Watch
This discussion is closed.
synthpopx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by abc101)
I have loads of surgeons' masks but I hate them because they make your face get all hot and you can smell fusty breath. Not good.

I bet restaurants and cafes will start seeing an downturn...hygiene standards aren't exactly stellar in the majority of places, so if just one person in the kitchen has swine flu...
I'm scared now. I'm going out to eat tonight for my birthday, is there a chance somebody in the kitchen has swine flu? :/
Subcutaneous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
I'll remember that next time someone in H&R suggests calling them.

You can work if you want to. Believe me, I'll be very careful about what I'll be doing.

...its not me giving the advice i don't like people suggesting i'm stupid and useless, im just the health advisor following some questions on the computer, and putting them through to a registered nurse- who refers them to the walk in centres with other nurses. Plus i now have the flu myself so i'm screwed anyway. (not swine flu though- i hope)
pure_awesomeness
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
hahahahahah love it
A is for Awesome
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

VADER NEEDS NO PUNY PAPER MASK.
Rosslyn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Angry Mum)
this is a sweeping generalisation but I think quite a few diseases spread in similar ways are most contagious when the symptoms aren't obvious

Yes, I'm taking it out of the context and comparing it just to SARS, because we've a better idea what a SARS epidemic was like. It's like a point of reference, really.

for SARS, you only become contagious when you develop a fever, or ten days into infection (apparently). so it's easier to monitor in a way, whereas swine flu can spread faster and wider without anyone knowing enough about it. I think that's what's worrying the authorities - the fact that no one knows much about it.
Renal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Subcutaneous)
...its not me giving the advice i don't like people suggesting i'm stupid and useless, im just the health advisor following some questions on the computer, and putting them through to a registered nurse- who refers them to the walk in centres with other nurses.
I'm not for one minute suggest that you're stupid or useless for a 'health advisor'.
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
I'm not for one minute suggest that you're stupid or useless for a 'health advisor'.

oh ok. Its just that tends to be the tone of your posts towards me; sorry if i was on my guard; am tired and fed up.
RyanT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
edited - thanks acalia.
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RyanT)
Yes I would and I'd replace it every few hours with a newly sterilised one.

I do not like this flu one bit - I have a very strong immune system and haven't been ill in a very long time so it makes me paranoid when healthy people are dying to it.

People who say they wouldn't deserve to be shot. What if you catch it because you're not wearing a mask, then sneeze and give it to an 18 year old who goes on to die from the disease?

Scum, absolute scum. Playing Russian roulette with other peoples health.

We will see how this virus evolves - at the moment it isn't a big deal but that could very easily change with a few mutations.

ok firstly- chill.

secondly; im sure when it becomes a proper pandemic and people get worried they'd wear masks anyway- peer pressure and all that
emilyyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
It's not the virus itself, apparently the mortality is something to do with the cytokine storm that it can trigger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm
This is only an up-in-the-air suggestion though, right? Speculation and all that.

To be honest, in a developed country like ours, with decent medical provisions, even with cytokine storms, I shouldn't think there will be many fatalities.

As for how effective these masks are... I think they offer some element of protection. But in the hands of normal civilians, who'll use them improperly, they're not going to do much at all.
I'm undecided as to whether I'd consider one or not.

Doesn't stop people trying to panic-buy them though. I work in a pharmacy and we've had people ordering them already. Our wholesalers have been out of stock of all facemasks for a couple of days now. And we're already receiving phonecalls from people enquiring as to whether they can purchase Tamiflu :rolleyes:
As it stands we can't order in even if we wanted to. All stocks are reserved for hospitals at the moment, apparently. GPs aren't allowed to prescribe. It's all in the hands of the hospitals.
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by emilyyy)
This is only an up-in-the-air suggestion though, right? Speculation and all that.

To be honest, in a developed country like ours, with decent medical provisions, even with cytokine storms, I shouldn't think there will be many fatalities.

As for how effective these masks are... I think they offer some element of protection. But in the hands of normal civilians, who'll use them improperly, they're not going to do much at all.
I'm undecided as to whether I'd consider one or not.

Doesn't stop people trying to panic-buy them though. I work in a pharmacy and we've had people ordering them already. Our wholesalers have been out of stock of all facemasks for a couple of days now. And we're already receiving phonecalls from people enquiring as to whether they can purchase Tamiflu :rolleyes:
As it stands we can't order in even if we wanted to. All stocks are reserved for hospitals at the moment, apparently. GPs aren't allowed to prescribe. It's all in the hands of the hospitals.
meh maybe the mask market may help the recession!! lol

and i know, making me laugh how people want to buy tamiflu..i just ask how they plan to administer it :p:

I agree with you, i think there will be fatalities, but like flu in general it'll hit the vulnerable MORE

It's certainly going to be a test on the NHS
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by emilyyy)
Essentially yes.

We don't really have any idea how best to manage cytokine storms...

Good. It needs to be controlled if it's going to do any good.
Annaconda
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
wearing a mask is useless cos they become moist and then are worse than inefective
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Annaconda)
wearing a mask is useless cos they become moist and then are worse than inefective
N95
JMonkey
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes a zombie mask.

:woo:

No, hand washing is far more effective. And this wont be more than a storm in a teacup anyway. Did I where a mask this winter when nigh on 100 people died of the flu. No, but then that's because I have a sense of persepctive.
FTC199
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if they offer me a mask when i go to the hospital to do pbl today, i wouldn't turn it down! (i just want it for the craic really)
Turdburger
Badges: 16
Report 11 years ago
No. Can the government start acting on C difficle and MRSA rather some silly little flu they have changed into a political exercise to make them look organised and ready.
FTC199
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by JMonkey)
Yes a zombie mask.

:woo:

No, hand washing is far more effective. And this wont be more than a storm in a teacup anyway. Did I where a mask this winter when nigh on 100 people died of the flu. No, but then that's because I have a sense of persepctive.
hand washing is only effective when you dry your hands on a towel/paper towel, dryers do nothing to get rid of bacteria!
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Turdburger)
Can the government start acting on C difficle and MRSA.
No.
Pink Liquid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Of course I will!!! If I can get my hands on one...don't know where to get them from? :mad:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.89%
Virtual campus tours/open days (112)
23.28%
Live streaming events (44)
9.15%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.56%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.66%
An in-person event when available (108)
22.45%