Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been taking a look at the requirements for medicine online, and it looks like I'll be ok - those asking for non-science subjects say they will except general studies. Fortunately I've got the right grades for GCSE too - Just trying to keep my options open

ReputationRep:
    you should look at many different med school's individual prostectuses for entry requirements. but generally it is chemistry + either physics or biology. but i would recommend chem + biology since biology is actually becoming a requirement now.

-isnt it that further maths+ maths does not count as 2 A levels and you can only choose submit of them?? so you cant submit biology, chemitry, fmaths and maths as 4 a levels.
    -and most medschools dont accept gen studies ?

for those saying do 4 A levels and even 5..i'd say that's a reallyl bad idea. i'd rather have 3 As and a lot of work experience, volunteer work; than 2 As and 3Bs or something with no outside school activities.
    also why do you need to base your a levels on the presumption of applying for oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    I was going to start a thread on this, but I may as well just post here.

I've recently decided to change my A level options (I'm in year 11) as I'd hate to rule out being a doctor. I was going to do Bio, History, Eng. Lit and French.

I'm now thinking of Bio, Chem, Maths and French. I got A, A, A and A* respectively in my mocks so ability shouldn't be a problem (I hope *fingers crossed*) but I just want to check that this would enable me to study medicine at university?

Also, if anyone has any advice about how to change subjects (how and when to inform the two sixth forms I hold offers at) I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    -isnt it that further maths+ maths does not count as 2 A levels and you can only choose submit of them?? so you cant submit biology, chemitry, fmaths and maths as 4 a levels.
    -and most medschools dont accept gen studies ?
    That is Imperial's policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SugarPlum)
    I was going to start a thread on this, but I may as well just post here.

I've recently decided to change my A level options (I'm in year 11) as I'd hate to rule out being a doctor. I was going to do Bio, History, Eng. Lit and French.

I'm now thinking of Bio, Chem, Maths and French. I got A, A, A and A* respectively in my mocks so ability shouldn't be a problem (I hope *fingers crossed*) but I just want to check that this would enable me to study medicine at university?

Also, if anyone has any advice about how to change subjects (how and when to inform the two sixth forms I hold offers at) I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

im pretty sure that's perfect. chemistry is amust really so that's fine. but couldnt help notice you put maths down - if you're unsure you can pick 5 subjcts to do from the start of year 12 and drop the one you dislike after 3 or 4 weeks, and continue with 4.

ReputationRep:
    im pretty sure that's perfect. chemistry is amust really so that's fine. but couldnt help notice you put maths down - if you're unsure you can pick 5 subjcts to do from the start of year 12 and drop the one you dislike after 3 or 4 weeks, and continue with 4.
    Do you mean that maths wouldn't be too good, or just that I may as well take 5 to see which I prefer, then drop one? Thanks in advance, I really appreciate this!
    :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean that maths wouldn't be too good, or just that I may as well take 5 to see which I prefer, then drop one? Thanks in advance, I really appreciate this!
    I'm currently doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and will drop German at the end of this AS year, so quite similar to yourself. There's nothing wrong with Maths for medicine as it is considered by many medschools as a science, which is useful if they ask for '3 sciences'.
    In terms of the sixth form thing, i think you should probably inform the two schols ASAP of your decision as there is plenty of time before the start of the next academic year and i dont think that anything will be set in concrete as of yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dil)
    In terms of the sixth form thing, i think you should probably inform the two schols ASAP of your decision as there is plenty of time before the start of the next academic year and i dont think that anything will be set in concrete as of yet
    Yeah, they probably haven't even begun timetabling or anything yet, so hopefully if I let them know straight after the Easter holidays it shouldn't be a problem. Should I phone them, write to them, or what? I guess it doesn't really matter?

I feel so much happier with these new subjects though. I had reservations about the other ones, but this new set seems so much better for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJB)
    Hey, I want to do Medicine at university and was wondering if the following subject combo would work at all:

A level:
    Chemistry
    Biology
    History
    General Studies (okay not a proper A level really)

AS:
    Physics
    That should be fine I am doing Biology, Chemistry and Geography and I have Drama at AS and I have 3 offers to do Medicine next year.

ReputationRep:
    no sorry.
    i mean that u put maths down now, but u didnt before- so i thought u may have put it down reluctantly after listenig to others. so i mean, sure do it if you want, but it's not a must at all for medicine (although it does open up other options if u decide u dont want to do medicine) , because after all maths is a hard subject.
    so my suggestion was if you're unsure whether u really want to do maths or not, try doing 5 subjects for a few weeks and see how u like maths if u dont like, drop it. if u do liek it, drop one of the others that u were originally thinkingof dropping

ReputationRep:
    no sorry.
    i mean that u put maths down now, but u didnt before- so i thought u may have put it down reluctantly after listenig to others. so i mean, sure do it if you want, but it's not a must at all for medicine (although it does open up other options if u decide u dont want to do medicine) , because after all maths is a hard subject.
    so my suggestion was if you're unsure whether u really want to do maths or not, try doing 5 subjects for a few weeks and see how u like maths if u dont like, drop it. if u do liek it, drop one of the others that u were originally thinkingof dropping
    Ok, thanks. I think I'll be ok with maths, but that's some good advice. Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks. I think I'll be ok with maths, but that's some good advice. Cheers!
    How did it go with those 6th form schools? did you get in touch yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dil)
    How did it go with those 6th form schools? did you get in touch yet?
    Thanks for asking- I'm going to let them know after the Easter holidays, so- on Monday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gui1ty)
    its so hard i wish i could have done psychology for gcse. I think i will go to the meeting (which is tomorow) and ask for there adivce on it.
    hopefully they will be able to give me some advice, humanity like psychology or arty thing like literature
    Don't worry about it. Med School interviewers regard psycho as a pretty naff subject despite what anyone else on this bulletin board might think.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    im choosing for my A leveles
    Maths
    chemistry
    biology
    History

But im not sure weather to do my last one on Electronics/Polotics
    which one would look better for mdecine. I enjoy eletronics alot. but i alos have a keen intrest in polotics. What shall i do doese any one do polotics is it an easy subject to do.
    can any one help me please
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    You have 3 sciences already - it really won't matter. You don't have to do 5 subjects anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If you do an 'unusual' subject - like food/textiles, you're likely to get a good grilling about it at interview....i did...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 3, 2004

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.