Turn on thread page Beta

University Marking System - Is This True? watch

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine who is currently at University said that the marking system grade boundaries (Hons, 2:1 etc...) is based upon how well you do against others in your year over the duration of the course. This is opposed to a system where the boundaries are set i.e. the driving theory test where you need 30 or over to pass out of 35 (or you did when I took it).

Is this true and if so I can see logic in perhaps going to a slightly less acclaimed (but still credible) University as you would be up against people who supposably have less academic ability. This should theoretically get you a better chance of coming out with a good degree albeit from a slightly less acclaimed establishment.

I.E. I have chosen to study Law and if I studied at Hull or Lancaster (still credible red brick uni's) I should theoretially have a better chance of a good grade compared to say if I went to Leeds or Nottingham as the others on my course may not be the "academic elite" I would encounter at the latter Universities.

Is this so?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, classes are decided by percentages. At least that's what my supervisor told me. I think specific boundaries are adjusted yearly depending on how hard papers are, etc., but as I'm on a modular/ coursework course that doesn't really apply.

ReputationRep:
    Not at either of the unis I've been to. The grades are decided by percentages.

ReputationRep:
    These standardised grades things get me vexed, people should be shown boundaries to be able to aim for instead of this uncertainty. Plus it might disadvantage me <guitar string snaps>!
    Don't the grades go like this:
    First
    2:1
    2:2
    Third
    Ordinary
    Fail?

Sod me if I'm getting any lower than a 2:2 just because other people kicked my ass...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    These standardised grades things get me vexed, people should be shown boundaries to be able to aim for instead of this uncertainty. Plus it might disadvantage me <guitar string snaps>!
    Don't the grades go like this:
    First
    2:1
    2:2
    Third
    Ordinary
    Fail?

Sod me if I'm getting any lower than a 2:2 just because other people kicked my ass...
    but what i wanna know is what percentages on your exams you need to gt a first or 2.1

ReputationRep:
    Don't we all?

I find it mad that one year you can get 70% in an A-Level and get a "B" the next year you can get 72% and get a C because the overall standard was higher and thus they moved the boundaries.

The above figures are just examples, I have no knowledge as to actual approxamate boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    but what i wanna know is what percentages on your exams you need to gt a first or 2.1
    What I've heard from people who heard from other people who heard from (etc) unis is 70% for a First.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    What I've heard from people who heard from other people who heard from (etc) unis is 70% for a First.
    lol thanks

ReputationRep:
    It does vary slightly between unis but normally its
    75/70+ - First
    60+ - 2.1
    50+ - 2.2
    40/45+ - 3rd
    35+ pass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    75/70+ - First
    60+ - 2.1
    50+ - 2.2
    40/45+ - 3rd
    35+ pass
    A first will do for me !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    A first will do for me !!!
    You're jumping the gun a bit aren't you? Why don't you concentrate on GETTING into university before talking about getting a first...

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    75/70+ - First
    60+ - 2.1
    50+ - 2.2
    40/45+ - 3rd
    35+ pass
    I am gonna get a first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    You're jumping the gun a bit aren't you? Why don't you concentrate on GETTING into university before talking about getting a first...

Well got to be ambitious got one offer but your right concentrate at whats at the first hurdle not the last, got to get my a levels first, then a first lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    I am gonna get a first.
    How about striving for good A Level grades before you strive for a first???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:

Sorry if this is bothering you as your at uni and know how difficult a first is but thats all ways my view on things when i was at school i said i'll get AAA, its just me sorry if it upset you :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Wouldn't aiming for a First encompass good A-Levels?

I've lost the desire to get straight As, a First is a bonus to me...

ReputationRep:

Thats funny...when I was talking tnoight about what I *could* get at Uni a friend said exactly the same thing to me.

ReputationRep:
    Its a lot harder than you imagine. When I first went to uni I was sure I would get a first but it didnt happen, the way of studying is completely different its a bit of a shocker.
    For example for English you go from reading about 6 books a term to at least 3 books a week.

ReputationRep:
    Its a lot harder than you imagine. When I first went to uni I was sure I would get a first but it didnt happen, the way of studying is completely different its a bit of a shocker.
    For example for English you go from reading about 6 books a term to at least 3 books a week.
    That might be lucky for the English student, you might get to read a few gems. But I remember how much my mates in AS English last year complained about A Handmaid's Tale so it could be crap...

ReputationRep:
    Its like the jump from GCSE to A level, looking back at them they were easy but while your doing them there not , or may be they are hard fullstop.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.