The Student Room Group

Referencing

hello,
Probably in the wrong forum but I can not find it and the search facility is not working.
How do you reference your Appendix? I am writing an essay on drugs and have included in the appendix info about the effects of heroin and also about the effects of HepB, hepC and HIV. It is for a sociology essay and the markers will have knowledge in the subject. I am not sure it is needed, but I though it looked good as they might not know much about B/C etc and it saves me having to waste words explaining it.
Anyway, I have copied it all from the NHS/Talk to Frank website. Do I need to say "all taken from NHS/Frank website"? I just do not want to get done for plagiarism and although I have copied it word for word I am not passing it of as my own work.
Cheers.
Say that it's sourced from NHS/Frank at the end or beginning if you must. But regardless of the plagarism they will look poorly on you for not integrating the relevant points into the essay itself.
Reply 2
rebeccaa
Anyway, I have copied it all from the NHS/Talk to Frank website. Do I need to say "all taken from NHS/Frank website"? I just do not want to get done for plagiarism and although I have copied it word for word I am not passing it of as my own work.
Cheers.

Google Harvard Referencing System, if you're at uni then this is a commonly accepted system for referencing.

Also, if you've copied stuff word for word and you've put it i quotation marks, you'll be fine... if you've just lifted it straight off the website and dunked it into a paragraph of your essay, that's plagarism :woo: and you will get done for it. Rewrite it into your own words!!
Reply 3
confusedliberal
Say that it's sourced from NHS/Frank at the end or beginning if you must. But regardless of the plagarism they will look poorly on you for not integrating the relevant points into the essay itself.

I do not see the point of wasting time words explaining what Hep B is??? It is final year work for a sociology degree.
I am not sure if I need to put the appendix in.... it is explaining hepb, hepc, effects of heroin etc. Just thought maybe it is a good idea to put it in.
if you put it in an appendix and then at some point say refer to appendix for more information then i can understand your point of putting it in, if its just going to be in the appendix without any mention in your essay there is no point with it. if at the bottom you put sourced from the nhs and frank website and then in your reference list your'll need to put date accessed, website address, and if you know the author of the information that as wel
Reply 5
Yeah thats what I did. The essay is about blood-borne viruses and harm reduction polices and drug users, so the heroin/virus info is somewhat useful if the reader knew nothing about the effects of hiv... although very unlikely i thought would be best to say it.

Also throughout the essay I have used needle exchange but needle exchanges do not just give needles, they give other drug related items, shall i write that as a footnote?
Reply 6
rebeccaa
Also throughout the essay I have used needle exchange but needle exchanges do not just give needles, they give other drug related items, shall i write that as a footnote?

I wouldn't mix up harvard and appendices with footnotes, they're to seperate systems, stick to one or the other. To add this kind of information, write another paragraph or so and then stick that in appendix.

Latest

Trending

Trending