The Student Room Group

Law League Tables and University Comparisons

Scroll to see replies

ForeverDecember
York doesn't do Law...hence it's absence...

I suppose Newcastle would fit in there though, I know a few very good students who have chosen Newcastle over the likes of Leicester and Exeter (not saying that's it better, they pick it because it's local, but I could see it as on an even par with them)
I'm suprised by the inclusion of Southampton more than by any exclusions. I had no idea it was that respected...

Whoops :p: :redface: I'm not too up on northern universities...

Well Southampton has a good overall reputation and, judging by responses from local firms (ranging from small ones where I work up to the large city ones like Blake Lapthorn & Warner, Goodman & Streat) definitely in the Solent area (portsmouth-southamtpon) at least, they are particularly interested in Southampton uni law graduates.

Still, I suppose this doesn't mean that it's that well-respected nationally.
Reply 21
Quick question where would you place Queen Mary's and Kent in ur considerations?
Reply 22
chandni
Quick question where would you place Queen Mary's and Kent in ur considerations?

I would place QM hihger - and I wouldnt rule it out as a stepping stone to a MC firm ... it just makes it harder ... but by no means impossible ... no means at all ... but I would imagine a 1st would be pretty much a prerequsite...
Reply 23
M@255
Lawz-, seen as you seem to know loads, what about Liverpool (as in redbrick Liverpool)? DON'T be too harsh I'm going there. Is it not very promising for a law career?

I Think that puts it too harshly - I think Liverpool is a very solid uni - and there are numerous people in the city who went there... I think that if you work hard enough you will have great prospects..

I just think the above unis have a slight edge... but agai - this is all subjective... I wouldnt worry about it too much ... simply work really really hard (Which you were going to do anywhere)...
M@255
Lawz-, seen as you seem to know loads, what about Liverpool (as in redbrick Liverpool)? DON'T be too harsh I'm going there. Is it not very promising for a law career?

Looking through the Bar Directory today (during my lunch break, honest! :redface: ) I saw quite a lot of barristers from liverpool, if that makes you feel better. :smile:
Reply 25
Lawz-
I would place QM hihger - and I wouldnt rule it out as a stepping stone to a MC firm ... it just makes it harder ... but by no means impossible ... no means at all ... but I would imagine a 1st would be pretty much a prerequsite...

That's calmed me down a tiny bit as after reading all the previous posts it made me feel like I had no chance!!!
Reply 26
Lawz Where would u put Sheffield??
Onearmedbandit
Looking through the Bar Directory today (during my lunch break, honest! :redface: ) I saw quite a lot of barristers from liverpool, if that makes you feel better. :smile:

Yes, by no means does going to a university such as liverpool limit the extent to which you can achieve. It probably won't give you the initial advantage of other universities, but if you are genuinely good enough, you can still reach the top of the profession.

One of the barristers I met on work experience (Abbas Lakha QC), was the highest earning barrister last year (according to the evening standard on wednesday) - and you know where he graduated from? Leeds.
Reply 28
Lawz, I think i'll just jump on the band wagon and ask you about Nottingham Trent.

It's currently my insurance choice, however i feel that it is more than likely i'll be going there. I certainly have no ambitions to work in a Magic Circle firm, i would be very happy to work at a nice firm where there isn't as much pressure and i could enjoy the work and live "comfortably".

So i was wondering how Trent is viewed by employers?

Thanks mate, AJ
Aj2003
Lawz, I think i'll just jump on the band wagon and ask you about Nottingham Trent.

It's currently my insurance choice, however i feel that it is more than likely i'll be going there. I certainly have no ambitions to work in a Magic Circle firm, i would be very happy to work at a nice firm where there isn't as much pressure and i could enjoy the work and live "comfortably".

So i was wondering how Trent is viewed by employers?

Thanks mate, AJ

There's certainly plenty of pressure of the solicitors in the small firm I work in :eek:
Reply 30
chandni
That's calmed me down a tiny bit as after reading all the previous posts it made me feel like I had no chance!!!

Oh yeah, theres only that small thing to achieve before you leave Uni. I'm sure a 1st in Law will be really easy Chandni. :wink:

onearmedbandit
There's certainly plenty of pressure of the solicitors in the small firm I work in

Ok Mike, that would be my ideal scenario for the future! Knowing my luck though it will not be the case. :rolleyes:
Reply 31
The firms recruit quite well from Sheffield its not top of the pile but I don't think you have any less of a chance as you do from any other top 20-30 uni its pretty decent and well regarded by employers.
I've heard recruitment is quite good from Cardiff too.
And what about The Queen's University of Belfast...? Its ranked 8th for law in the UK... well above some of those mentioned. You would probably be surprised at how many firms approach the university or invite us over to their offices.
Reply 33
I was so bored that I went around the MC websites, n e one alse done that? i thought looking at which unis they have open days for was quite a good reflection...and the ones mentioned are pretty much it but having talked to a recruitment department person (at work experience) at AnO she did state no preference to the second tier unis,
Reply 34
I propose a race!

First person to secure a tenacy at an MC firm gets a prize!

Bonus points if your Uni isn't on *the* list!

On your marks, get set...
What's the prize?
Reply 36
Um.. A big kiss?
Reply 37
O n everyone saw the new rankings yeh? gogo KCL~ rank 6th for law and overall, it takes a while clicking next to find UCL its quicker to select it in the universities collum muhahahah
http://education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2005/table/0,15905,-5163903,00.html
Reply 38
acey10
O n everyone saw the new rankings yeh? gogo KCL~ rank 6th for law and overall, it takes a while clicking next to find UCL its quicker to select it in the universities collum muhahahah
http://education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2005/table/0,15905,-5163903,00.html

ROFL, prepare for mike and the UCL calvary!

btw, where are LSE on those tables. :biggrin: :vroam:
Dreama
Um.. A big kiss?

yea, but from whom?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending