Turn on thread page Beta

Hi,

I have problems to understand the meaning of 'roll forward' in the following sentence.

... bend your knees and smoothly roll forward from the hips.

Can anyone explain it, please?

Thanks!

Diego Alonso

Diego Alonso wrote:
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Hi,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I have problems to understand the meaning of 'roll forward' in the following sentence.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> ... bend your knees and smoothly roll forward from the hips.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Can anyone explain it, please?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    I presume it means making a rolling motion of some sort, but you'll have to provide a bit more
    context so that we can work out exactly what kind of rolling motion is involved.

Regards, Einde O'Callaghan

Thank you, Einde, for your answer.

That extract is taken from a book, and it is talking about breathing exercises, so I assume that the
    movements will be slow and not vigorous.

Here you have the whole sentence:

"Standing with feet about shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent, extend both arms up over
    your head as you slowly inhale a full, natural breath. As you begin an easy, steady exhalation, bend
    your knees and smoothly roll forward from the hips and bring your arms and entire upper body into a
    relaxed position with head and arms pointing down, keeping the knees bent"

It looks to me that it means to bend forward the trunk, but the expression 'roll forward from the
    hips' confuses me.

Regards Diego Alonso

Einde O'Callaghan wrote:
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Diego Alonso wrote:[/q1]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > Hi,[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > I have problems to understand the meaning of 'roll forward' in the following sentence.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > ... bend your knees and smoothly roll forward from the hips.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > Can anyone explain it, please?[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q1]> I presume it means making a rolling motion of some sort, but you'll have to provide a bit more[/q1]
    [q1]> context so that we can work out exactly what kind of rolling motion is involved.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Regards, Einde O'Callaghan[/q1]

Diego Alonso wrote:
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Thank you, Einde, for your answer.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> That extract is taken from a book, and it is talking about breathing exercises, so I assume that[/q1]
    [q1]> the movements will be slow and not vigorous.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Here you have the whole sentence:[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> "Standing with feet about shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent, extend both arms up over[/q1]
    [q1]> your head as you slowly inhale a full, natural breath. As you begin an easy, steady exhalation,[/q1]
    [q1]> bend your knees and smoothly roll forward from the hips and bring your arms and entire upper body[/q1]
    [q1]> into a relaxed position with head and arms pointing down, keeping the knees bent"[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> It looks to me that it means to bend forward the trunk, but the expression 'roll forward from the[/q1]
    [q1]> hips' confuses me.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    I understand it to mean: "Make a smooth - not jerky - rolling motion swivelling from your hips."

Regards, Einde O'Callaghan

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.