is a photo or mirror a more accurate representation of what you look like?? Watch

This discussion is closed.
userboo
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
i look hideous in photos and fine in mirrors. the only photos i look good are ones taken outside on a sunny day, they look similar to what isee in the mirror. but other than those, i look dreaful. we all see ourselves and each other as a 'look' rather than individual features, but i dont see the 'look' i think i have from the mirror, in photos.

alot of people say they also look better in mirros but when i look at pics of my friends i dont think they look better or worse in pics...so why would i?

do you think mirros can be misleading?
in most lighting i look good in a mirror but throughout my life ive never been treated as pretty, infact ive been called ugly many times.
Pebbles13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We are our worse critics....
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You don't like how you look in photo cause your not used to it - your used to seeing yourself in the mirror [which shows the reverse]. Its the same with your voice, if you recorded yourself speaking, and played it back you'd be shocked at how different it sounds.
caroline147
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mirrors lie. Trustory.

It is very depressing though.
jtGRME
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree, I look in the mirror and think "hey i don't look that bad". Then i see pictures and it's not as good.

With a mirror, all you can see is you, so you can normally see good bits and also 'style' yourself to look better in your own opinion. With a photo, you're caught in poses that may not suit you, or, if there are other people in the photo, you are likely to compare yourself and that will alter your view of how good you think you look.
pegglybum
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
definitely mirrors for me. pictures = not good, very not good lol
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Also to bear in mind, that pictures taken by the hands of a novice often have bad lightning, bad positioning, and bad timing. Theres a reason professional cover models look good, and its not all photoshop and makeup.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ermm a mirror is much more liely to be an accurate representation of your face because you see a perfect reflection.

i have just held my library card to the mirror and it looks exactly the same as it does when i look at it.

it woudl look slightly different in a photo because of the processing (and tons of other factors)

when you consider how compelx a face is, then a mirror will offer a MUCH more accurate version of your fact at 100% 'zoom'

of course some cameras can zoom in our take pictures from further away hich will offer a distorted 'general' view

so yea, a mirror is a MUCH more accurate representation of what you look like up close.
userboo
i know its cuz of lighting cuz in the shadow it makes your features look good whereas a photo is a big flash light removing alll the shadows, but when i look in the mirror it hides all my faults which makes me think its not accurate
userboo
on a night out i think i look good and have little anxiety, even though the other girls in clubs look great, i dont care that much cuz when i look in the mirros i look fine but then in the photos after, i just cant stand them and think i look ridiculous and nerdy.
ijustlovetolearn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You usually look better in the mirror, but photos are what you look like, albeit in 2D. Like you said, when you see your friends in photos they look the same, so i guess that means we look the same too.
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Clubber Lang)
ermm a mirror is much more liely to be an accurate representation of your face because you see a perfect reflection.

i have just held my library card to the mirror and it looks exactly the same as it does when i look at it.

it woudl look slightly different in a photo because of the processing (and tons of other factors)

when you consider how compelx a face is, then a mirror will offer a MUCH more accurate version of your fact at 100% 'zoom'

of course some cameras can zoom in our take pictures from further away hich will offer a distorted 'general' view

so yea, a mirror is a MUCH more accurate representation of what you look like up close.
Not exactly. Pictures are far more accurate if taken well, since what you see in the mirror isn't what other people see. Hold a book up, can you read the writing? You may not thinking reversing right-left makes a difference to how you look, but it does.

This is often one of the reasons people take pictures of themselves in the mirror.
H.JJJ
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
im actually regretting the next pictures going up on facebook, I was always snapped in surprise... *******s
SnowWhiteButIDrifted
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Definitely mirror.

I'm not photogenic AT ALL.
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In photos I don't look anything like I do when I look in a mirror - my mum tells me photos of me never look the same as I do in real life, so I'm hoping the mirror is more truthful!

It's weird how some mirrors are more flattering...changing room ones are always horrendous, whereas we have a long mirror at home that has an amazing slimming effect! You would think changing rooms would have the flattering mirrors to make you buy the clothes though!
FuzzySheep
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hope it's the mirror :|
SerpentineLara
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You know, because every mirror is slightly different, you always see a different you.
Is there anyway to know if the reflection is really correct?

I mean, I look nice in some mirrors and not so nice in other mirrors.
How do I know which one I should trust?
Clubber Lang
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
Not exactly. Pictures are far more accurate if taken well, since what you see in the mirror isn't what other people see. Hold a book up, can you read the writing? You may not thinking reversing right-left makes a difference to how you look, but it does.

This is often one of the reasons people take pictures of themselves in the mirror.
If photos can be more accurate than a mirror (in a general sense) then i imagine only when a LOT of thought has gone into doing the photo

i very much doubt a normal person taking snaps could match accuracy of the mirror for general shots of people.
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd say the mirror is more accurate, because in a photo you're just frozen, and you only see yourself in one fixed position. Obviously that's not how other people see you in real life.
ADREAM
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Neither are more accurate, imho.

Lighting has a major effect on both.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (154)
17.64%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.71%
No I am happy with my course choice (516)
59.11%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.55%

Watched Threads