The Student Room Group

Science careers I cant decide

Hi,
Im really struggling to find something I want to do in the future, I am an A-Level student taking chemistry, biology, physics (AS), maths and further maths (AS). Im predicted all A's. So clearly I would like to do something science related.

I dont want to be a doctor (cant stand being around sick people, sorry)
I dont want to be an engineer (never really enjoyed physics hence the AS)
I was considering being a vet but cant bear putting an animal down.

I dont want to be in those lab based jobs all year, working with test tubes all day I think this is the kind of perception many people have and I sort of agree with it. So dont think research is for me.

If its possible I would like something science related, something I can go around the world, help people, see the nature, help the world. This all sounds very cheesy I know. Any suggestions thank you for reading this

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
environmental scientist? if working for an international organisation, would prob mean plenty of travel. plus lets be honest, there will be more and more demand over the next few decades...
Reply 2
You could do chemistry or maths and work in finance.
Marine Biologist. Dentist. Chenical engineer.
Geology/Geoscience/Geophysics/Earth Science are your answers! :-D
Reply 5
Yeah, best you do environmental science.
Reply 6
Pharma industry
Patent attorney (loaded!)
Pharmacy?
Science writer/journalist
Health protection agency
be an ecologist
Reply 8
teacher

you can teach overseas and see the world in international schools?
Reply 9
biomedical scientist

i think jobs include like... when u go for a blood test or a biopsy at the doctors they send the samples to biomedical scientists and they do various tests and stuff to send back. You can diagnose cancer and stuff :s-smilie:
Reply 10
vinsta
You could do chemistry and work in finance.

Only accountancy.
dentistry :biggrin: i didnt see that in your list of things you didnt want to do. it looks a great job and you need to be good at science like you are. i was actually considering vet med but couldnt do it cause i love animals and couldnt put them down or see them suffer but i'm really glad i chose dentistry :smile:
Reply 12
I chose biomedical science because like you I cant bear to be around sick people so wouldn't make a very good doctor!
What you should be aware of though is that any science degree will be mainly lab based (or at least the good ones are) I personally wouldn't want to just learn out of a book at any rate.
In the long run if I don't get on with a lab based vocation I was looking into patent law as this is a year long conversion course and as lecturer at one of my uni interviews said - its easier to teach law to a scientist in a year, than science to a lawyer.
From what I've heard patent law is pretty well paid too.
Reply 13
Quady
Only accountancy.

No. Finance.
Reply 14
vinsta
No. Finance.

You don't appear to have started university. You don't appear to be going into chemistry.

As a chemistry graduate I'm pretty sure 90%+ of chemistry graduates who go into finance (a small % of chemistry grads) go into accountancy.
Soloman
Hi,
Im really struggling to find something I want to do in the future, I am an A-Level student taking chemistry, biology, physics (AS), maths and further maths (AS). Im predicted all A's. So clearly I would like to do something science related.

I dont want to be a doctor (cant stand being around sick people, sorry)
I dont want to be an engineer (never really enjoyed physics hence the AS)
I was considering being a vet but cant bear putting an animal down.

I dont want to be in those lab based jobs all year, working with test tubes all day I think this is the kind of perception many people have and I sort of agree with it. So dont think research is for me.

If its possible I would like something science related, something I can go around the world, help people, see the nature, help the world. This all sounds very cheesy I know. Any suggestions thank you for reading this

Cheese-making?
Your grades sound very good, so Dentistry may be a good idea.
Geneticist :borat:
Reply 18
Don't want to be a doctor or a vet. Want more money, shorter hours?....

Become a dentist!
The most sick patient you can get is someone with a toothache. And the worst and only thing you have to touch is teeth. which aren't so bad after you've given them mouthwash (and you get to wear rubber gloves.
Seriously being a dentist is right up your alley.
Reply 19
Quady
You don't appear to have started university. You don't appear to be going into chemistry.

As a chemistry graduate I'm pretty sure 90%+ of chemistry graduates who go into finance (a small % of chemistry grads) go into accountancy.

My father has a Ph.D in chemistry and most of his friends went to work in the City, or insurance firms.

Latest

Trending

Trending