Transfer motorbike NCB to car insurance

Watch
ninja_penguin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
If you have some years of no claims bonus on a motorcycle insurance contract thing, can you use those years to get a discount on car insurance?

If so, which insurers allow this? If not all..

CT: How our members found super cheap motorbike insurance quotes
carldalton0
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
i dont think you can.
I had two years NCB on my bike, and couldnt transfere them with any insurance company I tired.
My dad also had 15years NCB on his 5 bikes, and was only a named driver on a car, and when he came to get his own car insurance they didnt accept the bike NCB. or the car NCB as he was only a named driver, but now some accept NCB for named drivers. Also, most recently he has 2 years NCB on his own car, and when he came to insure a van, he couldt get his NCB for that,

SO, I dont think they allow NCB to carry over from diffrent categories, eg, car, van and bike. you may get a discount if you stay with the same insurance company tho.
s_s
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think you can, my boyfriend has a motorbike and he says it's not possible.
However, the good thing about them not being transferrable is that any speeding convictions etc you might have on a motorbike won't affect car insurance, and vice versa. Win some, lose some I guess lol.
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
1) Wrong forum
2) No you can't since it's hardly the same thing is it?

(Original post by s_s)
However, the good thing about them not being transferrable is that any speeding convictions etc you might have on a motorbike won't affect car insurance, and vice versa. Win some, lose some I guess lol.
I think you'll find that speeding convictions etc go on your driving licence, and do apply to both car and motorcycle insurance... sorry!
s_s
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Schleigg)
1) Wrong forum

I think you'll find that speeding convictions etc go on your driving licence, and do apply to both car and motorcycle insurance... sorry!
Not on elephant.co.uk car insurance they certainly don't. Not for sp30 at least, I have had this confirmed by three telephone advisors there as I was sceptical, but they said it didn't carry over at all, and the car insurance premium didn't go up.
ninja_penguin
Rep:
?
aww nuts..ok kool thanks all

sorry for wrong forumings btw, thanks for moving
jaw
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by s_s)
I don't think you can, my boyfriend has a motorbike and he says it's not possible.
all convictions are on your licence regardless I beleive

SOME companies do take ncb into consideration. They wont give you like for like, but I've heard of people using their bike ncb to get a small amount off car insurance. we're not talking much though, for example, 2 years might get you 20% discount of what it would get you if it was car NCB
s_s
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jaw)
all convictions are on your licence regardless I beleive
I absolutely thought so too, and from what I can tell with a quick google so does the rest of the internet, but see my above reply - it appears not to be true (at least not on elephant.co.uk), as three advisors on different occasions told me that they don't count bike convictions on car insurance, and the premium did not go up at all. So maybe it's elephant.co.uk who are getting it wrong, but still a helpful tip for anyone who has both bike and car insurance.
carldalton0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by s_s)
I absolutely thought so too, and from what I can tell with a quick google so does the rest of the internet, but see my above reply - it appears not to be true (at least not on elephant.co.uk), as three advisors on different occasions told me that they don't count bike convictions on car insurance, and the premium did not go up at all. So maybe it's elephant.co.uk who are getting it wrong, but still a helpful tip for anyone who has both bike and car insurance.
Theres no diffrence between a car conviction or bike conviction on your licence, they all have the same offence code, and dont state what it was done on, so mabey elephant.co.uk were meaning the conviction didnt make your quote higher,
alltho i got 6 points:rolleyes: , my insurance is the same with or without, because im still in the hight rish catagory, under 22, male and no ncb :mad:
s_s
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by carldalton0)
Theres no diffrence between a car conviction or bike conviction on your licence, they all have the same offence code, and dont state what it was done on, so mabey elephant.co.uk were meaning the conviction didnt make your quote higher,
alltho i got 6 points:rolleyes: , my insurance is the same with or without, because im still in the hight rish catagory, under 22, male and no ncb :mad:
I'm pretty sure they didn't mean that. Conversation went like:
Me: Hi, I want to put my boyfriend onto my car insurance
Elephant person: Ok... (asks loads of questions about name, DOB etc) does he regularly drive any other vehicle?
M: Yes, he owns a motorbike.
E: Ok... (asks lots more questions) and does he have any convictions in the past 5 years?
M: Yes, he has an sp30 on his motorbike.
E: Ah, we don't count motorbike convictions on car insurance, unless they involve drink or drugs.
M: Are you sure?
E: Yes.

As I had to check with my parents it was ok and then check with my boyfriend the date he got his licence, I had to make the same call three times. Each time, they go through the same questions in the same order, and each time they said the same thing, so it wasn't just one idiot who didn't know what they were talking about. The premium also didn't go up at all on my car, and my boyfriend is only one year older than me and has an sp30 (and is male obv) so you would normally expect it to be higher.
Ergo, I concluded that whilst bike and car convictions do go on your licence and will summate, elephant.co.uk do NOT count bike convictions on car insurance!!
originalbeej
Report 11 years ago
Looking at doing the same myself as have 2 years NCB on my motorbike but none on my car.

So far looking online have found that Direct line take it in to account, and tesco if over 25. Some others listed on Money Saving Expert

Check out these links:
http://www.directline.com/motor/newi...m#motorbikencd
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=760771

Probably best to call to check. Most of these companies have 0845 no.s so use http://saynoto0870.com/search.php to find the cheap no.

Let me know if you find anything
http://www.tesco-car-insurance.co.uk/discounts.htm
warranty-ideal
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Natwest car insurance did this for me, meant I had one years NCB at 17!
ninja_penguin
Rep:
?
here's an idea..

say i have 2yrs NCB on a bike, and then sign up with directline for car insure (say they take into account the 2yrs NCB). after staying with them for a year (no claims) that means i have 2 bike years + 1 car year NCB. Would this = 3 car years if i switched from directlineto a different random (ahem cheaper) insurer?? hmm intresting idea :P:
Illuminati
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Schleigg)
according to lexham a seventeen year old having one years ncb on a moped equates to 30% off premium for thier car insurance; im sure this also applies to full motorbike insurance with them.

however i think the original bike insurance has to be with them though.
aroshi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just an update on 3rd of June 2011
I called some companies and here are the results:
Churchill - no
Virgin - no
Direct Line - no
Lloyds Tsb - no
Post Office - no
Quinn Direct - no
Adrian Flux - no
Tesco - yes
Carol Nash - yes but only if bike is insured with them
eCar/eBike - don't call them, they will charge you GBP 1.08+ a minute

Short answer - Only Tesco agreed to use my bike NCD on car policy but please note that only 1 vehicle can be registered on one policy, hence your bike policy will not be able to use that NCD. And one more thing - bike has be over 260cc.

Good luck
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by carldalton0)
i dont think you can.
I had two years NCB on my bike, and couldnt transfere them with any insurance company I tired.
My dad also had 15years NCB on his 5 bikes, and was only a named driver on a car, and when he came to get his own car insurance they didnt accept the bike NCB. or the car NCB as he was only a named driver, but now some accept NCB for named drivers. Also, most recently he has 2 years NCB on his own car, and when he came to insure a van, he couldt get his NCB for that,

SO, I dont think they allow NCB to carry over from diffrent categories, eg, car, van and bike. you may get a discount if you stay with the same insurance company tho.
Some do named driver no claims bonuses, but only usually if you stay with the same company, if you get what i mean.
malkcontent
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I just tried Tesco and they told me they wouldn't accept NC for motorbike ! booo!
Vrooo....oops
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by malkcontent)
I just tried Tesco and they told me they wouldn't accept NC for motorbike ! booo!
The website says you need 2 years NC's.

http://metafaq.tescofinance.com/help...oclaims_to_car
George171012
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The old Tesco Car Insurance website also says you need 2 years NC's so Vrooo....oops Must be correct
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (658)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (836)
42.52%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (383)
19.48%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.53%

Watched Threads