Environmental Studies AS Level - Doss or not? Watch

emelie_rose
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm debating taking environmental studies, i've checked out the cambridge black list and it's not on there, but i just wanted to ask is it seen as a "proper" subject in non-vocational universities?

Also, does anyone know the course? If so please enlighten me on the bad bits!

THANKYOU!
Selkarn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sorry but by the sound of it, it's not even good enough for the blacklist.

It's definitely neither traditional, or widely respected.
manc28
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
generally if it has 'studies' on the end then it's not worth it
better of going geography rather than this maybe?
heeheehee_ha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i'd personally go for a more traditional subject. geography seems a natural choice, you do some stuff on the environment in ocr chemistry. These subjects will definately keep your options open.

At the end of the day, it's your choice- you're not going to be penalised for it when applying for uni. and subject wise you could do a lot worse
written on my heart
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
isnt it called environment science? if so then why not? easp. if youre looking ahead to do enviroscience in uni or as an AS. Imperial accept it too. Not sure of envirostudies though.

anyway ..

Im doing the diploma of environmental science which is worth 3.5 a levels. thats the route i would go if you just want to do environmental science or agriculture in uni.
written on my heart
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
GAH DOUBLE POST. -.- sorry
EmmaM88
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Personally I would stick to traditional A-Levels.

I went down the vocational route during college which has limited me to the universities which have accepted me.

How about like a few others have suggested doing Geography instead? The A level is very broad compared to it at degree level so its not like you will get stuck learning about populations but instead look at more science related material as well.
written on my heart
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by EmmaM88)
Personally I would stick to traditional A-Levels.

I went down the vocational route during college which has limited me to the universities which have accepted me.

How about like a few others have suggested doing Geography instead? The A level is very broad compared to it at degree level so its not like you will get stuck learning about populations but instead look at more science related material as well.
Do you mind if i asked which vocational course you did?
EmmaM88
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by written on my heart)
Do you mind if i asked which vocational course you did?
Sure

I did a Double award AVCE in Health and Social care and an As in Psychology

I was determined that I wanted to be a nurse

Well it didnt work out so done another As in Geogrpahy which I now study at degree level.

I wanted to get into say Birmingham but couldn't because they wanted geography as a full A level and another science.
HelpMeImGoingToDie
Report 9 years ago
I'm doing environmental studies... BIG mistake.
All you study in unit 2 is the atmosphere, rocks, soil and water.
My advice would be you might as well do geography instead.
gernumblies
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Isn't the specification changing, making it Environmental Science now? I was going to do it, decided against it in the end.
Eleanor13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Is geology offered at your sixth form, if it is then i'd deffinitely recomend it instead of geography, then you don't have to do human.
Hicksichrist
Report 9 years ago
I do Environmental Studies for AS, and plan to take it on for A2. I love the subject personally, and find it interlinks beautifully with Geography and Biology. HOWEVER, there are some draw backs. I know that when the name was changed to 'Environmental Studies', the exam board sent out emails to all the Universities asking whether or not they would still except the subject. Little replied, however the only one that did say 'no' was St. Andrews (which was my number one choice...) Oxbridge accept it as a fourth A level, as it's a board subject however some universities may find that the time for interdisiplinary subjects is university, and NOT at school. The topics you get to study are: Biosphere: 40% of AS grade
Atmosphere, Hydrosphere and Lithosphere: 60%
So there is no coursework. Some may find that useful, others may not. That's the course anyway.
El Muffin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by gernumblies)
Isn't the specification changing, making it Environmental Science now? I was going to do it, decided against it in the end.
I think its the other way round, from Environmental Science to Environmental studies :yes:
santa 2010
Report 9 years ago
it is the same as the old environmental studies and is accepted in most uni's. It is really hard, i found it harder than biology and i think most unis now know it...
sam699
Report 8 years ago
Ok, so no one has posted for ages i would just liek to say when i took it i was scared because it sounded easy. I am only taking it as an As and i want to do medicine i know everyone will seem horrified but personally if the universities saw the course they would realise it is very scientific and actually quite hard in places, coming from someone that is doing chemistry and biology also. In my opinion it should be called environmental science; it is jsut the studies bit that has a "stigma" attatched to it.
Elizabeth_rb
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
From what I've seen of the syllabus, the name change may have come from the fairly high level of not necessarily 'science' content - ie the environmental issues sections - sustainability, enviromental protection etc. It's rather an interdisciplinary course, isn't it?

As someone who worked at a uni for some years, I can say that, unless you're interested in a degree programme with very specific requirements for all your A Level subjects, (many just specify grades and one or max two subjects in particular, say English at grade A for doing English etc, but don't mention the others beyond General Studies being acceptable or not), then take A level's you're interested in and can do well at. Beyond the specified subject, recruiters are interested in how well you do overall, not necessarily the individual subjects.

On the 'blacklist' front (ie subjects big name unis expect you to offer only one of alongside two or more traditional academic subjects), not only does environmental studies NOT appear on the lists, but it also appears on the acceptable list instead! Please don't take other students' word for it as people tend to offer their own opinions as fact. Get the facts from people who really know, not those who can only guess and may very well spread negative guff instead!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Im going to be doing Environmental Studies at A-level, alongside biology and chemistry. (there is still time to change my options)
At my college you only take three a levels and you do an A2 level ASDAN and an extended project at the same time..
I'm planning on going on to study Zoology or Environmental Earth Sciences at Uni. Do you think its a good idea to take Environmental Studies or would i be better off doing Geography?
careerconfused
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
when i began reading, i was certain that i was going to take enviromntal studies, but now im not so sure.
i could take geography but i havent taken it at GCSE so i wold have to work hard to keep up. also i am not that interested in the people side of the subject.
i am really annoyed that it is not considered a science as it contains alot of biology and chemisry.
i only have a week and i still have no idea what to take for A level!!! :confused:
Southwest2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by careerconfused)
when i began reading, i was certain that i was going to take enviromntal studies, but now im not so sure.
i could take geography but i havent taken it at GCSE so i wold have to work hard to keep up. also i am not that interested in the people side of the subject.
i am really annoyed that it is not considered a science as it contains alot of biology and chemisry.
i only have a week and i still have no idea what to take for A level!!! :confused:

I am currently in my second year of studying environmental studies, geography and maths. Personally i would say that environmental is harder than geography as it covers a large variety of areas such as biology, ecology, geology, geography, maths, chemistry, conservation and management so although you may not enjoy all of it (for me its the chemistry part i struggle with) there is plently more you are bound to like studying. It is also very relevent to what is going on in the world everyday.

It is by far the course i most enjoy at college and i highly recommend it. As for it not being considered a science...i have been offered places at 4 uni's so they obviously do still accept it.

Hope this has helped.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (68)
15.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (81)
18.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.12%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (132)
30.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed