Turn on thread page Beta

Age limit on Mobile phones watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do you think there should be an age limit on a child carrying a mobile phone about? I feel that is unessary for them to own one but i have seen primary school childern with them. If to have a contract you need to be 18 i have heard why is there not a age limit on pay as you go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ro_jay)
    Do you think there should be an age limit on a child carrying a mobile phone about? I feel that is unessary for them to own one but i have seen primary school childern with them. If to have a contract you need to be 18 i have heard why is there not a age limit on pay as you go?
    PAYG you aint on a contract, you top it up on credit. Why start a thread on something you dont really understand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    PAYG you aint on a contract, you top it up on credit. Why start a thread on something you dont really understand?
    I wanted to go on contract but they would not let me because I was too yong!!!!! And I do know what I mean. I think it is wrong for young children to have a mobile they hardly have any need for it!!!!

ReputationRep:
    To be able to enter into a contract you have to be 18 or over. PAYG does not involve a contract hence no age limit.

Why would you need to impose an age limit? What is wrong with children having phones and how do you define whether they 'need' it or not. They would use it to contact their friends as you probably do.

If you are going to suggest imposing an age limit on mobile phones at least state your reasons for why you are of that opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    To be able to enter into a contract you have to be 18 or over. PAYG does not involve a contract hence no age limit.

Why would you need to impose an age limit? What is wrong with children having phones and how do you define whether they 'need' it or not. They would use it to contact their friends as you probably do.

If you are going to suggest imposing an age limit on mobile phones at least state your reasons for why you are of that opinion.
    I feel it should be under 11's or even 14's who wont be aloud to have a phone of thier own. They cannot afford to keep one and who else will they phone or text if their friends do not havea phone. I see children who are in year 4 with a phone and I think that is way to yuong to own a phone!!!!

ReputationRep:
    one of the major ideals of the free market is that, within the law, anyone can buy anything they want! im not saying this is a good thing, but those things that ARE regulated (ciggies and booze, for example) are things that can damage the users health.

and before yu say anything about brain-frtying microwaves, evidence has been given on both sides, no proof either way, so i abstain from that section of the argumnet!

ReputationRep:
    I feel it should be under 11's or even 14's who wont be aloud to have a phone of thier own. They cannot afford to keep one and who else will they phone or text if their friends do not havea phone. I see children who are in year 4 with a phone and I think that is way to yuong to own a phone!!!!
    my PERSONAL opinion is that it is pointless for year 4's to own a phone, but we dont know their situation - maybe they are a famous child actor and need to stay in touch with their agent! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    one of the major ideals of the free market is that, within the law, anyone can buy anything they want! im not saying this is a good thing, but those things that ARE regulated (ciggies and booze, for example) are things that can damage the users health.

and before yu say anything about brain-frtying microwaves, evidence has been given on both sides, no proof either way, so i abstain from that section of the argumnet!
    I wont it is just i fel that this will cause bulling if nothing is done about it!!!

ReputationRep:
    I wont it is just i fel that this will cause bulling if nothing is done about it!!!
    i'd say thats an issue fro schools?

ReputationRep:
    Well if they have got one then they can obviously afford it can't they (even if parents have bought it) - what does that matter to you. What is wrong with them phoning or texting their friends - if that is your arguement then why dont you say mobile phones should be banned across the uk because if no one had a phone no one would have to text - what a completely stupid arguement.

It seems to me you have a completely stupid arguement with no real basis whatsoever. I think you need to get a life - some of us have more important things to worry about than stupid things like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    Well if they have got one then they can obviously afford it can't they (even if parents have bought it) - what does that matter to you. What is wrong with them phoning or texting their friends - if that is your arguement then why dont you say mobile phones should be banned across the uk because if no one had a phone no one would have to text - what a completely stupid arguement.

It seems to me you have a completely stupid arguement with no real basis whatsoever. I think you need to get a life - some of us have more important things to worry about than stupid things like this.
    Personnaly i feel strong about it because bullying is a big thing and I know a number of people who have been on the recieving end because they never had phone so that is why I feel there should be an age limitn to try and stop the bullying in this part till people are old enough to know not to bull for what people own

ReputationRep:
    Why is it pointless for children in year four to have a phone, I can think of some reasons such as it getting stolen and stuff like that, but it is also a very good way for the child to stay in touch with thier parents. Also the location data means that the parent could in theory always know where thier child is, which at a young age is proberbly a good thing.

IIRC even for payg phones there is a contact, though you don't sign anything, it is completed when you register your sim over the phone and just basically says things like don't mess up the network or your contact will be terminated.

Pay monthly phones have a 'proper contact' ie one that if you break they will be more inclined to do something about because the phone company could loose money. The reason that under 18s cannot buy a play monthly phone is becuase the law sates that companies cannot take action against people under 18 to recover money owed to them. For this reason any company which loans services, goods or money will not sell to anyone under the age of 18.

ReputationRep:
    Personnaly i feel strong about it because bullying is a big thing and I know a number of people who have been on the recieving end because they never had phone so that is why I feel there should be an age limitn to try and stop the bullying in this part till people are old enough to know not to bull for what people own
    Well in every school I know of, children are not allowed to take in mobile phones.

BTW, it would have helped if you stated that reason when you started the arguement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Why is it pointless for children in year four to have a phone, I can think of some reasons such as it getting stolen and stuff like that, but it is also a very good way for the child to stay in touch with thier parents. Also the location data means that the parent could in theory always know where thier child is, which at a young age is proberbly a good thing.

IIRC even for payg phones there is a contact, though you don't sign anything, it is completed when you register your sim over the phone and just basically says things like don't mess up the network or your contact will be terminated.

Pay monthly phones have a 'proper contact' ie one that if you break they will be more inclined to do something about because the phone company could loose money. The reason that under 18s cannot buy a play monthly phone is becuase the law sates that companies cannot take action against people under 18 to recover money owed to them. For this reason any company which loans services, goods or money will not sell to anyone under the age of 18.
    When they are out the parents should know where they are so they do not need a phone to keep in contact.

ReputationRep:
    When they are out the parents should know where they are so they do not need a phone to keep in contact.
    Technically yes, but say something goes wrong like the bus they are on breaks down or something and they are going to be two hours late home. Isn't it much better to have a mobile so they can phone and tell thier parents not to worry?

Or alternativly if the child is late home isn't it good that parents can phone up their child to find out where they are?

ReputationRep:
    if there was an age limit, you would see more underage people with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    if there was an age limit, you would see more underage people with them.
    True but then at least the parents can be to blame and I DO know about fake ID. This would surely help the problem with bulling about phones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Technically yes, but say something goes wrong like the bus they are on breaks down or something and they are going to be two hours late home. Isn't it much better to have a mobile so they can phone and tell thier parents not to worry?

Or alternativly if the child is late home isn't it good that parents can phone up their child to find out where they are?
    Reverse charge call or even a pay phone card or a charge card!!!

ReputationRep:
    True but then at least the parents can be to blame and I DO know about fake ID. This would surely help the problem with bulling about phones
    What is the probem with bullying about phones? I wasn't aware there was a real problem. I can understand phones being stolden from children who are probably an easy target - but why would they be bullied?

ReputationRep:
    Originally though there was an age limit (prob unofficial I'm not sure) to buy any phone. When they first came out some stores at least wouldnt sell pay as you gos to under 16s this has now been relaxed. I tried to get one way back when and a saleswoman told me I was too young.

I think it should be at the parents discretion. If I was a parent I wouldnt make them into a fashion fad in the way that they are now. I think it is good for kids to carry them for security but I dont think it should be for the sake of fashion. I have a clapped out old pay as you go and as long as it works it should be ok but its like many things these days it becomes a competition to have the best phone which is a shame.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.