How Do You Create An A* Gcse Art Sketchbook (aqaexamboard)

Watch
natali1234
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hello =]

i feel my coursework part i have handed in already (4 projects worth 60% altogther)was at a B grade. As i liked 2 of the projects
and hated the other 2

so i need to create an GREAT gcse art exam project sketch book (worth 40%) to boost my grade up to an A :yes:

any ideas on how to make an A* project? :woo:

thank you x
Advertisement
Jimlon0
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just do LOTS of different colour schemes and sketches. Then show that you are developing them.
*Star*Guitar*
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
aqa are dead easy to satisfy their mark scheme. I took it at A-level and got nearly full marks, and had about three completed pieces in my sketchbook. I also got full marks in the GCSE Exam. Have a look at a mark scheme if you can; look at lots of artists then be influenced by those who give you ideas. Show development.
Advertisement
screenager2004
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got an A at GCSE and A level with AQA, I will tell you the secret!

Consult your teachers lots and ask them where you can boost your grades, they're there to be asked and they'll like your commitment!

Remember to cover the four areas where they mark you!

AO1:Observations, recording, experiences, ideas, information, insights, take notes, take life sketches, take samples. record information down.

AO2: Analyse and evaluate, criticise and explore meanings, contexts and understanding.

AO3: develop your work, show growth, investigate and explore tangents, find relationships between different works, artists, themes and ideas

AO4: respond to work, realise intentions and articulate a coherent narrative through your studies, connect work to others.

Remember to visit galleries IN YOUR OWN TIME (and bring home sketches and leaflets to prove you went and what you discovered there!), research artists and artistic movements and describe how they relate (or differ) to your work, explore new mediums (dont just paint, also dip into pastelles, printing, sculpture, installation work etc.) and put yourself out of your comfort zone: work on BIIGGG canvases, devote care and attention, express yourself. Become fluent in your output!
dance-to-the-music
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My teacher originally marked my GCSE Art sketchpads as B/A, and when the moderator visited the school they got marked up to A*!

Make sure you do LOTS and lots of development of ideas, as screenager2004 says, make sure you satisfy all the assessment objectives and go out of your comfort zone.

experiment with lots of different materials, instead of sticking to paints and pencils, try out different techniques, like printing or textile work. making fabric samples is also a good idea, even if its just to show different colour schemes. i hand-dyed a batch of fabric using different patterns for my north american indian sketchpad, and even though they weren't actually used in my final piece, they showed i was thinking about lots of different ideas.

do plenty of research, visiting just one gallery really helps a lot because it shows you're thinking 'out the box'. i found writing a page or two on an artist/style with lots of supporting material is favoured by examiners.

also, record everything that you think of doing to your final piece, even if you didn't end up doing it. development really is the key.
Advertisement
DonBorat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dance-to-the-music)
My teacher originally marked my GCSE Art sketchpads as B/A, and when the moderator visited the school they got marked up to A*!

Make sure you do LOTS and lots of development of ideas, as screenager2004 says, make sure you satisfy all the assessment objectives and go out of your comfort zone.

experiment with lots of different materials, instead of sticking to paints and pencils, try out different techniques, like printing or textile work. making fabric samples is also a good idea, even if its just to show different colour schemes. i hand-dyed a batch of fabric using different patterns for my north american indian sketchpad, and even though they weren't actually used in my final piece, they showed i was thinking about lots of different ideas.

do plenty of research, visiting just one gallery really helps a lot because it shows you're thinking 'out the box'. i found writing a page or two on an artist/style with lots of supporting material is favoured by examiners.

also, record everything that you think of doing to your final piece, even if you didn't end up doing it. development really is the key.
hry what do you mean by developping? we jsut started a topic called signs and symbols, so far ive done artist reasearch, analsysis on his work then a study of it. followed by two more artists, one which i done two studies form and 2 versions of his work with my ideas inside.

what shall i do more? biro / pencil primar source and observation but what else, how can i develop that?

thanks
chloe95
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think im doing the same board as you (aqa art &design) i've chosen contrasts our teacher is awful! but i've researched quite alot, don't copy other artists make sure you do your own thing just make references to them! Use their styles and techniques but to develop it you've got to make it your own! Although they like drawing, painting etc. make sure you have lots of writing to back yourself up, make sure the examiner understands how you've developed your ideas, show them your thought processes (basically put down all your thoughts on paper! Its alot of work!)
Advertisement
art freak
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I talk about the artists style and whether I can incorporate that into my final piece but I have no idea how to develop it any ideas???
tyrar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Try making it individual and showing consistency throughout your project. Experiment with different media and remember to write about what you like and dislike about each experiment. Also sketch thumbnails to get ideas for composition and layout
Advertisement
ScarlettAEX
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi I'm doing my aqa art and I'm getting an A* I find it best to think exaggeratedly, do different things than your class, experiment, enjoy your work because if you don't you will make mistakes and also present your sketchbook very neatly and creatively don't miss spell words or scribble because it is my pet hate, if I dislike something I have to re-do it again but not by discarding the other
mahnoorsaghir123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I will be honest with you enjoy the most you can because art is subject which is to be done when you are calm and relaxed. What are teacher told us was fulfill all the assessment objectives as you can. You should not spend working on the background instead work on the artists and the work. Practice as much as you can. Good Luck for your Gcses.

Work hard and you will succeed. Hardwork is the key to success.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (138)
30.26%
No (318)
69.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed