Watch
This discussion is closed.
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hi everyone,

I am having trouble making my mind up on some of my university courses. I am going to be doing Human Biology (or other related course (anatomy, physiology etc) but was hoping for some advice from anyone currently on this type of course as to what univeristy they are at and what they think of the course.

It is to be a human bio related course as I intend to apply to medical school as a graduate.

All comments / help greatly appreciated!
nikk
Rep:
?
(Original post by NikNak)
Hi everyone,

I am having trouble making my mind up on some of my university courses. I am going to be doing Human Biology (or other related course (anatomy, physiology etc) but was hoping for some advice from anyone currently on this type of course as to what univeristy they are at and what they think of the course.

It is to be a human bio related course as I intend to apply to medical school as a graduate.

All comments / help greatly appreciated!
can anyone help please?
Lucy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hey,

I did a bit of a search (because I'm not exactly the best person to ask but I am going for undergraduate medicine ) and I've copied and pasted this from the Oxford site:

Qualifying degrees
Acceptable first degree subjects include in the following, but if you are in doubt about your own qualification, please ask: Anatomy; Anatomy with Physiology; Biochemistry; Biochemistry and Molecular Biology; Biomedical Science; Biology; Botany; Chemistry*; Chemical Engineering*; Dentistry; Human Biology; Human Genetics; Human Sciences; Immunology; Marine Biology; Medical Sciences; Microbiology; Neuroscience; Neuroscience with Psychology; Pathology; Pharmacology; Physiology; Physiology with Philosophy; Physiology with Psychology; Plant Sciences; Psychology; Veterinary Pathogenesis; Veterinary Science; Virology; Zoology.
* Graduates in chemistry and related subjects must also have biology or dual-award science at GCSE or O-level, or an equivalent qualification.
(This list of degrees is an updated version of that on page 19 of the printed prospectus.)

Even if you don't want to apply there I was sort of thinking 'If it's good enough for them, it should be good enough for other unis.' Anyway, hope this is reasonably helpful Good luck with it all, having talked to you before (in chat) you seem pretty determined which is great
nikk
Rep:
?
Hey Lucy!

Thanks a lot for that, I appreciate your time!

I am quite suprised at some of those qualifying degrees - marine biology / plant sciences / zoology - I thought you had to have a degree specifically human related.

Yeah I am definately determined - as soon as I set my mind on something I don't give up - this has not always been a good thing lol

How's your application going? Which med school is your preference?
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think it would be better (plus more interesting and relevant!) to choose something human related although I did read on the UCL site that any degree would be ok as long as applicants 'show a high proficiency in Chemistry and Biology'. I guess the good thing about you doing a different degree before going for a medical degree is that it still keeps your options open As for my preferable medical school - to be honest, all of this waiting is hell so I would love to go anywhere as so far I have heard zilch I know for medicine it is 'normal' to wait till about March before getting worried but this whole lack of response (not even receiving confirmation) has made me realise how I desperately want to go to any of my choices!

So, any ideas on what degree you would like to go for or where?
nikk
Rep:
?
Hi again,

Soz for the delay in response!

I think that Human Bioscience at Plymouth is going to be my first choice because I have seen quite a lot of the uni (alot of my friends go there) and so know I like it there. The only thing slightly worrying is that fact that you have to do an usually high number of modules each year there and so would be harder to get a first there then it would elsewhere. They will probably still be my first choice though.

I may apply to a few anatomy courses as well - which reminds me I WILL send off my ucas form today lol Gotta make my mind up within the next few hours lol

I'm not sure if you are aware of this but http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk has an excellant forum that is really supportive - you find it helpful to go there as everyone is worrying whether they are going to get in! I have faith in you though!

You'll have to keep me updated on how you get on - my hotmail address is [email protected]

Cheers,
Nicky.
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
this may be a bit late now but you can go onto medicine from my degree, just a bog standard biological sciences degree... warwick and leicester unis have a joint medical centre just opened last year here at warwick, it's all shiny and new and very pretty. i'm in a strange mood sorry, overwork, which also explains the lack of capitals in this message
nikk
Rep:
?
(Original post by picju96)
this may be a bit late now but you can go onto medicine from my degree, just a bog standard biological sciences degree... warwick and leicester unis have a joint medical centre just opened last year here at warwick, it's all shiny and new and very pretty. i'm in a strange mood sorry, overwork, which also explains the lack of capitals in this message
Hmm...I orginally thought that you have to have a human related degree but from what Lucy found on the Oxford site im not too sure. Im sure if they accept marine biology then they would accept normal biology.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (231)
51.22%
No (220)
48.78%

Watched Threads