Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just out of interest has anyone been to ALTON TOWERS? in the UK??

if so what was your favourite ride

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gina17)

Well i went in the Summer and it was really good. I have to say i enjoyed all of the big rides!
    I enjoyed obivion and Air. Oh yeah and i would have enjoyed Nemesis but my fiancee scared the s**t out of me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyFadge)
    Well i went in the Summer and it was really good. I have to say i enjoyed all of the big rides!
    I enjoyed obivion and Air. Oh yeah and i would have enjoyed Nemesis but my fiancee scared the s**t out of me.
    did you drip dry from going on ripsaw or did you try to go on air?? lol

ReputationRep:
    did you drip dry from going on ripsaw or did you try to go on air?? lol
    We went on Air! Me and my best mate went on ripsaw and got very wet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyFadge)
    Me and my best mate got very wet!
    oh yeah!!

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah!!
    Yeah with carrots

ReputationRep:
    ive been so many times.i go everytime i go to england..the best ride is nemisis..air would be bril if it just went a bit faster.

(Original post by wendyl)
    ive been so many times.i go everytime i go to england..the best ride is nemisis..air would be bril if it just went a bit faster.
    "Biggest dissappointment
    Alton Towers
    I've never been...
    Don't, it's crap. Next..."

Name that programme quote...
    J
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I love oblivion - I don't like rides with big drops and had been a chicken about riding even on the log flume for yrs before I decided to get over it and went on oblivion.

I wouldn't mind getting married on oblivion. Scares the pants off me every time

Nemesis is more fun though. I could ride that all day.

Air :shrug: don't see the appeal - not fast enough and they've stopped adding all the atmospheric stuff that makes the other rides a bit more special.

Ripsaw - like it, we went on last time with some members of staff who were egging on the staff in the booth - they let anyone who was a bit scared get off and then drenched us from head to toe - we went on that at 12midday and were still soaked when we got back to liverpool at 8pm

Corkscrew and Blackhole - fun and an ok way to kill 10 miutes but nothing special.

Best thing about alton towers - taking my other half and getting in for half price and then not queuing for any of the rides wheelchairs have some *big* advantages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    "Biggest dissappointment
    Alton Towers
    I've never been...
    Don't, it's crap. Next..."

Name that programme quote...
    J
    The Office!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The only place that really compares to alton towers is Busch Gardens florida (thank you student loans company ) - except the rides are bigger and better, the weather is warmer and there's a zoo/safari park to spend time in when you start to get a little dazed.

Disney and Universal Studios (even with the islands of adventure) are about kiddy rides and merchandising. Sea world is fun and the 2 rides there are good but it's a completely different day out.

I don't like Blackpool

ReputationRep:

not ben yet but will be soon

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed all the rides we went on.
    I went with two friends and my bloke. One of my friends would not go on anything decent.

Having said that we went on all the big rides, obivion,air,nemesis,ripsaw,corks crew.
    I only felt sick on the Tea Cups, quite upsetting really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    The only place that really compares to alton towers is Busch Gardens florida (thank you student loans company ) - except the rides are bigger and better, the weather is warmer and there's a zoo/safari park to spend time in when you start to get a little dazed.

Disney and Universal Studios (even with the islands of adventure) are about kiddy rides and merchandising. Sea world is fun and the 2 rides there are good but it's a completely different day out.

I don't like Blackpool

Busch Garden's Florida is mint ! Tidal Wave what quality - shear class, you can just stand on the bridge all day and get just as wet as on the ride ! Along with the rapids.

Disney, really has nothing of any great worth once you get past the Tower of Terror; Universal I thought was better than Disney, with better rides - Islands was particularly good, though you have to get the fastpasses to get any value out of the day by queue jumping otherwise you end up in a queue all day. The wet rides, along with Spiderman & Hulk were my particular favourites.

Sea World, doesn't really change - once you've been once you've seen it all - but Discovery Cove despite the cost which some would see as extortionate, is well worth it for the experience.

Disney Waterparks; rate Blizzard Beach, but like everyother Disney park is packed full of squeeling kids.

Wet and Wild however is far better, and the rides there are far superior.

As for back in blighty; Alton Towers is good by British standards, but part of the American attraction is how to make queuing less boring, whereas if you get to Alton on the wrong day you will queue everywhere - Air very different sensation, but not especially fast - Oblivion I believe is over-rated for 15 seconds worth.

Nemesis still has the appeal that it did when it first opened, and Rip Saw is rather good too.

Blackpool PB, along with Fantasy Island (Cleethorpes), are over priced and over rated. A total tourist trap.

ReputationRep:
    i went last year.and when i got there i was stoned.and oblivion was the first and best ride we went on.but i dint get a chance to go on air cos the queue was 2 long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wendyl)
    yeah this is true

ReputationRep:
    Oblivion is absolute quality...Nemisis isn't had bad either. They're deffo faves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophdoph)
    Oblivion is absolute quality...Nemisis isn't had bad either. They're deffo faves
    did you go on all the rides???

ReputationRep:
    did you go on all the rides???
    Nemesis is absolutely brilliant! I went on it 4 times the last time I went. Air is my second favorite which we went on twice although the second time we went on it, it broke down halve way round - v.scary!

Ripsaw was funny - the first time we went on it we didnt get wet at all - after seeing that my mates g/f decided to brave it and went on but that time we got absolutely soaked! haha she wasn't happy!

I went on the last day it was open this year so there was a massive fireworks display which was great. Only problem was it took about an hour to find the car again - we hadn't took any notice of which car park we parked in so we had to walk round all of them - doh!

If you haven't been to Alton Towers then go!!

ReputationRep:
    My friends and I went at the end of the summer before uni...all the schools were back so the park was full of students and small children. The longest we had to queue was 20 minutes...and only because someone threw up on Air...

Managed to get on Air's last 'flight' of the day which was good

We were there all day so managed to get on everything we wanted to...with the exception of the teacups. There were just too many small children...!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.