Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.freewebs.com/felixshtmlhelp

thats my site. it aint very good but ive had to learn all that coding in 2 weeks over the net. well, i didnt have to, but i did. i would appreciate any help or suggestions for the site. thankyou

oh yea, and check out http://www.projectrockstar.com
    best game on the net

EDIT: links dont work... why?

ReputationRep:
    It says page cannot be displayed.
    What is the full URL to your site?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by felixjmorgan)
    You have to either use http:// before or use the little insert link button above the posting box.

ReputationRep:
    working now. thanks

ReputationRep:
    feedback anyone?

ReputationRep:
    The alert box gets abit annoying when jumping back and forth between the site and the links, that's going to put your users off. There's also afew javascript errors in one of the sites you have a link to.
    I don't think it's really a good idea to try and teach ppl html if you don't have a full grasp of it yourself. You don't even list the basics....

<html>
    <head>
    <title> My Page</title>
    </head>
    <body bgcolor="#ccff00">
    <a href="http://www.yahoo.com>Yahoo!</a>
    <p>Welcome to my site!</p>
    </body>
    </html>

and so on.

I'm sorry but it looks like it was done in frontpage.

ReputationRep:
    it was done in notepad. whats bad about frontpage?
    and btw, its not really meant to be a serious tutorial, just testing to see if i could do it

what are the errors in the script please? thanks

ReputationRep:
    it was done in notepad. whats bad about frontpage?
    and btw, its not really meant to be a serious tutorial, just testing to see if i could do it

what are the errors in the script please? thanks
    Well it has alot of frontpage elements to it.
    There's nothing wrong w/ frontpage in general, one of my sites was done completely in frontpage, you can just tell when someone has used it.
    The script errors are on the cartoon site you linked to. It just doesn't look good when you link to sites like that.

ReputationRep:
    weebl and bob? can you suggest what i should put there instead please? thanks. youre being really helpful

ReputationRep:
    If that is your first effort then I am pretty impressed, even with a limited knowlege of html you have still built a nicely designed and well laid out site.

You need to work on your html a bit though - the link to the counter is broken (though this may not be your fault), youve missed of a ; on eah of your simple codes.

Also a couple of usibility issues, the navigation bar is not constant, and also the java script alret is just annoying - though i expect you were just testing to see if you could do it.

On the whole good work, and good luck.

Tom

ReputationRep:
    weebl and bob? can you suggest what i should put there instead please? thanks. youre being really helpful
    Just find another site that is comparable that doesn't popup a js error box. Seriously I would get rid of the alert box that comes up on page load.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    If that is your first effort then I am pretty impressed, even with a limited knowlege of html you have still built a nicely designed and well laid out site.

You need to work on your html a bit though - the link to the counter is broken (though this may not be your fault), youve missed of a ; on eah of your simple codes.

Also a couple of usibility issues, the navigation bar is not constant, and also the java script alret is just annoying - though i expect you were just testing to see if you could do it.

On the whole good work, and good luck.

Tom
    i have an idea about the home page thing. i will copy all the coding from the home page MINUS the pop up script and paste it into a new page. i will then change all the links to homepage to this new page. then when people load the page up first the pop up will appear, but when they click on home they wont.
    good idea?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.freewebs.com/felixshtmlhelp

thats my site. it aint very good but ive had to learn all that coding in 2 weeks over the net. well, i didnt have to, but i did. i would appreciate any help or suggestions for the site. thankyou

oh yea, and check out http://www.projectrockstar.com
    best game on the net

hey good to see someone interested, however, dont get too tempted to stick a load of annoying Jscript everywhere, style makes up way more than just scripting. dont knock design tools, they can help with tabling and layout.

i help some people with coding and stuff for the schl i used 2 go to, http://www.blueprintpublications.com however its not exactly easy to take apart and look at.

ReputationRep:
    cool. thanks. whats it all about? which scripts do you think i should take out? i had loads of them. these are just the ones ive left in!

ReputationRep:
    erm well the welcome button, most ppl dnt like that - although i am being a hypocrite and disallowing right click and highlight and view source on my pages but thats just because i can.

window.status="Why are you looking here? The website is up there^^^!!!"

those things upset fussy people too, well anyway what uve done is all good practise, just when u do a project clean it and make it friendly! impressive for a straight notepad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK0)
    erm well the welcome button, most ppl dnt like that - although i am being a hypocrite and disallowing right click and highlight and view source on my pages but thats just because i can.

window.status="Why are you looking here? The website is up there^^^!!!"

those things upset fussy people too, well anyway what uve done is all good practise, just when u do a project clean it and make it friendly! impressive for a straight notepad!

whats easier to use than notepad? its frustrating using it! i thought the window status was funny...

ReputationRep:
    errrm get a copy of M$ frontpage XP if u can ;-) its just easy bcos its like word, and u can use the HTML editor (however i dont always trust it so notepad gets fired up now and again) errm u could try macromedia dreamweaver and things on trial. its hard to see layout esp when u get tabling and things turning up.

lol well some people are fussy

ReputationRep:
    This was made in Notepad:-

www10.brinkster.com/thevoices1

under construction.

Yes it is pretty obvious if something has been made in Frontpage. But it's encouraging that you're NOT using frontpage ie you're learning webdesign from scratch so you can manipulate things better. Learn HTML first - the basics. Search for HTML Help Lissa on google and go to the Lissa Explains It All site. THat's great. And once you've mastered the basics - mess around with a little CSS which can really jazz up your site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeuroticSurgeon)
    This was made in Notepad:-

www10.brinkster.com/thevoices1

under construction.

Yes it is pretty obvious if something has been made in Frontpage. But it's encouraging that you're NOT using frontpage ie you're learning webdesign from scratch so you can manipulate things better. Learn HTML first - the basics. Search for HTML Help Lissa on google and go to the Lissa Explains It All site. THat's great. And once you've mastered the basics - mess around with a little CSS which can really jazz up your site.

i already know html. i used lissa explains but i didnt like it much. the best site is http://www.w3schools.com i used that for all my coding. i dont get css much though. i tried learning asp but its soooo hard!

ReputationRep:
    i have an idea about the home page thing. i will copy all the coding from the home page MINUS the pop up script and paste it into a new page. i will then change all the links to homepage to this new page. then when people load the page up first the pop up will appear, but when they click on home they wont.
    good idea?
    Why don't you try and write some javascript to set a cookie when someone gets the alert, and read it everytime they load that page to see whether thry have seen the alert before. It's not that hard to do and is a technique which is used quite a lot.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.