Should the unemployed be made to work for the dole?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Alexander
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
What do you think?
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
What do you think?
Are you including people who shouldn't be working for a good reason? (illness, disability etc)
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What do you think?
Funnily enough, I'm partaking in a debating competition this December, with that very same motion.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What do you think?
you mean reduce the welfare state?
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What do you think?
DAM RIGHT THEY SHOULD!
Obviously apart from those with good reasons as NikNak said.
Virus Hacker
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
What do you think?
Er, you are forgetting something here. They can't work because they can't find a job. That is what unemployment is. If they were working for their dole then they wouldn't be unemployed.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Virus Hacker)
Er, you are forgetting something here. They can't work because they can't find a job. That is what unemployment is. If they were working for their dole then they wouldn't be unemployed.
You are having a laugh aint you?
If there were no jobs, the people working in job centres and recruitment agencies would be out of a job. HOW IRONIC.
Petrozzi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What do you think?
In my area there's a very large amount of drug abusers around the streets that are feeding their habits off dole money and living in hostels. I for one would like to see these people digging their own graves with their bare hands as they're the perpetrators of several cases of sexual abuse/muggings/theft in the area. Working, and having to actually be work fit along with other measures would probably sort these wastrels out or at least put them on the road to recovery.

Now, at the other side of the spectrum there's the decent law abiding citizen that is genuinely having problems finding work due to illness/disability/qualification problems and other difficulties that I believe should be cut a little slack. I'm to believe they're assigned a helper that tries to find them work, under a time period. If somehow the government could offer these people legitimate work on a contractual basis then so be it!
Virus Hacker
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
You are having a laugh aint you?
If there were no jobs, the people working in job centres and recruitment agencies would be out of a job. HOW IRONIC.
No the reason they are on the dole is because they can't find a job. If they could work then they would. So saying they should work for their dole money is stupid because there isn't enough jobs that is the whole point.
Alexander
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
But wouldn't it help most people with disabilities too if they did do some kind of work, within of course the limits of what they could do with their disability? Someone with a physical disability would probably be able to do some desk work, and someone with a mental disability might be able to do some kind of simple manual work.

Trying to put myself into a disabled person's shoes, I think would like to work as far as I could, rather than receiving benefits for doing nothing.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
No the reason they are on the dole is because they can't find a job. If they could work then they would. So saying they should work for their dole money is stupid because there isn't enough jobs that is the whole point.
No no no, maybe in 23% of cases but in most cases people are spongeing off the state, theres one thing for sure, wen i finally start to pay my 40% tax the last people i want it to goto is the layabouts, and i'm not talking about the government.
Virus Hacker
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
No no no, maybe in 23% of cases but in most cases people are spongeing off the state, theres one thing for sure, wen i finally start to pay my 40% tax the last people i want it to goto is the layabouts, and i'm not talking about the government.
Not everyone has the opportunity in life to study medicine and get a well-paid job like you. So you should pay more then 40% tax in my opinion. I reckon anyone that earns over 25K per annum should be hit hard in the pocket by the government for tax. You will be getting around 50k a year as a qualified doctor so I reckon you should be paying 60% at least!
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Not everyone has the opportunity in life to study medicine and get a well-paid job like you. So you should pay more then 40% tax in my opinion. I reckon anyone that earns over 25K per annum should be hit hard in the pocket by the government for tax. You will be getting around 50k a year as a qualified doctor so I reckon you should be paying 60% at least!
the economic feasability of such a proposal in the forecasted european climate is very limited.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I must say 50K is a bit of an underestimate for a when im fully qualified, however 60% WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON?
Virus Hacker
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
the economic feasability of such a proposal in the forecasted european climate is very limited.
Why?
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
I must say 50K is a bit of an underestimate for a when im fully qualified, however 60% WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON?
He has obviously never had to work for a living.......mumsy probably takes care of that for him
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Who are you talking about here? Not me i hope?
Virus Hacker
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Well how much is the going rate for a qualified doctor? So it should be 60%, why should you get so much money when millions live in poverty. Just because you have had better opportunities than others and were probably born with a golden spoon in your mouth. Upper middle class right?
Virus Hacker
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
He has obviously never had to work for a living.......mumsy probably takes care of that for him
You're probably right if your talking about medical boy. But if you are talking about me then no I have had a part-time job since I was 16. I never ask for anything.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well how much is the going rate for a qualified doctor? So it should be 60%, why should you get so much money when millions live in poverty. Just because you have had better opportunities than others and were probably born with a golden spoon in your mouth. Upper middle class right?
Could you be more wrong?
Anyway as a qualified consultant i can expect to earn £70000 + £70000 again for private work depending on speciality. And Doctors are by no means underpaid, nurses should receive much more than they presently do but Doctors save lives and there is a price to be paid. Im actually from a single parent family with a yearly income of less than £10000 per year. so when i do eventually qualify i will owe the government £30000 or more, whyt should i have to pay that back for a start?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (527)
51.31%
No (500)
48.69%

Watched Threads