Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I cut my hair today. Blade 1 back and side, blade 3 top, and tramlines on the right. My mum saw my tramlines and had a massive go. She said I was cheapening myself, looking like a street boy, and that I'm changing for the worse from the golden straight A pride of the family (not her words but might as well be). She started having a go since a few weeks ago when I dyed a strip of red down the middle of the year. She didn't mind when it was temporary but she loathed the permanent. Now that's faded and the haircut means only a millimetre of orange/gold is visible among my natural black hair colour. I don't get what the big deal is!!!

OK there's a bit of truth to the change bit, but I know I'm better for it. I'm far more sociable now, although I've lost the desire to get straight As all the time (though I only realised it when Dani mentioned it yesterday). But her problem is that the family stands to lose face if people see the eldest child with abnormal hair or the type of hair associated with "dirty Bengalis". What I hate is having to compromise myself for the reputation of the family, when that reputation means squat to me. I don't care what most people think, they have no say in my life. Am I right to feel peeved at my mum for nagging for a selfish motive, or should I fixup???

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    I cut my hair today. Blade 1 back and side, blade 3 top, and tramlines on the right. My mum saw my tramlines and had a massive go. She said I was cheapening myself, looking like a street boy, and that I'm changing for the worse from the golden straight A pride of the family (not her words but might as well be). She started having a go since a few weeks ago when I dyed a strip of red down the middle of the year. She didn't mind when it was temporary but she loathed the permanent. Now that's faded and the haircut means only a millimetre of orange/gold is visible among my natural black hair colour. I don't get what the big deal is!!!

OK there's a bit of truth to the change bit, but I know I'm better for it. I'm far more sociable now, although I've lost the desire to get straight As all the time (though I only realised it when Dani mentioned it yesterday). But her problem is that the family stands to lose face if people see the eldest child with abnormal hair or the type of hair associated with "dirty Bengalis". What I hate is having to compromise myself for the reputation of the family, when that reputation means squat to me. I don't care what most people think, they have no say in my life. Am I right to feel peeved at my mum for nagging for a selfish motive, or should I fixup???
    I knoww exactly what you mean my dad is the same all the way, you just got to put up with it, well until uni anways. don't worry i think every bodies parents are like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    I knoww exactly what you mean my dad is the same all the way, you just got to put up with it, well until uni anways. don't worry i think every bodies parents are like that
    Until uni, ye-he-hes!!!

I would have thought most parents would be a bit more liberal with things like that. It's such a problem in my family because we live among many other Bengalis, and Bengalis love to talk. So my mum is scared that I (and therefore her because she "raised" me) will lose face. It's absolute crap! Just let the buck stop with me, I don't care what these people think! But if I was to say that they would just toss my opinion aside thinking I'm a naive kid. Never mind I'll be out of there soon!

ReputationRep:
    well it's better than having a bright pink mullet

ReputationRep:
    Until uni, ye-he-hes!!!

I would have thought most parents would be a bit more liberal with things like that. It's such a problem in my family because we live among many other Bengalis, and Bengalis love to talk. So my mum is scared that I (and therefore her because she "raised" me) will lose face. It's absolute crap! Just let the buck stop with me, I don't care what these people think! But if I was to say that they would just toss my opinion aside thinking I'm a naive kid. Never mind I'll be out of there soon!
    lol my mam helped me dye my hair, streaked blonde. Also helped my other brothers get their hair streaked red/blonde as well.

We are quite a diverse little bunch.

ReputationRep:
    danithedtudent--

you have a bright pink mullet? thats so cool!!!

how do you quote ****... i hate having to write out what people asy again...

ReputationRep:

i wouldn't worry too much, the beautiful thing about hair is that you can cut it all off and start again when it grws back!
    i nearly got expelled for dying all my hair vibrant red just before i had to make my head boys speech at the school open evening, but that blew over...

... eventually

ReputationRep:

i think it sounds rather nice........

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.