The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Virus Hacker
Why?

such a high-tax rate on a large percentage of the population would mean public expenditure would fall. this would stall the growth of the economy. the government would be forced to pay out more and more in benefit due to the additional ageing population and stalling growth, possibly a recession, meaning they would quickly risk deflation. lowering interests rates would mean, paradoxically, less income and defecit would insue. a decent fiscal policy and tight spending would make it workable, but with such high tax rates the public would expect great public services and quickly grow restless. were Britain to be in the Euro at this point it would be fined for breaking the GSP by a pleased France and Germany and the economy would collapse because Brussels would take 6months to take action, and even then they would act against the British because the Polish economy, aiding a beleaguered Germany, is profiting.
vienna95
such a high-tax rate on a large percentage of the population would mean public expenditure would fall. this would stall the growth of the economy. the government would be forced to pay out more and more in benefit due to the additional ageing population and stalling growth, possibly a recession, meaning they would quickly risk deflation. lowering interests rates would mean, paradoxically, less income and defecit would insue. a decent fiscal policy and tight spending would make it workable, but with such high tax rates the public would expect great public services and quickly grow restless. were Britain to be in the Euro at this point it would be fined for breaking the GSP by a pleased France and Germany and the economy would collapse because Brussels would take 6months to take action, and even then they would act against the British because the Polish economy, aiding a beleaguered Germany, is profiting.

Crikey didn't expect that response! :eek: Interesting.
Reply 22
Virus Hacker
Not everyone has the opportunity in life to study medicine and get a well-paid job like you. So you should pay more then 40% tax in my opinion. I reckon anyone that earns over 25K per annum should be hit hard in the pocket by the government for tax. You will be getting around 50k a year as a qualified doctor so I reckon you should be paying 60% at least!

That would just create something known as a 'brain drain', whereby all of the intelligent and successful people go to another country where the taxes aren't so stupidly extortionate.

Think about it, 60% tax on £50,000 leaves you with £20,000. You are therefore most likely going to be better off earning just under your £25,000 limit, as you'd probably end up with more overall! That makes no sense.

These are just some of the problems inherent in overtaxing high-earners.
Reply 23
Virus Hacker

Dont you have a comeback for my last post?
Reply 24
Virus Hacker

it is speculation, but dont assume that changes in fiscal policy give straightforward outcomes. many people, for instance, on this forum, believe that a tory reduction in tax can only be bad...
Daveo
Could you be more wrong?
Anyway as a qualified consultant i can expect to earn £70000 + £70000 again for private work depending on speciality. And Doctors are by no means underpaid, nurses should receive much more than they presently do but Doctors save lives and there is a price to be paid. Im actually from a single parent family with a yearly income of less than £10000 per year. so when i do eventually qualify i will owe the government £30000 or more, whyt should i have to pay that back for a start?

Fair enough. But you should have to pay that back for a start because you are going to be earning a huge salary with your investment for the rest of your life, so thats why.
Reply 26
Virus Hacker
Fair enough. But you should have to pay that back for a start because you are going to be earning a huge salary with your investment for the rest of your life, so thats why.

But I am going to be giving the government a service they couldn't live without! Why shouldnt i just leave - goto the USA and tell the government to stick the loan!
Reply 27
rahaydenuk
That would just create something known as a 'brain drain', whereby all of the intelligent and successful people go to another country where the taxes aren't so stupidly extortionate.

Think about it, 60% tax on £50,000 leaves you with £20,000. You are therefore most likely going to be better off earning just under your £25,000 limit, as you'd probably end up with more overall! That makes no sense.

These are just some of the problems inherent in overtaxing high-earners.

Are you an idiot?

A 60% tax rate wouldnt 'leave you with 20,000'. A 60% tax rate at 50k would mean that every pound OVER 50k you earnt, 60p would be taken in tax.

Are you really a student?
:P:P:P:P:P
Are you an idiot?

A 60% tax rate wouldnt 'leave you with 20,000'. A 60% tax rate at 50k would mean that every pound OVER 50k you earnt, 60p would be taken in tax.

Well to be honest I didn't know that either. I knew it was something like that but not everything over 50K.
Reply 29
vienna95
it is speculation, but dont assume that changes in fiscal policy give straightforward outcomes. many people, for instance, on this forum, believe that a tory reduction in tax can only be bad...

I kind of agree that if taxes are too high, the economy will stall, however there needs to be a certain amount of tax in order for a decent amount of public spending. I believe that the current, labour methods, are fulfilling this compromise well. A Tory govt. would leave thousands (if not millions) in poverty.
Reply 30
I kind of agree that if taxes are too high, the economy will stall, however there needs to be a certain amount of tax in order for a decent amount of public spending. I believe that the current, labour methods, are fulfilling this compromise well. A Tory govt. would leave thousands (if not millions) in poverty.

how?
this government has blown vast proportions of public money, so i think talk of Labour spending as 'fulfilling this compromise well' is well, wrong.
Reply 31

I agree! However its time we had a change in Labour leadership. There always must be taxes to pay for services.
Daveo
But I am going to be giving the government a service they couldn't live without! Why shouldnt i just leave - goto the USA and tell the government to stick the loan!

Well come on it's not like you're going to have any trouble paying it back. If the government waived all tuition fees then it simply wouldn't be sustainable. I think the system in place at the moment is acceptable, if you don't find a job that pays over 12k per year or something you don't pay any of the loan back until you do. I think its quite fair actually.

If you are really upset about your loan why not drop out and get a job that pays £5 an hour for the reat of your life? No? Though not.
vienna95

What do the tories want to do? Just reduce tax for high-earners or for everyone?
Reply 34
Are you an idiot?

True.
Reply 35
Daveo
Dont you have a comeback for my last post?

You're actually studying medicine at Manchester?
Reply 36
Virus Hacker
Well come on it's not like you're going to have any trouble paying it back. If the government waived all tuition fees then it simply wouldn't be sustainable. I think the system in place at the moment is acceptable, if you don't find a job that pays over 12k per year or something you don't pay any of the loan back until you do. I think its quite fair actually.

If you are really upset about your loan why not drop out and get a job that pays £5 an hour for the reat of your life? No? Though not.

Because i actually want to offer my intelligence to help peoples lives. And the current system is pants!!!!!!!
Medic - Graduates with £30000 dept - Doctor - service to society
Media Studies Graduate - Graduates with £18000 debts - ?????????/ What do they offer society?
Reply 37
Bigcnee
You're actually studying medicine at Manchester?

YES Y?
Reply 38
Daveo
YES Y?

I have a friend that's studying for medicine (2nd year) and is finding it really tough.
Reply 39
Bigcnee
I have a friend that's studying for medicine (2nd year) and is finding it really tough.

Well done on your 1000 posts Bigcnee!

Latest

Trending

Trending