Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Oh yea...?
    Yeh just a couple of people have mentioned things. My Catholicism was actually brought up in one of my interviews which I found a little disturbing.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Hi Crunch!

Im from Derry too.

I wouldn't exactly call Derry's accent nice/sexy! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Yeh just a couple of people have mentioned things. My Catholicism was actually brought up in one of my interviews which I found a little disturbing.

People I know from a catholic school applied to St Catz at Oxford and Cambridge - do they have any catholic links as these were the colleges they were told to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    I have to say though I have experienced a little anti-Irish feeling in Oxford.....well, not anti-Irish, more specifically anti-Catholic I guess.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    The Martyrs' Memorial in Oxford was set up essentially for anti-Catholic reasons:

http://www.oxfordbusiness.info/civic/old_oxford/mm1.htm

ReputationRep:
    the irish are great, spent a week in dublin once, nice city, good guiness, great people.

they can be bonkers though, have you ever seen irish football/rugby fans? nutters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle)
    People I know from a catholic school applied to St Catz at Oxford and Cambridge - do they have any catholic links as these were the colleges they were told to apply to?
    Not that I know of, maybe the school itself has links?

As for the martyrs memorial, well it disgusts me that I have to walk past that thing. The men whom it remembers were disgusting people who have much blood on their hands. They should not be commemorated. I can appreciate that there were many innocent and decent Protestants (and indeed Catholics) who perished for their beliefs but this lot were anything but.

ReputationRep:

I am very disturbed about this as well and am even more disturbed that not one of our forum members asked any questions about it! I guess that if you were from any other faith group perhaps they might have! But you did say that you had met with some anti-Catholic attitudes and this apparent lack of concern would bear that out in my opinion.
    What were you asked in interview about your Catholicism and what was your response?

ReputationRep:
    I am Irish, and I love Ireland more than anything it is absolutley fantastic; if I failed my A Levels I was going to join the Irish army.

Dislike protestants though if you wanna be Church of England **** off back to England then; Ireland is its own country with its own religion not some English colony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    And the resident bigoted moron is off again...
    Crunch- be careful mate, Blamps here is a bigot. Despite knowing very little about Catholicism he doesnt allow that to stop him mouthing off, and he's one of the most prejudiced people I've ever encountered. As someone of Irish Catholic descent, he disgusts me and you might want to watch out as well. For all the backtracking, he still has some revolting and badly informed views.
    hmmmm....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    hmmmm....
    are you a lefty?? If so, you should read some of the comments Orwell made on Catholicism in the back (appendix) of a certain edition of animal farm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MurphysMoment.)
    I am Irish, and I love Ireland more than anything it is absolutley fantastic; if I failed my A Levels I was going to join the Irish army.

Dislike protestants though if you wanna be Church of England **** off back to England then; Ireland is its own country with its own religion not some English colony.
    I hope you fail your A levels and get shot up by the SAS

ReputationRep:
    and it is not Ireland's own religion seeing that it was started by the Romans

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I don't think my agnosticism makes me any less Irish, but anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    As for the martyrs memorial, well it disgusts me that I have to walk past that thing. The men whom it remembers were disgusting people who have much blood on their hands. They should not be commemorated. I can appreciate that there were many innocent and decent Protestants (and indeed Catholics) who perished for their beliefs but this lot were anything but.
    I'm not an expert on them, but the Bishops Cranmer, Latimer, and Ridley never went around killing people.... and the reason they were burned was because they didn't believe in transubstantiation!

ReputationRep:
    Catholicism was not started by the Romans. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why we think your bigotry is based on ignorance.
    Christ instituted the Catholic Church through St. Peter. The irony is thatChrist was Jewish and the Jews deny He is the Son of God! But these early Catholics were in fact persecuted by the Romans.
    St. Columba (latter day Roman although intrinsically Catholic) converted most of Europe and indeed, Ireland and England to Catholicism. So you see, Ireland's faith was NOT started by the Romans.

ReputationRep:

Mr. Ignorant no I didn't fail my A Levels as I am now at University so sorry to burst your bubble about that; and Catholicism is Irelands offical religion; I never said they owned the legal rights to it, also idiot I said the proper Irish army not the IRA. I suggest you get your facts straight the next time you try and use your tiny brain to attempt to make a judgement\opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    I'm not an expert on them, but the Bishops Cranmer, Latimer, and Ridley never went around killing people.... and the reason they were burned was because they didn't believe in transubstantiation!
    Hmm you might want to give a bit more thought to the idea that they didnt go round killing people methinks... they certainly had plenty of people murdered because they did believe in transubstantiation, as you'll see if you delve into the history a bit. For example, Brigdens book New Worlds Lost Worlds contains references to atrocities perpetrated against Catholic clergy at Latymer's behest. The burning alive of an allegedly traitorous Welsh friar in 1538 as Latymer preached beside him springs to mind. What a sadistic *******. Not the sort of behaviour that should be rewarded with a monument in the honour of the perpetrator I hope you'll agree, and thats the major reason it disgusts me every time I have to walk past it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MurphysMoment.)

Behave yourself. Apart from anything else, you dont want to give the bigots (mentioning no names) any ammunition now do you?
    Freedom of religion is very important- the fact that Ireland suffered for so long under oppressive Protestants doesn't mean their descendants ought to suffer. There is no need for Ireland or her people to descend to that level.

ReputationRep:
    I hope for your sake,that you're joking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Catholicism was not started by the Romans. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why we think your bigotry is based on ignorance.
    Christ instituted the Catholic Church through St. Peter. The irony is thatChrist was Jewish and the Jews deny He is the Son of God! But these early Catholics were in fact persecuted by the Romans.
    St. Columba (latter day Roman although intrinsically Catholic) converted most of Europe and indeed, Ireland and England to Catholicism. So you see, Ireland's faith was NOT started by the Romans.
    How come the Catholic church does not look favourably upon the Jews if Jesus was a Jew himself....

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.