The Student Room Group

Advice

Hello,

I'm a first year medical student in London having a few issues...I like studying medicine but I absolutely hate the uni, and seem to be disliking it more and more every day to the point where I dread going in. I made an effort during freshers but made a few mistakes with the people I hung around with, and now friendship groups have been formed I don't fit in anywhere.

I did think that I would be able to stick at the course here because its such a good opportunity, but part of me wants to drop out and study a different course elsewhere just to get away from the place. I've looked into transfers and the majority of places want extenuating circumstances.

I dont know what to do :frown:
Reply 1
I'd chill out and take the longer view. I know the cliques look set but, trust me, there's ebb and flow throughout the five years - a lot of freindships and friendship groups change. What's more there are lots of people in your medical school who find themselves in a similar situation to you. Be cool and it'll sort itself out.
Reply 2
I think most people find themselves in situations like that over the five years, with people getting together, breaking up, taking intercalations, qualifying, taking out-firms and etc etc. Freshers is a bit of a bubble year, things branch out more and more as you go on. Just take things as they come.
keewee20
Hello,

I'm a first year medical student in London having a few issues...I like studying medicine but I absolutely hate the uni, and seem to be disliking it more and more every day to the point where I dread going in. I made an effort during freshers but made a few mistakes with the people I hung around with, and now friendship groups have been formed I don't fit in anywhere.

I did think that I would be able to stick at the course here because its such a good opportunity, but part of me wants to drop out and study a different course elsewhere just to get away from the place. I've looked into transfers and the majority of places want extenuating circumstances.

I dont know what to do :frown:

I did the same in my first year, and it took me until the start of second year to land myself a new crowd.
Hang in there. If you run away now you'll be doing it the rest of your life
Reply 4
I 'counselled' a first year student last year who hated BL so much - largely due to not really trying to be honest: all there school friends and partner were at a different (same) med school and they didn't get in there... They didn't think they could last til clinicals to try to transfer and were seriously thinking of quitting and reapplying. After having the whole "do you want to be a student at X uni or a doctor" conversation, we did a lot of work on them integrating more in to medical school life and they are much more settled now - almos enjoying it :wink:

This student made good friends, late on in their first year - it's not as easy as being a newbie, but it IS possible...

My advice - talk to someone! If you have a student welfare officer, they would be well placed to help. If not, a nice lecturer or similar might be able to give you some pointers. "Worse case" scenario, check out your unis student advice/counselling services - it can be daunting approaching them, but they can help you work towards reintegration with "non-knobs" goals.

Good luck and I hope things work out.

Latest