The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If there is violence in a relationship, then it might lead to further problems.

For example, if a man is beating his wife and has accused her of cheating - if she takes a lie detector test then the husband might use the result as a basis for battering her (if she's found to be cheating anyway). And who wants that (apart from Jeremy Kyle) ?
Reply 21
Dont polygraphs work on galvanic skin response? In which case, its more of a stress detector than a lie detector. Which is probably why they are so inaccurate.

And i guess people who are in violent relationships are bound to get more stressed when being asked about it, even if its false, so that could confound results?

I dont know....either way, Jeremy Kyle, as amusing as his show can be is a nasty piece of work.
Reply 22
And for the record, nothing beats Trisha's TRUTH CHAIR !
Reminds me of the photo-copier lie detector scene from The Wire.

Reply 24
L i b
Not to mention his gambling addiction!

Does he really have a gambling addiction?! But his shows sponsored by some online bingo company isn't it? I guess he can't have very strong ethical principles if he allowed that to happen.

I've always wondered why they do lie detector tests, when they admit on the show that they only have 90 or 95% accuracy - and some studies claim its a lot less than that. If I was JK I wouldn't allow lie detectors on the show, I wouldn't want to potentially ruin someones life due to an inaccurate result.

The shows been cancelled now though, for anyone who doesn't know. Its meant to be ending in early 2010.
Reply 25
x Kris
Does he really have a gambling addiction?! But his shows sponsored by some online bingo company isn't it? I guess he can't have very strong ethical principles if he allowed that to happen.

I've always wondered why they do lie detector tests, when they admit on the show that they only have 90 or 95% accuracy - and some studies claim its a lot less than that. If I was JK I wouldn't allow lie detectors on the show, I wouldn't want to potentially ruin someones life due to an inaccurate result.

The shows been cancelled now though, for anyone who doesn't know. Its meant to be ending in early 2010.

I don't think he really gives a ****.
Reply 26
x Kris

Ha, I never thought of that.

Yes, it's true - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-491599/He-lied--called-slut-Jeremy-Kyle-guest--claims-wife.html - he talks about it on the programme sometimes too.
I've always wondered why the people on his show are all mingers. Funny to watch though. JK is jokes.
Advanced Subsidiary
I've always wondered why the people on his show are all mingers. Funny to watch though. JK is jokes.

Because they find them on what knows, skanky council estates and most probably pay for them to go on there.
Yeah the reason (or so I've always thought, I think JK mentioned it once) is that the lie detector tests are often used to reconcile a relationship. And the show can't be seen to condone somebody staying with their partner if they've been abused?

So like, they only give the test if there is a chance that the couple will stay together. But if it's a violent relationship, they simply can't have one.
Revd. Mike
The polygraph thing on his show always annoys me. If you watch, it's blatantly obvious a lot of the time that the verdict's already been decided. If they're likely to be innocent and the polygraph confirms it, all well and good. But if Jeremy and the audience think he's done it, like in one episode I watched recently, there were three options:

"Polygraph said you were... lying, you disgusting piece of filth!"

And if the person swears blind they didn't do it then you get the sarcy "Oh, and I suppose you think that you're one of those special 4% that gets a false negative do you? Liar!"

"Polygraph was... INCONCLUSIVE. This means you didn't show enough reaction either way to make a judgement. So therefore you were probably lying and covering it, you disgusting piece of filth!"

"Polygraph said you were... telling the truth, isn't that interesting? But we all know you're lying about it, this must be one of those times in the top 4% that slips through!"

I couldn't believe the double standards in place there.

lol. This is actually pretty much true.

RE. main question, I always assumed it was because it might encourage violence/threatening from the other. A bit stupid if you ask me, given that the whole show could, but it's all I can think of.
I do find it funny how it's only like 96% accurate, so therefore... 1 in 25 results will be wrong. Yet Jeremy holds the piece of paper as though it were the Holy Grail, and people base their lives around the results of the test.

Tres amusing.
x Kris

As you've already pointed out, JK doesn't understand the term "ethical". If he did, the show wouldn't exist in the first place.

They're hoping for the results to prove whatever JK wants them to prove, so he has no qualms about . If you'd been on his show and abused by him and branded a slut, you'd almost certainly be stressed enough to look like a liar on a polygraph test, whether you'd done it or not. Surely if you're desperate enough for people to believe the truth, you make all the same physical tics that a desperate liar would?
Reply 33
Ascient
:rofl:

The real question is why the contestants actually alter their lives in the most fundamental of ways on the basis of what a lie detector says.

Haha the boy in the video in your sig was definitely told exactly what to say. Ever heard such a small boy talk like that?
Lie detectors are ******** anyway.

Recent interests on using fMRI in lie detection sound intriguing, however.
Reply 35
coren111
Ever heard such a small boy talk like that?

No, but then I've never seen little boys growing up with nothing blood, violence and explosions around him (from both sides, before you go off on one :rolleyes: ). Anyway, this isn't the thread to discuss that.
loool Jeremy Kyle is like a comedy show to me
Reply 37
Because it would take up valuable time which JK could spend judging someone.
Robbolo
Dont polygraphs work on galvanic skin response? In which case, its more of a stress detector than a lie detector. Which is probably why they are so inaccurate.

Not quite, they monitor several things, hence the term polygraph :smile:

Typically, they'll monitor heart rate, blood pressure, temperature, glavanic skin response and occasionally perspiration rate. Very sophisticated ones can also include things like sensors that monitor tiny eye movements and muscle contractions, and sometimes vocal fluctuations.

Combined with all this data, the key thing is to have a skilled operator that can interpret it all properly, as well as ask the questions in the right way and observe the subject for behavioural clues that will give an extra dimension to the physiological data.

Even then, they're not infallible.

Latest

Trending

Trending