The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

im thinking of goin to sussex....

at last a sub forum!! so im thinkin if goin to sussex this year (debating between this and reading) - has anyone got any info to help wiv my decision? whats sussex like as a place to be? is it a pain to hav to get the train into brighton all the time? or anythin else useful...
would be a big help - thanks a lot!! x
appleshampoo
at last a sub forum!! so im thinkin if goin to sussex this year (debating between this and reading) - has anyone got any info to help wiv my decision? whats sussex like as a place to be? is it a pain to hav to get the train into brighton all the time? or anythin else useful...
would be a big help - thanks a lot!! x

Brighton is a much more vibrant city, with something for everyone. And even bettter - I'm going there! Haha. Seriously though, I can't imagine it being a pain having to get the train - the train station is literally across the road from the uni and I think it only takes 10 minutes and is pretty cheap. The bus service is meant to run regularly as well.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Hi,

It's very easy to get to Brighton on the train - 10 minutes and you're there from the uni!

C ya,

Jordan :biggrin:
Reply 3
k so i think ive decided im prob gonna pik sussex! excited but also scared! it is a reputable uni isnt it?? why has everyone else chosen sussex?? x
Hey,

Yes, Sussex is a very respectable university I would say. I chose it mainly due to location and because they offered the course I wanted to do. I didn't consider accommodation, because I knew I was going to live at home in the first year. However, as I said before, I have applied to live on campus in my second year, in Lewes Court (Phase 2).

If you need any more help regarding anything about the uni, I will be glad to help you.

Take care,

Jordan :biggrin:
Reply 5
Er.. I need a bit of persuading, currently caught between sussex and uea...
I heard that brigton is good for clubbing and 'raving, dude' as my mate put it, but I'm more into like indie gigs and pubs. Is there a big live music scene?
Reply 6
*steph 247*
Er.. I need a bit of persuading, currently caught between sussex and uea...
I heard that brigton is good for clubbing and 'raving, dude' as my mate put it, but I'm more into like indie gigs and pubs. Is there a big live music scene?

Well I'd have thought there'd be more in Brighton, than in Norwich for live sets! :rolleyes:
Reply 7
brighton is great for nightlife.
there are places for live music, Concord 2 does live every night I think, as well as other places like pubs and things.

If you go to clubs there are quite a few, Event 2 and Creation are big ones, Honey Club is not too big but popular, (good music too), I can tell you more about Brighton if you want.
Reply 8
Brighton is great Why isnt there a Brighton sub forum?????????
Raindance
Well I'd have thought there'd be more in Brighton, than in Norwich for live sets! :rolleyes:

Actually UEA has a good live venue at the uni and a lot of big bands play there. You won't be short of live indie/rock stuff at either tbh, but I'd say Brighton is better as not only does it have quite a vast range of venues, it is close to London and EVERY band goes to London on tour.
james101
Brighton is great Why isnt there a Brighton sub forum?????????

Not a clue (i'm at brighton by the way), which is why i'll probably be posting in here when i feel like talking about brightonny stuff, until they make a brighton sub forum.
Reply 11
:biggrin: cool! Thanks! I was just v. impressed by the line up of bands at uea (I think the venue is actually on campus) but if you don't think that'd be a problem then I'm gonna have to find something else to make up my mind!
*steph 247*
:biggrin: cool! Thanks! I was just v. impressed by the line up of bands at uea (I think the venue is actually on campus) but if you don't think that'd be a problem then I'm gonna have to find something else to make up my mind!

Trust me, you will not be short of live music in Brighton!!
Reply 13
Is there any clubs like the barfly in london, cardiff, etc? What kinda bands play in brighton? any decent punk/rock/emo stuff?

Also what accomodation does everyon thinks best, i think i like lewes court, brighthelm (or maybe park village/houses) i dunno!!

Any advice for when we first get there??
Reply 14
appleshampoo
Is there any clubs like the barfly in london, cardiff, etc? What kinda bands play in brighton? any decent punk/rock/emo stuff?

Also what accomodation does everyon thinks best, i think i like lewes court, brighthelm (or maybe park village/houses) i dunno!!

Hey people just joined this, usually use newstudent.org.
I was torn between Reading, Sussex and Rhul but choose reading last night because it has the best of everything close by city great campus etc

i am a bit worried of music scene tho, into metal and ive heard reading is full of cheese n pop places :0
appleshampoo

Loads of bands play in Brighton, in fact, most bands that gig in London will often gig in Brighton as well. Depends what kind of music you're into but there is a big rock/indie scene, big names and underground stuff as well. Lots of big artists play in Brighton too...for example Avril Lavigne, Chemical Brothers, Kasabian, Mark Knopfler, Ben Folds, The Beautiful South...etc etc. Have a look on this site for detailed listings:
http://www.ents24.com/web/whatson/music/brighton.html?
Reply 16
Soad_fan
Hey people just joined this, usually use newstudent.org.
I was torn between Reading, Sussex and Rhul but choose reading last night because it has the best of everything close by city great campus etc

i am a bit worried of music scene tho, into metal and ive heard reading is full of cheese n pop places :0

hehe, i know you from newstudent!

don't know how you can say reading has best of everything over sussex - sussex has lively and friendly campus and is close to brighton which is a much nicer city than reading :P and it has a beach to boot!
appleshampoo

Yeah, theres alot of it.
I'd recommend the Brighton Rocks events, which are sort of punk/rock stuff, where theres 8/10 bands, not big names or anything, but its only £5 for a ticket and stuff, and there are some great talent there (musically, i mean)

Latest

Trending

Trending