i just happen to hate science, and i have no idea what all you crazy people are about, so as i hate science, i thought of a random name. is that ok with you?

ReputationRep:
    hmm... why didn't your teacher set something interesting like electrical resistance like ours did

Well... I'd say..

Radiation - Radiation is how heat from the cooking element gets to the potato through air
    Convection - When the air heats up it gets convection currents which causes it to move so the hottest air is at the top.
    Conduction - Heat has to conduct through the potato to get to the middle of the potato - the bigger the potato, the more potato the heat has to conduct through to get to the middle so the slower it cooks.

The time increases because the more mass there is, the more energy needs to be transferred which takes longer. And the heat has to get to the middle.

Don't worry about the teacher - we're about to start a chemistry coursework with a teacher who doesn't seem to know what he/she's doing and constantly insults our intelligence (not mentioning any specific details, teachers use this forum)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_science)
    well no actually, this is the first time ive signed up, and i just happen to hate science, and i have no idea what all you crazy people are about, so as i hate science, i thought of a random name. is that ok with you?
    My previous comment still stands....

ReputationRep:
    thankyou! thats kinda straightened things out in my head abit.

so if im cooking a little cube of potato in a beaker of water, then the heat from the bunsen buner will cause convection through the water, making the water heat up. that will then cause the potato to heat up, which does so by...conduction?

my science teacher talks little english lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    My previous comment still stands....
    fair enough, but at least now you know it was made under false terms.

ReputationRep:
    Radiation is heat moving as an electromagnetic wave.
    Conduction is heat moving by particles heating up the particles next to it so it gets hotter throughout.
    Convection is movement of heat by the hot water moving upwards.

So when you begin to heat your beaker of water the water the water at the bottom will get hot and move upwards because its density decreases. This means that that hot water will end up at the top. Colder water will move down the sides to the bottom and get heated up and move upwards. So you have this convection current where the water moves round in a circle being warmed up, moving to the top, cooling to a temperature below the water below it and moving back down to the bottom to be heated. Some heat might conduct through the water though.

My chemistry teacher speaks ok but doesn't explain stuff properly and kept an innocent little girl arguing for 20 minutes after school because she said the teacher wasn't explaining it properly and now the little girl has to go see the head of science tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    for someone who has a crap teacher, you have a decent understanding of it! thanks for that help, my teacher contradicts himself and tells us all the wrong things half the time, so im pretty worried about my modular next week. ahh well, its just as well i dont want to be a scientist!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.