The Student Room Group

would you rather be in a university full of chavs or toffs?

Scroll to see replies

lyrical17
Hi

would you rather be surrounded by chav/ common work class people at university or well brought up /toffs?

i know people say that every university has a mix of people but the fact remains that universities tend to be largely populated by certian groups

eg. bristol/durham/nottingham -- largely toffish
eg. aston/westminister/surrey - largely common working class

no offence intented to anyone who attends those universities

My family are working class, but we are by no means common.

I'm guessing you've offended a lot of people with this thread. You can't just put people into two classes. It doesn't work like that. How ignorant.
toffs? **** off, rather eat my own ****
Don't use working class as a synonym for chavs please. It's ill-educated and shows that you don't know what you're talking about.
lyrical17
Hi

would you rather be surrounded by chav/ common work class people at university or well brought up /toffs?

i know people say that every university has a mix of people but the fact remains that universities tend to be largely populated by certian groups

eg. bristol/durham/nottingham -- largely toffish
eg. aston/westminister/surrey - largely common working class

no offence intented to anyone who attends those universities

You fail to consider the surroundings of where the universities are based. Aston has quite a few businessy type degrees so I don't see a chav wanting to study that. Perhaps a drug lord might to learn how to cope with aggressive markets (borrowing from The Wire with Stringer Bell) but that would be it. Their education, albit informal, is on the street.
Omg.... so I'm a lesser citizen because I'm working class? Thanks...

You are right - I don't deserve to be at uni

TSR is so middle class!
You just conflated chavs with working class, GTFO.
Ekpyrotic
You just conflated chavs with working class, GTFO.

But equating middle class people with toffs/snobs is okay, yeh?
Callum828
But equating middle class people with toffs/snobs is okay, yeh?

Where did I say that? Have the academic discipline not to put words in others' mouths.
Ekpyrotic
Where did I say that? Have the academic discipline not to put words in others' mouths.

The OP said that. You criticised his stereotyping of working class people as chavs but not of middle class people as toffs.
Reply 69
Katieloula
toffs? **** off, rather eat my own ****

Bad experience, I'm guessing?
I'm only writing on this because Qwenty is above me, and I like it when we are near each other on threads.

Okay?
Reply 71
Aww, you're cracking lassie, so you are! :biggrin::

If that is a question asking if I am okay, then yes I am. Was v. down last week though.

If not, then carry on! :p:
Hahaha! It was actually a threatening warn off to anyone that might have a problem with it, but that's always good to know =)

'Cept about you being down though. That's never good. ::p:
Reply 73
I see....so I can call someone else up to back me up in my corner! Awesome. :biggrin:

It never is, but the only way to get rid off it is to be absurdly positive, and it seems to be working so far.... fingers crossed, touchwood, etcetera etcetera.
A chav any day of the week. Not all chavs happen to be thugs either...I guess people on this somewhat insular forum would class anybody who has a taste for sportswear and baseball caps (and enjoy hip-hop and talk with a regional accent) a 'chav'. I loath thugs and lowlife scum who kill and intimidate, but I've met loads of chavish (I use the term with reluctance) people and they're much more down to earth than your average public-schooled brat. They've probably got more in common with me anyway, although I dispise rap.
Callum828
The OP said that. You criticised his stereotyping of working class people as chavs but not of middle class people as toffs.

Indeed I didn't say anything, how is that equivalent to me condoning "equating middle class people with toffs/snobs"? Your lack of logic beggars belief.
Ekpyrotic
Indeed I didn't say anything, how is that equivalent to me condoning "equating middle class people with toffs/snobs"? Your lack of logic beggars belief.

Easy. You criticised one stupid stereotype that the OP said, but ignored another one in the very same sentence. You lack of balance suggests bias on your part.
Tbh I wouldn't mind either. All the working class people I know are the most lovely and generous people I've ever met. Also, genuine upper class people are very nice too. Bit eccentric, but lovely :smile: The people I can't stand are middle class rahs who swan around uni in their ugg boots and trackies, with their carefully dishevelled hair, talking about their latest trip to the Alps/Malia/Zante/Malaga/Ibiza, couldn't give a **** about the subject they're studying because they're only at uni because daddy's paying, drive brand new mini coopers and have that irritating home counties accent.
Rant over lol.
Callum828
You lack of balance suggests bias on your part.

Let's accept this premise. Now get to: "Therefore, Ekpyrotic thinks all middle class people are toffs."

Hit the road.
Ekpyrotic
Let's accept this premise. Now get to: "Therefore, Ekpyrotic thinks all middle class people are toffs."

Hit the road.

Please, don't be rude, it's only the internet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending