what are the themes in rosencrantz and guildenstein?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
elumonya
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hey i'm doin this book 4 a levels and i really need a grip on it .can you help.i need an indepth study on tom stoppards book.what is he really talkin abt in detail please.
Angel Lory
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elumonya)
hey i'm doin this book 4 a levels and i really need a grip on it .can you help.i need an indepth study on tom stoppards book.what is he really talkin abt in detail please.
I saw the play last year for my live theatre essay (AQA Unit 3) question in Drama & Theatre Studies - are you studying it for drama?
Anyways, I'm guessing you know that the play is based around Hamlet and I'm not really a great swot on the themes of the play, however, looking at my notes there seems to be great emphasis put on the ideas and theory of chance and probability, being lucky or being in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time.
There seems to be some scribble about duplicity/superficiality and the ideas of self-gain also.
The play also starts to completely merge into the action of Hamlet. The end parts where Hamlet appears on the ship as Rosencrantz + Gildernstern is really an indicator of how the principal characters are about to share the same fate as the principle characters of Hamlet, ie. DEATH lol

Hope I helped! Good Luck! Feel free to message me anytime x
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (36)
7.79%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (37)
8.01%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (111)
24.03%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (64)
13.85%
No, nothing has changed (139)
30.09%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (75)
16.23%

Watched Threads