Higher French 2009

Watch this thread
javjamoll
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Anyone else taking french this year?

I don't seem to find a current thread (minus the AH) ones...

I'm panicking a lot as I thought listening was my weakest section, but through my prelim it was both writing sections, I got 4 in both which was shocking :eek: as I knew the listening topic as the other class done that first while we got the reading... I thought I done really well overall in Paper 2, sadly I was wrong

How can you revise for the writing sections? I'm going to learn the common bullet point phrases like 'Je suis allé' etc and try, but it just doesn't stick! I spend way too much time in teh dictionary!!!

I also have the problem of switiching tenses, can someone please explain to me what is what (I know in theory what they mean, but when I put down the perfect for example, it was the imperfect? Or I switch between the present when it should be the perfect.... I just don't get it!) The most usual ones that happen are 'C'est' when it should be 'C'etait' or 'été/ était' I think :confused:

It doesn't help I nearly got thrown off the course after the prelim, but survived with one mark!!! ANd I actaully revised quite a bit for it

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: arghhhh
namedeprived
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 13 years ago
I'm doing it. Definitley my strongest subject, though I too find writing (particularly the short essay) the hardest.

C'est = present tense. ie Do not use in Directed Writing since it is almost exclusivley in the past tenses.
c'etait (with the acute on the e) = It was - imperfect tense, different to perfect tense as it is not used to describe something you done once. eg. C'etait tres amusant. Chaque jour je devais me lever a six heures, is also imperfect tense since it describes something you did regularly.

Perfect tense will be what you use most regularly. Use Je, tu il etc, plus your bit of avoir/etre, then the past participle (one of which is ete when you're wanting to use etre as your verb). This is where you use ete (with the two acutes) Nous avons ete epuise.

Hmnn I;ve probably overcomplicated that but remember that c'est means "It is" and is presnt tense and so should not be used in directed writing.

Also remember that when you are using the perfect you need a helping verb (bit of avoir/etre) and a past paticiple. Imperfect use simply put the Je, tu etc, take of the er/ir/re of the end of the verb and add the appropriate ending.

ais ais ait ions iez aient.

If you have any questions pm me, or someone who is better than me. Pardon the lack of accents.
javjamoll
Rep:
See, I know the main grammar formations etc. I just somehow flip between them sometimes and change tenses through the sentence or something!

Although I also have no clue when to use the conditional I know its something that may happen?

But thanks It helps having another description of these grammar rules!
CallumFR
Badges: 9
Report 13 years ago
I'm doing Higher this year. Did fine in the prelim, but starting to worry about the final exam.

Listening is nails, and I don't really think I've improved despite practise. Not really keen on Directed Writing. Discursive writing on the other hand is slightly better as I think you have more freedom

For the writing sections, our teacher has got our class to write various essays throughout the year. So I'm just gonna learn some good sentences from those. We also got a book of phrases for directed writing as well as a grammar book, so I'll work through those too.

Not long left now... can't wait
namedeprived
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by javjamoll)
See, I know the main grammar formations etc. I just somehow flip between them sometimes and change tenses through the sentence or something!

Although I also have no clue when to use the conditional I know its something that may happen?

But thanks It helps having another description of these grammar rules!
Conditional : I/you/he/she/we/they would something. eg J'aimerais un boisson.
Just use the full verb, then put on one of the endings which are handily the same as the imperfect.

ais,ais,ait,ions,iez,aient

So they would eat becomes ils mangeraient.

Yea flipping between tenses can be quite easy to do. Try to read back what you have written in English. If it doesn't sound right it probably isn't.
javjamoll
Rep:
THey would? I thought it was something that may happen..... oh god!

Would it just be best to avoid the conditional in teh DW!! lol I might find a token verb in every tense to use
Pedrobear
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Reading is easy, listening depends but is generally okay... personal response/directed writing is absolute hell. I'm basically going to memorise a vague essay and try to tailor it to fit whatever the question is. Failure is imminent!
#Limabean1
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
If you get a decent directed writing and listening response, you'll get a high B/low A, no bother.

I think I dropped one peg mark on the directed writing last year, which cost me an A.
javjamoll
Rep:
I'm more worried about the listening/writing than directed, at least you can revise for DW in some way as aslong as you don't miss 3 bullet points you will/should get some marks, compared to the Listening when its dependant on the listening topic! Last year was pocket money? and they didn't revise it as much as the others!
BarrySpazz
Report 13 years ago
Your best bet is to buy a guide, for example the Leckie and Leckie Higher French Notes. It covers all tenses and gives demonstrations on how to use them. Learn the tenses and you should be fine, and It's always good to have a couple of phrases which you can stick in anywhere eg. l'année dernière, j'ai eu la chance de passer ... jours à Paris en France... and nous étions dix-huit éleves et trois professeurs...
TimmyVermicelli
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
My biggest worries are the translation and the directed writing. Translation is alright in French, usually the syntax is somewhat similar to the direct English translation, but in German... well, I got 2/10 for the translation in my prelim.
DC92
Report 13 years ago
Reading and translation I'm happy enough with. I got 26/30 in the prelim and I reckon I could even do slightly better than that. I hate directed writing. And I can't be bothered learning the phrases for it and I always seem to spend too much time on it and make it too long. I got 9/15 for the prelim, which was pretty generous. Since then I've been stuck on 12/15, which I would be more than happy with.

Listening is okay, I got 14/20 in the prelim and I am aiming for similar this time, maybe a couple of marks higher. I don't mind the written response; it's better than the directed writing anyway. I surprisingly got 10/10 for the prelim but that is unlikely to be repeated. I've been stuck on 8/10 since then, which I'd be happy with.

I already have the cushion of 25/25 for the speaking, which is good.
rachaelpedreschi
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
If you're bad at Directed Writing, I have pretty good notes my teacher gave me, if anyone says they want them I'll post them up here
Even though you say the phrases don't stick, just write them out again and again... boring as anything but after a while you find you're just writing them and writing them well
Also, make a list of where you go wrong, ie feminine/masculine, spelling, accents... if you do normally get these wrong, try have 10 minutes at the end just to quickly look up EVERY word you're not 100% sure of... although this might only work for me, cause I write really fast and generally have ages at the end. And take it sentence by sentence... like in Directed Writing, say your first sentence is:
L'annee dernier, je suis alle a Paris.
What could be wrong? Accents, spelling, and making sure it's obvious if you're a boy or a girl Things you probably already know and could easily check through the dictionary/just remembering, and you could convert it to L'année dernière, je suis allé à Paris. I really hope that's right now
And I hope this post made sense ^_^
javjamoll
Rep:
Can you post your DW notes please, if it's not too much of a problem for you.

We done a Listening and Writing on Thursday, I haven't been in all week, first french class so I didn't know. And omg! I struggled!!! I only got 8/20 from listening! and on the writing I only managed to write 35words! I then got my teacher to help me write a plan etc, so need to do that!

Gah!!! At least I have just under 3 weeks! and a bigger gap between the exam before and French!
bex285
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
It's maybe a good idea to learn a good beginning that makes the marker instantly think you know your stuff; my teacher has always taught us to start with "J'avais toujours voulu aller en France, donc j'y suis allé (l'année dernière) pour (participer dans un échange)."
I did this until I felt comfortable enough to vary it, and now I usually start with "Depuis le commencement de mes études de la langue française il y a cinq années, j'avais eu envie d'aller en France pour pratiquer la langue donc, l'année dernière, j'y suis allée pendant deux semaines."
And I've never got less than 12.

Hope this helps worst comes to worst, just try and learn the difference between the tenses and you should be able to get through using your dictionary. I have a grammar table that really helps me, if you'd like I could type it up?
bex285
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by EmmaDilemma)
this would be extremely useful for me! Could you please?
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've not been on here in a few days.
I'm just about to type it up now, shouldn't be too long.
bex285
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
As promised! Hope it helps
Attached files
CallumFR
Badges: 9
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bex285)
As promised! Hope it helps
Thanks a lot for taking the time to type this up!!
bex285
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by EmmaDilemma)
merci beaucoup!!
De rien! :p:

(Original post by CallumFR)
Thanks a lot for taking the time to type this up!!
No bother, happy to help
javjamoll
Rep:
Hey!

A little help please, what is the difference between C'était and était? Mainly the 'ce' part..... SOme texts I read they have the c' in it and some don't.... what does it actually mean?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.5%
The paper was reasonable (68)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16.37%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed