This discussion is closed.
emilyyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
Essentially yes.

We don't really have any idea how best to manage cytokine storms...

Good. It needs to be controlled if it's going to do any good.
From the recoveries we're seeing so far in confirmed cases, I would hope we'll be able to intervene with anti-virals before the cytokine storms (if they are to blame) become too much of a problem?
If this weren't the case, and people weren't responding to treatment/their condition was worsening rapidly, surely we'd have heard a lot more about the possibility of the cytokine storms?

Not saying that we should just turn a blind eye to the possibility though, especially if we've very little way of managing them should they occur

EDIT// To be honest my only concern at the moment is whether this thing will mutate to become resistant to the two anti-virals we've got against it or if it mutates to become more virulent.
Papo1489
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
nah i think i mite use an oxygen mask like in hospital and have a cannister in my room, that should stop me from breathing it in i hope
Tyrannosaurus Cal
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It only increases the panic... if it gets really bad and I'm actually fearing for my health then I suppose I might.

Before then, I'm going to cough/sneeze/breathe freely. :p:
JMonkey
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by FTC199)
hand washing is only effective when you dry your hands on a towel/paper towel, dryers do nothing to get rid of bacteria!
Why not use an alcohol rub then? Then its self drying (and very portable too) Who'd use a dryer or towel anyway might as well wipe your hands on faeces.

EDIT for clarity: what I mean by this, is the ones you find in public toilets, which are probably riddled with bacteria, ie dryer towels/hot air things.
M1R4J
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Depends on the seriousness. (In my area that is)
Pink Liquid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by StotheL)
I absolutely agree. Remember the whole SARS epidemic, and bird flu? Did it sweep over the world? No, and if this whole thing begins to directly affect my life then I'll start worrying.
This is spreading 5x as quick...thought you might like to note that. It is a statistic that has already been broadcasted on news of other countries...why they haven't mentioned '5x' on UK news...I've no idea??? :confused:
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Papo1489)
nah i think i mite use an oxygen mask like in hospital and have a cannister in my room, that should stop me from breathing it in i hope
Yer, yer, great idea. :facepalm:
emilyyy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Pink Liquid)
This is spreading 5x as quick...thought you might like to note that. It is a statistic that has already been broadcasted on news of other countries...why they haven't mentioned '5x' on UK news...I've no idea??? :confused:
It's spreading more quickly, yes. That's why the world's so concerned. This thing is spreading from human to human where as bird 'flu never got to that point.
However this virus isn't half as deadly. It may spread quickly, but the fatalities have been very few so far. Only one outside of Mexico, remember.
Sarahl89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
FTC199
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by JMonkey)
Why not use an alcohol rub then? Then its self drying (and very portable too) Who'd use a dryer or towel anyway might as well wipe your hands on faeces.
alcohol rub would work as it is against viral particles (like swine flu)

when you wash your hands soap opens up the skin so that there are more bacteria present, if you do not dry your hands or you use a hand dryer then these bacteria are still there and therefore you have gone against the entire purpose of washi your hands (to remove bacteria) but siping them on hand towel gets rid of as many bacteria as possible. this is about the most interesting thing i learnt during microbiology!
JMonkey
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by FTC199)
alcohol rub would work as it is against viral particles (like swine flu)

when you wash your hands soap opens up the skin so that there are more bacteria present, if you do not dry your hands or you use a hand dryer then these bacteria are still there and therefore you have gone against the entire purpose of washi your hands (to remove bacteria) but siping them on hand towel gets rid of as many bacteria as possible. this is about the most interesting thing i learnt during microbiology!
Now I'm confused...

Just use an alcohol rub full stop. Funilly enough there aren't too many basins on the high street. That's what ima saying. Anyway good information.
Subcutaneous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
alcohol gel can't replace good old soap and water really
JMonkey
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Subcutaneous)
alcohol gel can't replace good old soap and water really
Which of course you can carry around you in tank and sink form like some reverse flame thrower. I'm just saying carry a bottle of alcohol rub for when you are out and about, I'm not saying don't wash your hands at all.
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Which of course you can carry around you in tank and sink form like some reverse flame thrower. I'm just saying carry a bottle of alcohol rub for when you are out and about, I'm not saying don't wash your hands at all.

well yeah when out and about but obviously there is such thing as toilets in

plus you should be washing your hands anyway after sneezing, coughing, sex and elimination
JMonkey
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Subcutaneous)
well yeah when out and about but obviously there is such thing as toilets in public
Ok I give up.

I've heard it's best to get naked and smear yourself in your own faces which stops all known forms of infection like a magic shield. :rolleyes:

Public toilets. :rolleyes:

Carry a bottle of alcohol gel it is more portable. That is what I'm saying, obviously if you have access to a sink use that too!

Here's hand washing procedure from what I learnt of a brief stint in hospital. Hygeine lecture stuff:

Don't use a non disposable towel or any towel that is pull down or that cannot be immediately disposed of (they are probably more a source of infection than a source of infection removal) wash hands and wrists thoroughly, and in between fingers backs of hands and thumbs which most people miss, refrain from wearing jewelry.

Use the alcohol gel particularly if there is no actual dirt on your hands, other wise blood or faeces use a hand basin to remove the dirt, and ensure you use disposable paper towels, don't wipe hands dry on any surface you cannot dispose of immediately, if handling an infected patient all hand towels, aprons, gloves etc go in the contaminated waste bin, otherwise use the normal bins for disposal of towels etc if just washing hands or doing general cleaning.

There you go hand washing 101. I can't believe I actually listened to something in those lectures, I fell asleep more often. Even dosed with coffee.
n00dl.
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Kaykiie)
Yes, it will be wooden and turn me into a green faced, strechy master of disguise...

Mwahahahahahaaaaa...

Ace film, "The Mask"

i'd fashion a bong out of it.
you know the air's clean
in a mask smoking green
bansheeee*
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
WHY do I have to be in england now its not even in ireland !!!!!
n00dl.
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sarahl89)
o o o o o o yes! =]
Matthew_Lowson
Report 11 years ago
I may do if it gets big in my area, Though hopefully with 5 from 60,000,000 infected here that I'll be ok
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ok I give up.

I've heard it's best to get naked and smear yourself in your own faces which stops all known forms of infection like a magic shield. :rolleyes:

Public toilets. :rolleyes:

Carry a bottle of alcohol gel it is more portable. That is what I'm saying, obviously if you have access to a sink use that too!

Here's hand washing procedure from what I learnt of a brief stint in hospital. Hygeine lecture stuff:

Don't use a non disposable towel or any towel that is pull down or that cannot be immediately disposed of (they are probably more a source of infection than a source of infection removal) wash hands and wrists thoroughly, and in between fingers backs of hands and thumbs which most people miss, refrain from wearing jewelry.

Use the alcohol gel particularly if there is no actual dirt on your hands, other wise blood or faeces use a hand basin to remove the dirt, and ensure you use disposable paper towels, don't wipe hands dry on any surface you cannot dispose of immediately, if handling an infected patient all hand towels, aprons, gloves etc go in the contaminated waste bin, otherwise use the normal bins for disposal of towels etc if just washing hands or doing general cleaning.

There you go hand washing 101. I can't believe I actually listened to something in those lectures, I fell asleep more often. Even dosed with coffee.
wow well done- i never knew that

(btw im being sarcastic)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.39%
Virtual campus tours/open days (99)
22.86%
Live streaming events (39)
9.01%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.47%
A uni comparison tool (99)
22.86%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.4%