Watch
This discussion is closed.
Renal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by The Jester)
a friend of a friend walked into Kings college hospital last night and told them that his sister has swine flu just so he could get a free mask.

:lolwut:
:lies:
siobhan21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I already got a box from my old work place (nicked em when i left), if the need be me and my daughter would wear them. But i would use them correctly, change every few hours or when damp, if sneeze then change and never use one which has already been used etc
yesioo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No I wouldn't. They do sod all. You need a mask that has a seal for a start and then you need eye protection...I may buy myself a bio suit :awsome:

That was a joke...
ilovereggieyates(=
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would wear a mask if I was sent one yes, probably even though it seems they're not much use. That 12 year old from Paignton who has swine flu isn't too far from me, so I shall report back if I'm sent one
Kätzchen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No. Apparently they do sod all anyway.
fire2burn
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They're practically useless so why bother wearing one? Best just to stay indoors on TSR where it's safe... well relatively safe. Some troll will probably attempt to get us through the screen.
abc101
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have loads of surgeons' masks but I hate them because they make your face get all hot and you can smell fusty breath. Not good.

I bet restaurants and cafes will start seeing an downturn...hygiene standards aren't exactly stellar in the majority of places, so if just one person in the kitchen has swine flu...
yhsa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The answer is simple:

siobhan21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why have the French stockpiled them for the public if they are ineffective?
Do you think England is just being a bit tight on those purse strings?
happydinosaur
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by siobhan21)
Why have the French stockpiled them for the public if they are ineffective?
Do you think England is just being a bit tight on those purse strings?
To make people feel better and seem as though they are taking proactive steps.
Angry Mum
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How you can help

"Hey, I'm posting on behalf of tropical-twist3 who received and email from DEFRA explaining a survey that has bean pushed forward earlier than planned because of the current situation with the flu.

The research is on social networking, recording who you have come in to face to face conversation and skin to skin contact with, recording this ideally once a week on a different day each week.

Please copy and paste this post and the link and email it to everyone in your inbox, asking others to do the same. The further (and quicker) we can spread this email across Britain the better.

http://www.contactsurvey.org/

The questionnaire is pretty straight forward however there is a helpline on the site if you get confused.

Those under 16 need parental permission

Thank you."
Subcutaneous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I probably will have too working in healthcare- doesn't look sexy though
MrGreedy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I hate to say it, but I am 99.9% sure I wont get the swine flu.
neverumind
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
:nah:
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Subcutaneous)
I probably will have too working in healthcare- doesn't look sexy though
We'll probably be sent home.
Rosslyn
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was in China when the 2003 SARS epidemic broke out. It was terrifying, and though masks don't do you a lot of good (apparently), the sheer terror of seeing everyone walking around the airport in a variety of masks (I saw a few Japanese Darth-Vader like guys, they were a laugh) was enough. It's the atmosphere - if everyone's doing it, you'd feel compelled to do it.

The authorities are saying swine flu can spread faster than SARS, and even when someone's not showing symptoms in their incubation period. That's what's worrying.
Subcutaneous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
We'll probably be sent home.
the students? I won't complain! Saying that they're asking student nurses to volunteer and sign up for gp surgeries/walk in centres if it gets worse plus nhs direct is increasing temp staffing, i literally got offered a job on the day to help on the helplines. Plus i work with NHS p and i'm sure i'll get given more shifts with people taking time off etc
Angry Mum
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Rosslyn)
I was in China when the 2003 SARS epidemic broke out. It was terrifying, and though masks don't do you a lot of good (apparently), the sheer terror of seeing everyone walking around the airport in a variety of masks (I saw a few Japanese Darth-Vader like guys, they were a laugh) was enough. It's the atmosphere - if everyone's doing it, you'd feel compelled to do it.

The authorities are saying swine flu can spread faster than SARS, and even when someone's not showing symptoms in their incubation period. That's what's worrying.
this is a sweeping generalisation but I think quite a few diseases spread in similar ways are most contagious when the symptoms aren't obvious
synthpopx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Laus)
The answer is simple:

That would do nothing except protect you from bees xD
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Subcutaneous)
the students? I won't complain! Saying that they're asking student nurses to volunteer and sign up for gp surgeries/walk in centres if it gets worse plus nhs direct is increasing temp staffing, i literally got offered a job on the day to help on the helplines. Plus i work with NHS p and i'm sure i'll get given more shifts with people taking time off etc
I'll remember that next time someone in H&R suggests calling them.

You can work if you want to. Believe me, I'll be very careful about what I'll be doing.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.39%
Virtual campus tours/open days (99)
22.86%
Live streaming events (39)
9.01%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.47%
A uni comparison tool (99)
22.86%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.4%