Watch
This discussion is closed.
Ghost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by theronkinator)
I already have an ex army issue Russian Gas Mask I'm fine thanks. I'm leaving the country for 10 weeks next tuesday. It better not be cancelled.
I hope you have a fair few replacement filter canisters then - gas masks only provide a few hours of protection.
Erradhadh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The answers here seem a bit ridiculous. Obviously, as of now, no one would wear one.

If the swine flu does actually escalate to pandemic proportions and people are getting severely ill/dying in large numbers, I am positive the majority of people would wear the masks.

They do not provide full-proof protection but swine flu is airborne and if it decreases one's chances of contracting a deadly disease, I'm sure the majority of younger people would wear it.

Also, to clear up misconceptions:

-swine flu has little to do with pigs: it's a mutation of a flu that affected pigs, but in its mutated form it really has little to do with them.

-the danger of swine flu as it is now is the possibly of quick mutation that would make it difficult or impossible to treat

-in its current strain, it's actually more dangerous to the 13 - 40 age range (the healthiest one) as the reaction by a healthy metabolism is what is deadly

-the fear that WHO, governments, etc have is due to the fact that its airborne - and thus easily transferable

Obviously, we are not remotely close to pandemic proportions, but it is the media's duty to stress possibilities for if there weren't such measures taken, individual circumstances wouldn't be isolated - thus actually leading to a pandemic.
Oladz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sexisara)
If you get sent one through the post, would you wear it.
Yeah, but id wear it round my neck, or on my arm for the lulz and cough loudly everywhere i went.
sonic23
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Martin_Kellogg)
Swine flu FTW.

How can you say stuff like that when poeple are dying from it?
caradepan
Report 11 years ago
If I lived in Mexico, I would
Laus
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
The answer is simple:

jcb309
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Apparently in Mexico they are getting 2 extra days to revise for their IB exams. (the exams start for the rest of us poor souls on May 4th, Mexico start on May 6th apparently because of swine flu)

I won't wear a mask if it comes to Hong Kong, I'm pretty much in quarantine anyways doing revision.
Marineio
Badges: 2
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sexisara)
If you get sent one through the post, would you wear it.
I'd wear one of these

Much more stylish...

But yeah, on a serious note, if it got that bad I would wear one.
Laus
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
I like the idea of covering our faces up. Well, my face, at least.
xobeauty
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Toronto has it...aahhh im scared.
Insanespana
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Erradhadh)
The answers here seem a bit ridiculous. Obviously, as of now, no one would wear one.

If the swine flu does actually escalate to pandemic proportions and people are getting severely ill/dying in large numbers, I am positive the majority of people would wear the masks.

They do not provide full-proof protection but swine flu is airborne and if it decreases one's chances of contracting a deadly disease, I'm sure the majority of younger people would wear it.

Also, to clear up misconceptions:

-swine flu has little to do with pigs: it's a mutation of a flu that affected pigs, but in its mutated form it really has little to do with them.

-the danger of swine flu as it is now is the possibly of quick mutation that would make it difficult or impossible to treat

-in its current strain, it's actually more dangerous to the 13 - 40 age range (the healthiest one) as the reaction by a healthy metabolism is what is deadly

-the fear that WHO, governments, etc have is due to the fact that its airborne - and thus easily transferable

Obviously, we are not remotely close to pandemic proportions, but it is the media's duty to stress possibilities for if there weren't such measures taken, individual circumstances wouldn't be isolated - thus actually leading to a pandemic.
I haven't read this one anywhere, I know that they were surprised that the majority of people who've died are young but I thought that was just due to conditions in mexico...

I mean it's like normal flu isn't it? Surely people without athsma/heart problems etc (ie the ones that have the usual flu jab every year) are more likely to have serious complications? It's not actually deathly is it? It's only flu....
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I had a weird run in today.

A frient: damn, I think I'v got flu or gomething.
Me: (joking) ha, just hope it isn't swine flu.
Him: Don't joke about that, Iv been in mexico all last wekks.
Me: HOLY ****! STOP BREATHING ON ME!
jay234
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
the mask only works for 2/3 hours max.
theronkinator
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ghost)
I hope you have a fair few replacement filter canisters then - gas masks only provide a few hours of protection.
I have no cannisters I was joking (well I do really have the gas mask), I'm not wearing a stupid mask for this over hyped thing.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If I need to treat a punter I see no reason not to use PPE. Otherwise, no, good hygiene can't be substituted by a cheap paper mask.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Insanespana)
I haven't read this one anywhere, I know that they were surprised that the majority of people who've died are young but I thought that was just due to conditions in mexico...

I mean it's like normal flu isn't it? Surely people without athsma/heart problems etc (ie the ones that have the usual flu jab every year) are more likely to have serious complications? It's not actually deathly is it? It's only flu....
It's not the virus itself, apparently the mortality is something to do with the cytokine storm that it can trigger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm
flowermaster91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
nope
Venom123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd wear the mask just to be cool
happydinosaur
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
It's not the virus itself, apparently the mortality is something to do with the cytokine storm that it can trigger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm
Now I'm terrified! (and hoping that I'm not actually that healthy...)
The Jester
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
a friend of a friend walked into Kings college hospital last night and told them that his sister has swine flu just so he could get a free mask.

:lolwut:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.55%
Virtual campus tours/open days (98)
22.9%
Live streaming events (39)
9.11%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (40)
9.35%
A uni comparison tool (98)
22.9%
An in-person event when available (95)
22.2%