The Student Room Group

Applied for a job with HMRC!

I applied for a job with HMRC (as an Admin Officer) back in January and got an interview shortly after. For some reason they wouldn't in the beginning allow me into the interview as I only have a shortened version of my birth certificate; my dad assured me that this was the only one you could have when I born.

So I left disappointed and when e-mails came back through asking me about arranging for an interview I ignored them due to how picky they were with my ID. Then they rang me directly asking me to come in. So I did, and thankfully that time they allowed me in. In my opinon the interview went great and very smoothly.

Five days later I received an e-mail saying I was successful and they would notifiy me in 6 weeks if they could offer me a position and if my CRB and health checks were satisfactory. If they couldn't I'd be placed on a reserve list. It's now gone past my six weeks and still heard nothing.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate as to how long you think I might be waiting? I'm sure with HMRC they need a lot of staff. I'm also on a waiting list with the CSA (Child Support Agency) for an Admin Officer position. But I'm 80th on the list with them and have until next January before I get booted off the list.

I'm curious to see if anyone else is either in, or was, the same boat as me regarding HMRC.
Reply 1
I'm in a similar situation!

I had an interview for an admin assistant job in august. Then in december they sent me an email saying I was successful and that I will be placed on a reserve list for 6 months and if a position comes available they'll let me know. Not heard anything. I'm not really that bothered now to be honest. You just have to keep applying elsewhere. Have a Look at this aswell

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=15028307
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=957919
Reply 2
I've been applying everywhere, but if I'm honest these were the two jobs I had my heart set on. I've been getting mixed thoughts from forums; some people say they've got jobs fairly quickly, some it takes a while, and some never hear anything back. I really don't know what to think at the moment with this.
Reply 3
Hi, I'm in the same position as you. I applied for HMRC at the end of January and then went to an interview a few weeks later. The same thing happened to me - got an email saying I had been sucessful and they would contact me in the next 6 weeks if they could offer my a job immediately.... Anyway, the six weeks has been and gone and now I'm a bit confused.

I did ask the guys interviewing me about the recruitment process and they said that if I didn't get the job this time I'd be placed on a waiting list. So I asked if I would be told straight away if I was only on the waiting list and they said yes..... So it kind of seems that the start date has been put back..?? I don't know if they have taken on any new staff yet. I have tried emailing them but haven't heard anything back and I can't find a telephone number to call. So I guess I've got to wait it out... I'd be interested to hear if you get any news from them.

By the way, where did you apply for? I applied for the Merry Hill posts in West Midlands.
Reply 4
I work at the DWP and went through the same process. I applied in around June/July so I could do the training in August and didn't start until October. You have to be patient, unfortunately. Try ringing them up as well, I pestered them until they gave me a start date for training.
Reply 5
Hi everyone, am in the same situation as you; applied the position in Merry Hill this january, went for the interview and in march i was told that i was successful. They said that they might contact me within 6 weeks but never heard from them after that.......

But i recieved an email on the 24th of June saying the there is still no vacancies right now and if i want to be considered as a potential staff of HMRC, i don't have to reply to the e-mail.

Then, on the 20th of August, i recieved another e-mail saying that if i want to remain on their records as a possible future employee, i will have to reply to it this time. I replied to it but i did not get any update since then.

Looks like we are all in same situation but i would be interested to know if you recieved any e-mails concerning your application between the period of June and August.

Thank you.
Reply 6
good morning alvi1 i have an telephone interview at hmrc next monday any tips
Reply 7
Hi there can you tell me what sort of questions they ask?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending