Watch
This discussion is closed.
CHAD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hi
I just read a thread about the channel 4 program that was on recently about under 14's and stuff and sum1 was talking about people bing mucked up and stuff.

Most people expect kids at private schools to be on the ball etc, v brainy and i am not disputing that, but I myself go 2 a private school and there r loads of mucked up kids there. I am not saying all private schools r like this, but I think most private schools are more interested in league tables and grades than the welfare of their students. I agree grade are important but they should b looking out 4 the kids aswell. At my school I particularly feel this is the situation. The teachers do seem 2 care about us quite a lot, but the head, deputy and house mistresses dont seem 2 at all, and are only interested in grades and league tables.

What do other people think about this problem?
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It's probably ignorance - maybe if they realised people do have problems and tried to help sort them out for the students then the pass rates would go up even more rather than believing that good grades come only from hard work.

But hey they are paid to teach not to sort their heads out.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I go to a state-run grammar school and the head's like that... I'm in year 11 and in September he tried to brainwash us into working hard and cutting out the social life to get the best grades possible. Then our worried form tutor told us how we shouldn't cut out the social life and become work-a-holics.

Private schools want to sell themselves to they're going to put pressure on you to make them look good. And the caring part is the same - they want people to think their students are well cared for as well as well educated.

It's all phony... reminds me of Catcher in the Rye which we're studying in English.
wayland
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by CHAD)
Hi
I just read a thread about the channel 4 program that was on recently about under 14's and stuff and sum1 was talking about people bing mucked up and stuff.

Most people expect kids at private schools to be on the ball etc, v brainy and i am not disputing that, but I myself go 2 a private school and there r loads of mucked up kids there. I am not saying all private schools r like this, but I think most private schools are more interested in league tables and grades than the welfare of their students. I agree grade are important but they should b looking out 4 the kids aswell. At my school I particularly feel this is the situation. The teachers do seem 2 care about us quite a lot, but the head, deputy and house mistresses dont seem 2 at all, and are only interested in grades and league tables.

What do other people think about this problem?
A liberal winger.

As far as I am concerned, the only social responsiblity of an educational establishment is to get the best grades possible by any means neccessary. If you do well in the exams and go to a good uni then you will be happy.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by wayland)
the only social responsiblity of an educational establishment is to get the best grades possible by any means neccessary.
Exactly, and the ways suggested such as looking after the kids and comforting/helping them on other aspects is one way that would improve grades.
wayland
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Exactly, and the ways suggested such as looking after the kids and comforting/helping them on other aspects is one way that would improve grades.
Another liberal winger.

The amount of time you get in the exam is very limited, and so the students need to be toughened up so that they write fast and have no emotions.
RedCat6
Report 16 years ago
Teacher here. Pastoral care in schools is very important. Teachers are trained to notice any significant shift in a students behaviour and offer assistance relating to how that affects their work. However, teachers cannot get too personally involved with their students and student counsellors are generally available for more personal problems.
As for teachers demanding that students put their work first... this is quite right. It is a teacher's job to teach and encourage. It is also their job to dicipline when workloads are not met. It is not a teacher's job to baby the students and cosset them, they have parents for that.

RedCat
pkonline
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Schools have a responsibilty to teach, and not only to pass exams. If you think the amount of time a kid spends at school, schools definately shape a kid's character, so it's really important that they're taught other things that'll help them in later life.
fifi53
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
but sometimes that "toughening up" and training for exams is axactly what sends the kids crazy in the first place. good schools have the back-up in pastoral care to sort out the messes they helped create.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I never realised how well my teachers knew me until a few weeks ago one of them said "You feeling a little better now?" I have to say it was quite touching.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Normanlly the "messed" up school children in private schools are "messed" up because they put no effort in their work in the first place.

And not because of tough arm tactics.
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
I never realised how well my teachers knew me until a few weeks ago one of them said "You feeling a little better now?" I have to say it was quite touching.
I have that too, it's kind of scary...
fifi53
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Normanlly the "messed" up school children in private schools are "messed" up because they put no effort in their work in the first place.

And not because of tough arm tactics.
i was a messed up private school kid. i worked damn hard through my gcses and got all 11 a*s, got 2 scholarships to stay at school and worked myself into the ground by the end of AS. when you have the pressure of money that your parents have saved up and invested in you for years, you cant just drop out, or go down a year, which i wouldve done if id been at college. i like the fact that my grades (had a bothered checking them) should be visible on the national league tables though. ie. pass rate 99% in a class of 100.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (34)
13.82%
Virtual campus tours/open days (53)
21.54%
Live streaming events (24)
9.76%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (24)
9.76%
A uni comparison tool (58)
23.58%
An in-person event when available (53)
21.54%