Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I want to do Medicine at university and was wondering if the following subject combo would work at all:

A level:
    Chemistry
    Biology
    History
    General Studies (okay not a proper A level really)

AS:
    Physics

ReputationRep:
    Should be fine for most places. Oxbridge may want 3 sciences (but I know someone who's got in with 2½) but everywhere else should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds OK - have you thought of doing maths though?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    I would do maths if it is absolutley necessary to get into a good med school but otherwise no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJB)
    I would do maths if it is absolutley necessary to get into a good med school but otherwise no.
    They want either Physics or Maths. You have Physics. As far as I know that's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Your combination sounds fine . It's only Cambridge who really want all 3 sciences, everywhere else seem to be quite happy with a subject like History to broaden your subject range (in fact some unis see it as a positive thing, namely UCL and Oxford).

ReputationRep:
    you should look at general studies in better light, at the unis your aiming at they get tons of applicants with AAA and AAB for a levels. they filter people out if you did bad in general studies and the critical thinking courses. it sounds harsh but when they are so oversubscribed its the fairest way of doing it. however a lot of them are inventing there own little exam to spring on people that is multiple choice that narrows it all down (its like a general knoledge thing)

i wanna do medicine too, im gonna do

gen. studies
    human biology
    chemistry
    maths
    english literature/psychology

probably all 4 for the full 2 years

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, a good uni will want chemistry and pref bilogy, i think the rest is up to u

my mate took maths chem bio and english, dropped maths

hes got 2 offers already, and 2 to hear from

whereas me, i took maths chem bio and physics (keeping all 4 at A2)

1 offer and 2 rejections so far,

also depends on what uni u want to go to, but i guess the more variation you have the better, they want to see your not so much a techie, but more of a well rounded person academically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theycallmemrpig)
    to be honest, a good uni will want chemistry and pref bilogy, i think the rest is up to u

my mate took maths chem bio and english, dropped maths

hes got 2 offers already, and 2 to hear from

whereas me, i took maths chem bio and physics (keeping all 4 at A2)

1 offer and 2 rejections so far,

also depends on what uni u want to go to, but i guess the more variation you have the better, they want to see your not so much a techie, but more of a well rounded person academically.
    I think I will do what your first friend did then

maths, chemistry, human biology and english lit
    which shows that i do have some creative side, I might drop one after a year if i think the work loads too much and it will effect my exams

if i did what your first friend did i wouldnt have any options at university for anything other than techno jobs which are boring. i would wear myself out too which isnt a nice thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    It's only Cambridge who really want all 3 sciences.
    Could someone get in to Cambridge without 3 sciences?
    e.g. A2 Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further Maths, AS Latin
    How necessary is Physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    You can definitely get into Cambridge without the 3 sciences - out of the Cambridge medical applicants from my school (5 of them applied) the 3 who received offers didn't take Physics at AS or A2 standard (one took A2 English Lit and the other two took A2 French). I don't want to imply that you have better chance with or without the 3 sciences, you should study what you enjoy

However, I have a feeling that some colleges may still prefer the 3 sciences so I would e-mail any colleges of preference just to check before you apply.

ReputationRep:
    lol, now you got me thinking about physics

ReputationRep:
    cam want 3 sciences/maths at AS with at least 2 of those to full A level, though they also say that most will have all 3 to A level. They also say that Jesus, Christs, Newnham and Johns would prefer you having 3 sciences/maths to A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    cam don't want the sciences. They say the sciences and/or maths, which means they want three from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gui1ty)
    lol, now you got me thinking about physics
    Don't take Physics if you don't want to, English Lit makes a nice change anyway Plus studying English Lit could aid your application to other medical schools.

ReputationRep:
    its so hard i wish i could have done psychology for gcse. I think i will go to the meeting (which is tomorow) and ask for there adivce on it.
    hopefully they will be able to give me some advice, humanity like psychology or arty thing like literature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Don't take Physics if you don't want to, English Lit makes a nice change anyway Plus studying English Lit could aid your application to other medical schools.
    yeah, physics is lots of formulas... and the teacher who does it at the colne is such a jackass :P someone actuallky quit A2 physics just because of the teacher

ReputationRep:
    its so hard i wish i could have done psychology for gcse. I think i will go to the meeting (which is tomorow) and ask for there adivce on it.
    hopefully they will be able to give me some advice, humanity like psychology or arty thing like literature
    I definitely wouldn't take psychology. It is not as respected as other subjects like English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    I definitely wouldn't take psychology. It is not as respected as other subjects like English Lit.
    I guess so, but if i did english lit would i still be able to do psychology at uni? and like start from scratch. cause its somthing i have had in the back of my mind

ReputationRep:
    I guess so, but if i did english lit would i still be able to do psychology at uni? and like start from scratch. cause its somthing i have had in the back of my mind
    Definitely - I would think that biology is a more important subject for psychology as it's seen as a 'proper', more respected subject. Plenty of schools don't even offer psychology at AS/A2 standard yet they send off students to study psychology at uni. That should definitely not be a worry if you are taking biology

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 3, 2004

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.